Sourdough starter & sourdough bread

• 319 Replies

Scribbler

Re: Sourdough starter & sourdough bread
« Reply #240 on: May 01, 2013, 11:00 »
How much salt to people add to the average loaf? I don't think I'm putting enough in, but have concerns about it inhibiting the action of the starter.

Currently using Dan's white starter, rescued after a few weeks' dormancy in the fridge. If you have left some for a while, it's worth draining off the top layer of water and using the thick gungy stuff at the bottom to get another starter going. After having three on the go - white, rye and spelt - I'm down to the one now to make life simpler. Especially with the warmer weather coming allegedly.

Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

allotmentann

« Reply #241 on: May 01, 2013, 13:29 »
Personally, I use a little more salt than most recipes recommend, I find 3-4 teaspoons to 1kg of flour is generally about right. I have not had any problems with it inhibiting the yeast, although I let things rise for ages anyway, so probably wouldn't notice! If you are worried you could add a little sugar or honey (but I don't like the addition of sugar unless I am making a sweet loaf), or you could do an autolyze which lets the yeast start working before you add the salt. The loaf I am making today uses this method and I love this bread.
http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2007/07/08/my-new-favorite-sourdough/
 :)

compostqueen

« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2013, 23:02 »
I like 10 g of sea salt per 500 g of flour but the advice now is to try and reduce it to 6 g. I've done that and you do notice it but I suppose if you're making a loaf flavoured with other things you might not notice it so much.  I made caraway rolls this week using less salt but they are still tasty  :)

Scribbler

« Reply #243 on: May 10, 2013, 10:14 »
Anyone tried freezing sourdough starter?

compostqueen

« Reply #244 on: May 10, 2013, 11:04 »
No, not yet as I thought it would be fine indefinitely in the fridge.  Give it a whirl. Nothing ventured an all that  :D

allotmentann

« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2013, 18:02 »
Just been reading the Richard Bertinet book 'Dough'  and he uses a 'ferment', pretty much the same thing but a bit stiffer and he says you can  store any that you won't be using in the freezer, I would think it would be fine, might just take a bit longer to get going again. Interestingly, he also tells you how to dry out your ferment and store it in granular form to rehydrate when you are ready to use it. :)

Scribbler

« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2013, 18:44 »
I've got to get one of his books. Still got some Christmas money. Do you recommend 'Dough' or 'Crust'?

allotmentann

« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2013, 19:15 »
 :blink: Actually it is 'Crust' I have been reading! I have just ordered 'Dough' having really enjoyed reading 'Crust', so I couldn't resist! Titles are too similar - it doesn't take much to get me muddled! I ordered 'Crust' as I have a lot of basic bread books, but might have known I would want both! :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2013, 06:32 »
No, not yet as I thought it would be fine indefinitely in the fridge.  Give it a whirl. Nothing ventured an all that  :D

I haven't, but I gave some starter to a friend that did, as she was going on holiday and it thawed and was still alive  :)

Augustus, my spelt starter lives in a jar in the fridge and only gets fed once a week.  He's survived at least a couple of years that way  :)  Must make some more sourdough on my next day off.  Eaten all the freezer supplies and I miss it.

compostqueen

« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2013, 21:59 »
Augustus! That's a posh name  :D  My son christened my sourdoughs Chas n Dave  :blush:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2013, 06:42 »
He is spelt wheat you know  ;)  :lol:

I was reading the packet as I mixed him and it said the romans brought spelt to the UK and the name just came to me  :D

Glad I'm not the only nutcase whose starter has a name  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2013, 11:41 »
 :D  Speaking of spelt, don't you just love bread made with it?  :tongue2:

allotmentann

« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2013, 16:10 »
I love spelt and rye, my  favourite flour at the moment though is probably the oak smoked malt, although I have not yet tried that in a sourdough. I love trying different flours and breads. the only bread I don't especially like is all white sandwich type bread, however good the flour. Just a little spelt or rye adds so much flavour. I have far too many breads on the go at the minute, plus assortments of starters and pre-ferments, but there are sooo many recipes that I want to try! :)

compostqueen

« Reply #253 on: May 12, 2013, 23:07 »
I must say I do like Michel Roux's recipe for white sandwich loaf. It's way tasty and smells gorgeous too. It has butter, milk and golden syrup in it and it's rather lovely  :)

allotmentann

« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2013, 07:46 »
I have only ever tried one Michel Roux recipe, I must try some more. Has he got a bread book or is it from a more general cookbook? (Being veggie limits the cookbooks I buy (good job really! :ohmy:), as I don't like to pay for pages and pages of recipes that are of no interest,  to get to the few that are!). It has just occurred to me that perhaps I would like sandwich bread better if I ate sandwiches! :nowink: It always ends up toasted, so is probably not a fair way to judge! :)   

xx
Sourdough starter

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post December 21, 2011, 11:00
by Lardman
xx
Help with sourdough starter

Started by allotmentann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post March 15, 2013, 07:48
by compostqueen
xx
Freezing Sourdough Starter

Started by oldgrunge on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 17:00
by maddave
xx
Bread thread (NOT SOURDOUGH)

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 18:14
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 38 queries.