It seemed like a good idea at the time...

• 25 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
« on: October 17, 2012, 17:51 »
Have you ever done something in the garden that when you come back to it, you think whatever made me think that was a good thing?
When I put my runner bean frame up in the spring, I decided to make an A frame instead of the usual teepees. 
And for some unknown reason I put netting on it!  Why didn't somebody stop me!  It has taken me all afternoon to disentangle the bean stalks from just one side of the frame without destroying the netting. :blush:  Luckily I only had enough netting to cover one side so that is the worst bit done.  But note to self; Don't Do That Again!
Anne

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: It seemed like a good idea at the time...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 18:09 »
I did it one year with peas.

Never again  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 18:31 »
I think the lesson is net for keeping things out and canes,strings for climbing up.

Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 21:35 »
I did it one year with peas.

Never again  ::)

So did I Yorkie!

Never again...!

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 21:41 »
Actually Annen, thinking further about what you said, who here - like you, hasn't rushed out in Spring, with all these great plans, waved their arms about with joy and immediately changed the plans to do something entirely different, for no apparent reason?

I always do it, and Mrs Growster has to cock an eye at me sometimes, so I go red and try and extricate myself...;0(

One of my biggest failings has always been to leave too little room between rows! That's stopped now, with individual beds, so perhaps a thought process was derived from all that struggling to reach the carrots and the beetroot and the broad beans etc...

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 22:13 »

One of my biggest failings has always been to leave too little room between rows! That's stopped now, with individual beds, so perhaps a thought process was derived from all that struggling to reach the carrots and the beetroot and the broad beans etc...

So, it's not just me then! :ohmy: :lol:
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

baldy-bob

• It's got two choices....grow or no grow
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 22:36 »
I used net on a cane frame for my peas just like Annan with one devastating difference. I used tie wraps to fix the net to the frame. I ended up a jibbering idiot, by the time I'd cleared that lot off. Never ever again!!!!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 22:41 »
I feel so much better knowing I'm not alone!  :)

bainsk8

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 22:47 »
I have not done this but I keep forgetting where I have put bulbs and keep digging the damn things up, does this count?  :D
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 22:50 »

bainsk8  doesn't everybody do that?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 22:52 by Annen »

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 05:07 »

So, it's not just me then! :ohmy: :lol:

H ha haNige!

It's when they're so close together, that you can't hoe without over-balancing, which tends to flatten the rows quite well...;0)

allotmentann

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 06:22 »
You all have more patience than me - the net did not live to see another season after I did it! It was bad enough - and slow enough - getting them untangled from the wigwam this year
The other lesson learned is not to sow seeds in trays and pots too thickly, also impossible to untangle! :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 09:14 »
I have to net the top side of the runner beans on my Munty frame to deter the local sparrows whose idea of a fun morning is pecking all the flowers off!  :mad:
Yes, some of the beans do grow through the net, and yes, it is an absolute pain in the neck (and several other anatomical areas) to remove it intact, which is why it's still there at the moment!  :lol:

Not as bad as pea-netting though - just trying to unravel it and lay it out flat usually results in a full-on Basil Fawlty-type rant; wrestling it into position on the canes without it snagging or looking as if undertaken by someone blindfolded and possibly also intoxicated is usually the cue for neighbours with children to discreetly take them indoors!)  :nowink:
(Guess who used a modified wigwam with strings this year for the sugarsnaps?!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Spana

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 09:26 »
I once put old carpet tiles down both sides of raspberry canes hoping to keep the suckers from spreading into the path.

You need a strong arm to pull up carpet tiles with raspberry canes matted into them  :mad:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 10:04 »
I once put old carpet tiles down both sides of raspberry canes hoping to keep the suckers from spreading into the path.

You need a strong arm to pull up carpet tiles with raspberry canes matted into them  :mad:
Oh yes, I have inherited some astroturf paths which I am busy, very tediously de-weeding at the moment.  I only keep it because it looks so good when weed free.

xx
Well seemed like a good idea at the time

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 16:39
by PennyS
xx
Good or bad idea ?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 09:33
by cAnAry53
xx
Was green manure a good idea??

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 08:38
by SMD66
xx
Good idea to feed strawbs?

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 20:15
by Trillium

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 37 queries.