Are allotment owners responsible for spreading potato blight?

• 90 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Are allotment owners responsible for spreading potato blight?
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 21:33 »
And it's not a new allegation either.  http://www.potato.org.uk/news/fight-against-blight

So we should all try to do something to help and become a scout.

http://www.potato.org.uk/publications/gardeners-advice-potato-blight

I was happy to volunteer as a scout for our allotment site as apparently there aren't many in E Sussex, but, despite my contacting them, I never received the pack they said they werwe sending.  I then got no response to my chasing emails.  Very disappointing to be honest.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 21:49 »
I had to chase them a lot to get my sample pack too.  They were very busy this year because of then high level of blight. 

Contact them again and they'll probably respond now things are quieter.

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 07:24 »
Its my first year on my allotment and no one had a crop of spuds all being hit by blight.
My father in law is an old irishman and told me they used to use 'blue stone and soda crystals' solution, they sprayed the crops as soon as they peeped through and they held off the blight, we're going to try it next year.

dugless

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 07:45 »
all this chemical use ??? where dose it go with the organic lobby?
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 08:07 »
Its my first year on my allotment and no one had a crop of spuds all being hit by blight.
My father in law is an old irishman and told me they used to use 'blue stone and soda crystals' solution, they sprayed the crops as soon as they peeped through and they held off the blight, we're going to try it next year.

That sounds rather like Bordeaux Mix.

a - It's illegal to sell after February 2013

b - It's illegal to use after February 2015

c - It's illegal to use home made pesticides/fungicides

Here's the message from the site owner on the latter:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/home-made-pesticides

The above are facts and this site will not condone breaking the law. What you get up to in your own garden is you own business and should be kept as such.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 08:30 »
I presume this is another case of 'follow the money'...

What next? Price rises in Organic foods in supermarkets? Or will they drop, because they're grown in more effective conditions which fight against blight?

Will the supermarkets buy more stuff from out of the EU, where they don't have the same controls?

What is happening to the price of potato futures?

Cynical? Me?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32 »

I'm afraid all we have available to the amateur is Fruit and Vegetable Disease Control :

http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/data/Products/f/Fruit-and-Vegetable-Disease-Control.aspx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 08:34 »

It doesn't dugless.  This is the organic advice:

http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/organic-and-cultural-control-of-potato.html

HHH

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 08:56 »
Reviewing all of these comments it does seem that the responsible gardner/plot holder has a number of problems in producing a healthy crop and not infecting others, be they neighbouring plot-holders or gardens, or indeed commercial potato farms:

1) We have dwindling resource to chemicals that will reduce the problem of blight
2) There is obviously a massive need for education amongst plot-holders on what to do when blight threatens
3) Althought the Potato Council encourages people to report and to test for blight, it does seem that they are under-resourced to deal with the response
4) As a result of the above, the blight map is inaccurate in some areas, which may lead others into assuming that as no problem is shown in their area they are safe from disease
5) Whatever we do, there is an acknowledged problem with outgrade piles that may not be properly controlled on potato farms

So what to do?

It does seem to me that there is a PR exercise going on to win sympathy for inevitable price rises by putting part of the blame on "amateurs". Perhaps the amateurs should show a little expertise by responding to the "professionals" with a few suggestions of their own:

a) More proactive work by the Potato Council in compiling and disseminating the blight map - actively contacting secretaries of allotment associations (and potato farms) throughout the growing season to ensure ccurate and timely reporting.
b) Allotment associations to adopt an evangelistic attitude to ensure that all plot holders are aware of the dangers - and comply with the instructions for control, reporting and disposal
c) As a corollary to the above this would need Tenancy agreements produced by Asociations or Councils to specifically include blight prevention and control as a condition of tenancy

Just a few thoughts on possible responses - and I'm sure there are others. Who would take this forward? Would it be the NSALG?

dugless

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45 »

It doesn't dugless.  This is the organic advice:

http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/organic-and-cultural-control-of-potato.html
Thank you  :) that is very informative I did not get blight this year though alot of people on site thought they had blight, but on seeing the pictures of the blight what they had was ordanary dieback.

Salmo

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 10:35 »

5) Whatever we do, there is an acknowledged problem with outgrade piles that may not be properly controlled on potato farms

Not just on farms. Blighted potatoes are often put on to the compost heap or left in a heap at the side of the plot where some of them sprout the next Spring. Potato parings, where blighted lumps have been cut out, are also put on to compost heaps.

Look afer your own but also keep an eye your neighbours.

Regarding the Potato Council reporting sytstem. The important reports are the very early ones. Once blight is widespread, farmers, who are their real customers and fund them, will be spraying as routine anyway.

Trillium

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 18:43 »
Considering where the source of blight even comes from, gardeners can't be blamed. If anything, it's the weather that spreads it many, many miles and no one can prove with certainty whether it's passed on from infected farm plants or home grower plants. As for a source, it's believed that blight originally came in with shipments of guano from South America, and you can bet that it wasn't the poor people importing and buying the stuff.

Blight is not a 'it's your fault' situation, it's everyone's problem. But with blight treatment, you also need to look at just what heavy dosing with toxic chemicals is doing to the soil, the environment, as well as people working near the chemicals.

That headline is sensationalism at it's highest and the originating writer must get his/her head out of the sand.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 18:54 »
In one word.....................No!
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 19:40 »
I don't blame anyone for blight outbreaks as its been a shocking year for everyone. Extreme wet weather is the cause of all the problems.
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Potato Blight already???

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 13:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
Is this potato blight ?

Started by IvanAllotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 16:57
by DD.
xx
potato blight

Started by ian000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 19:58
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 37 queries.