Are allotment owners responsible for spreading potato blight?

• 90 Replies

allotmentann

Re: Are allotment owners responsible for spreading potato blight?
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 17:03 »
That is a very interesting article and good to hear. It is very nice to hear the other side of the argument, especially from someone with such good credentials. The only thing that concerns me is the encouragement to grow 'sarpo' potatoes. Whilst I can see it is a good idea to grow blight resistant varieties, it worries me that if we all did that, older varieties would die out that  may be very important to keep. Mass growing of one variety (or a few) usually is not a good idea in the long run :(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 18:05 »
Response from Sarvari defending gardeners (and appealing for funds  ;) )
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9643877/The-fight-against-potato-blight.html

How very, very  interesting. Several things in the article that have been thinking about since the potato councils little outburst.

I do get a little fed up when any environmental problems are lumped on the doorstep of us gardeners.

Growster...

« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2012, 21:11 »
Follow the money - anyone who wants to put certain ideas in place has an interest, either financially, or her/his job.

Take no notice of the Thought Police, they get paid to endanger lifestyles, and they like telling disingenuous reporters how to write stuff!

Me? 'Charlotte' all over the place next year, and we don't do blight, as we protect the halms...

Allotmenteers know better don't we!

allotmentann

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2012, 07:48 »
Follow the money - anyone who wants to put certain ideas in place has an interest, either financially, or her/his job.

Take no notice of the Thought Police, they get paid to endanger lifestyles, and they like telling disingenuous reporters how to write stuff!

Me? 'Charlotte' all over the place next year, and we don't do blight, as we protect the halms...

Hi Growster what do you do to protect the haulms? I would be very interested in this as I would like to grow some spuds and don't particularly want to grow sarpo varieties, so anything I can do to protect them would be good :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2012, 09:22 »

Yep, CHarlottes and Juliettes and Cara this year for us and we have 2 large dustbins full.
Had a little blight but we dealt with it straightaway.

Growster...

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2012, 17:18 »
We sprayed them, Ann, pure and simple.

The great old gentleman on an adjoining plot noticed a few dark marks a little later on, and we then cut them right down to ground level.

None of the potatoes were blighted, and we used Bordeaux Mixture, which apparently will be banned soon. I have no qualms about using chemicals to treat disease and some persistent pests, if that is the only answer. I always look to a natural fertiliser wherever possible, but what is evolution and research for, if there is no chance of using our newly acquired knowledge to deal with pests and diseases, because a bureaucrat decrees something in a country far away?

If the issue is that allotmenteers are thought to be responsible for spreading blight, then that same faceless bureaucrat must think up a way to allow some sort of alternative. Until then, I will use what is necessary to produce vegtables for my family, in the best way I can.

I have learned here that the best way to deal with such pests as carrot fly, really does require a physical barrier, and on advice from many good people here, they have been proved absolutely right! I don't think this will help spuds though!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 17:19 by Growster... »

Growster...

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2012, 17:18 »
Good news Mrs B! Delighted that you got a big result, I really rated our Charlotte this year, they've been superb!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2012, 18:26 »
None of the potatoes were blighted, and we used Bordeaux Mixture, which apparently will be banned soon.

You're fine for a few years yet  :)
https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/garden/getfullproduct.asp?productid=7915&pageno=1
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

allotmentann

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2012, 18:28 »
Thanks for the reply Growster,  it looks as if my potatoes will have to  take their chances then! :)

Growster...

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2012, 19:58 »
None of the potatoes were blighted, and we used Bordeaux Mixture, which apparently will be banned soon.

https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/garden/getfullproduct.asp?productid=7915&pageno=1

Hey! Thanks soooo much Yorkie!

I really glaze over at gummint sites where they tell us 'what is best', but this enables me to believe I'm right to carry on doing what I reckon is best - there's no need to waste time listening to these guys any more (not that I ever did anyway), and to get on with spreading a few veg among our good friends locally, who can't grow them, for whatever reason.

I suppose that the bureaucrats will ban all Hessayon's books soon, as they're full of names of chemicals which should be shown the cross of death. I bet they hate the Pears Cyclopaedia of Gardening...

Can't be a***d to sit and wonder at their diktats; these books were presents from our two girls, so they're precious - and extremely informative too!

Growster...

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2012, 20:09 »
Thanks for the reply Growster,  it looks as if my potatoes will have to  take their chances then! :)

Ann, always follow your own instincts in subjects like this - if you don't mind me sitting chatting with you.

There are far too many advisors from 'gummint' 'authoritative', websites, and not enough real gardeners' posts from excellent sites like here, (from people who actually know what they're doing, because they've been there, done that), and although everyone understands that there are rules, they're there to be considered; you nod your head in understanding, and then place them in the back of the cupboard for sometime in the future...;0)

There are hundreds of companies in garden products, who will leap to the latest epigram from Brussels, and make money accordingly. As Yorkie says, Bordeaux is easily available next year, and you'll get get great spuds next summer, into the bargain!

We were lucky, but most of our toms suffered and died - and we sprayed too! Take some, lose some, it's the way we all work on plots, big and small!

Shrugged shoulders...

Big grin!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2012, 23:20 »

It was revoked, so does get removed from sale next year, (Buy some more quick  ::) ) but then you've got 2 summers to use it up!

FOOD AND ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION ACT 1985
CONTROL OF PESTICIDES REGULATIONS 1986
Monthly Revocation Notice

Notice is hereby given that in exercise of the powers conferred by Regulation 5 of the Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1510) (as amended) and of all other powers enabling them in that behalf, the Secretary of State, and the Scottish Ministers (as regards Scotland) and the Welsh Ministers and the Secretary of State (acting jointly as regards Wales) have:

(a)   Revoked approval, for the advertisement, sale, supply, storage and use of the products listed in the Schedule below in respect of the Notice of Approval numbers shown.

(b)   Given approval until 28 February 2013 for the advertisement, sale and supply by any persons of existing stocks of the pesticide products listed in the Schedule in respect of the Notice of Approval numbers shown.

(c)   Given approval until 28 February 2015 for storage and use by any persons of the pesticide products listed in the Schedule in respect of the Notice of Approval numbers shown.

Date of Revocation:    (a)   28 February 2011

Date of expiry:   (b)   28 February 2013

(c)   28 February 2015

ALL OTHER CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL REMAIN UNCHANGED

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2012, 23:22 »
PS I think the Bayer Dithane replacement is going to continue to be available after that.

I'll have to check on that ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2012, 09:12 »
Argh, hadn't spotted that!  Will update my database ... !

Pity that CRD hasn't updated its database to show the revised expiry date ...

(Sorry Growster  ??? )
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:15 by Yorkie »

Salmo

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2012, 10:12 »
It will be good riddance to Bordeaux Mixture. Who would really want to put all that copper into their soil anyway.

I can never understand why it is approved for use on organic crops.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Following potato blight

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 18:48
by Jonajo
xx
potato blight

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 15:18
by bonfire
xx
Potato Blight

Started by chris172 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 00:35
by chris172

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 38 queries.