Sourdough starter & sourdough bread

• 319 Replies

allotmentann

Re: Sourdough starter & sourdough bread
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2013, 06:34 »
Compostqueen, pittas are a doddle compared to making a loaf, I have made them for years and they are one of those things that once you have baked yourself you never, ever want to buy again!
Grannie, it just shows what  a challenge bread making is, there is always something to learn ready for the next bake!
Scribbler, I have days like that! I was really annoyed with myself as I put too much salt in my last loaf! Yuk! Unlike your mistakes it didn't taste so good! :(

compostqueen

« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2013, 17:51 »
Right! Got that Scribbler.  Will do  :D  I don't mind bready mishaps as they're always edible.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2013, 21:00 »
Compostqueen, pittas are a doddle compared to making a loaf, I have made them for years and they are one of those things that once you have baked yourself you never, ever want to buy again!
Grannie, it just shows what  a challenge bread making is, there is always something to learn ready for the next bake!
Scribbler, I have days like that! I was really annoyed with myself as I put too much salt in my last loaf! Yuk! Unlike your mistakes it didn't taste so good! :(

I think it is even worse if you forget to put the salt in. Now that is really foul!!

Anyone got the new Paul Holly wood bread book. I got it from the library and am being tempted to buy yet another cookery book :wub: Any one tried any of his recipes?

compostqueen

« Reply #228 on: April 17, 2013, 21:45 »
I didn't put any salt in the first lot of sd pancakes I made and they really needed it. Just a bit but you notice it when it's missing  :)

allotmentann

« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2013, 08:25 »
Mrs Bee - bread without salt is worse, it is true.
I am interested in your opinion of the Paul Hollywood book,  if it is based on the series I don't think it is for me as he includes too many recipes based around the bread. I love his enthusiasm for baking though. I would quite like to try his previous books if they include more actual bread recipes. The best bread book I have bought recently is by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou after being recommended it by a lady who teaches bread making. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2013, 11:40 »
Oooooh another book I've not got  :D  I use the library though to read them in the first instance, and they buy them if I like them  :)

Scribbler

« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2013, 11:47 »
Look out for breadmaking books by Richard Bertinet.

One's called Dough, one's called Crust. One comes with a DVD too.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

compostqueen

« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2013, 12:11 »
I've seen those advertised on Kindle but I've seen them in the library so I can pre-read them for free.
A DVD is a good idea as there's no substitute for seeing it being done is there  :)  I re-read Dan the other day as I want to embark on some new breads. I liked the look of the Golspie loaves  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2013, 14:05 »
Oooooh another book I've not got  :D  I use the library though to read them in the first instance, and they buy them if I like them  :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do that too. If I hear of a book I might like I order it from the library first and then try out the recipes.
When you have a cookery library of 400+ anything new has to earn its place on the shelf.

Also I got caught with a couple of books by well known chefs and the recipes weren't up to much and some of them didn't work. They don't always test drive the recipes in cook books, or test drive them in home kitchens.

allotmentann

« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2013, 16:07 »
No, you are right about the recipes not always being correct, I think that was what put me off a previous Paul Hollywood book, I read a number of reviews saying the recipes were not accurate. That is the last thing you want. The Richard Bertinet ones are on my wish list. I ought to try the library first I know, I just seem to run out of time. I do tend to read reviews quite thoroughly  before purchasing, not always well enough though. The last Dan Lepard book I bought (Exceptional Breads) turned out to be the bread section in its entirety from a previous book, not a single new recipe in there. I was very disappointed. One of the reviews had mentioned it and I forgot! :(

compostqueen

« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2013, 18:15 »
I agree that some recipes are not tested. I made a recipe recently involving pork fillet from a WW recipe book that was totally wrong.  I thought it wasn't following usual logic but I stuck with it thinking that the author knew best but sadly not  :nowink:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2013, 20:16 »
Sadly CQ many of the WW and Sliming World recipes don't work.  I think this is because they are members recipes that have been reprinted in the books. And alas not everyone's cooking skills or recipe writing skills are equal.

Actually the same can be said for some well known recipe magazines too. I have written many an email to them to point this out. One magazine was really good, tested the recipes, and apologised because they were wrong and I was right. And I was sent several free magazines to say sorry. :)

Allotmentann. I had a similar experience recently when I bought Eric Treuille's breadmaker book which was identical to his first book which had a different name. i think it is really naughty when they do that.
If you don't have the time to go to the library, can you order the books on line? They have just started this at our library and it is brilliant. I just order all the books I want and they email me when they are in.

allotmentann

« Reply #237 on: April 19, 2013, 07:30 »
Oooh! That is a new one on me! That sounds a bit more convenient. I will look into it. I am sure it would be a good idea as so often I get a book and there are only a couple of recipes that I will try.
   Accuracy is the reason that I like online websites, most of the ones that I use contain reviews and if ten people say something doesn't work - it probably doesn't! It also helps to address some of the niggles before trying. (Of course without reviews they can be wildly inaccurate!). However, my netbook is covered in all sorts! I dropped sugar all over the keyboard the other day! ::)
   Back on the sourdough topic, I am pleased, as I made my first sourdough loaf from my own homegrown starter yesterday and pizza with the excess and both worked out well. I thought my starter would never get going. I have been using one someone else gave me, but it is really satisfying to get your own going. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2013, 20:02 »
Oh well done you  :)  I think organic flour is very good for sourdough starter feeding as it has no additives and has not been sprayed, so more lives yeasts get to survive on it, so it is more active.  Organic flour is often cheaper in the shops than standard flour, which is a boon  :D

I made a soda bread today. Just had a small slice to try it. Lovely  :tongue2:

allotmentann

« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2013, 08:02 »
I think that you are right Compostqueen. I use only organic flour, my daughter was trying to get a  starter going with non-organic, and she couldn't get it bubbling at all, despite several attempts. Almost instant hooch on most occasions and nothing usable. She has been able to have some of mine at last! I bulk buy organic flour as I do so much baking which makes it a lot more affordable. :)

xx
Sourdough starter

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post December 21, 2011, 11:00
by Lardman
xx
Help with sourdough starter

Started by allotmentann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post March 15, 2013, 07:48
by compostqueen
xx
Freezing Sourdough Starter

Started by oldgrunge on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 17:00
by maddave
xx
Bread thread (NOT SOURDOUGH)

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 18:14
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 37 queries.