Dog in garden

• 20 Replies

Beano

Dog in garden
« on: October 15, 2012, 12:23 »
I wonder if anyone can tell me what the law is regarding dogs straying into gardens.
We have a next but one neighbour who has a jack russell that's allowed to roam. He has been in our garden several times and in the field behind us. We have not got gates to stop him but is it my responsibility to keep their dog out?  I have spoken (nicely) to the owner and told her that I sometimes let my chickens roam our garden and that I am worried about what would happen if her dog came in during this time.  Not even an hour after speaking to her the dog was out again. This time in the back field and he had spotted the chicken. Fortunately I turned up just in time to see him off. I am worried that the dog is in the garden harassing the chickens while we are at work .
Is there anything I can do to stop this?
El.

compostqueen

Re: Dog in garden
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 12:47 »
I wouldn't let my hens roam free in the garden if I was not there to keep an eye on them. It's not just the dog that they're at risk from but foxes, feral ferrets etc, cats and rats

I'd keep them in a run while you're not there to supervise. Better safe than sorry.

In an ideal world you wouldn't have neighbours dogs in your garden. I have the same problem and it does my head in as they call in to have a poo and then go home  >:(

I speak about foxes, ferrets and rats as I've suffered with them all unfortunately

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:49 »
I wish I knew for sure but in the meantime I suspect your dog warden will know the rules.  

If a Jack Russell can get in - are they not fox proof then?
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Beano

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 13:06 »
Thanks for the replies.
I wouldn't let my hens roam free in the garden if I was not there to keep an eye on them. It's not just the dog that they're at risk from but foxes, feral ferrets etc, cats and rats

I'd keep them in a run while you're not there to supervise. Better safe than sorry.
They are fox proofed because they are in a run while we are at work.
They are only let out to roam while we are about in the garden. The garden i quite large and the chickens were down the bottom end out of sight when I just about got there in time to see the dog.
I am worried that the dog is harassing them in their run while we are at work. Surely it can't be good for them to have this dog circling the run!

Prod

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 14:53 »
It is your neighbour's responsibility to keep the dog under control and not roam free. If it causes problems you can report them to the local council/RSPCA.  It sounds harsh but it is the law. Jack Russells are terriers and originally bred to hunt small mammals and however domesticated they are the instinct remains. Just think about all the reports of chidlren who have been bitten never mind chickens.  When I was younger we had a beautiful pedigree golden cocker spaniel from a rescue centre. We got her because spaniels are supposed to be good temepered. We had her 3 yrs  but something must have happened in her past as she was always growling and snappy. The day she bit my mum we had her put to sleep. You cannot take risks or assume anything with dogs no matter how well trained they are.   Just my opinion.

Beano

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 16:05 »
Thank you Prod. I was hoping someone would agree that is was their responsibility to keep their dog out of my garden and not my responsibility to keep him out. I have done my very best to make sure that the chickens are safe from foxes and the likes and it's a shame if they still get hassled by this terrier. I don't want to leave it until he kills one of them before getting it sorted.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 16:21 »
I have to agree with prod. We have also had problems with our neighbours dogs and had to call the RSPCA out.

Prod

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 17:04 »
If you are on good terms with them I would approach them and quietly but confidently tell them that they are responsible for their dogs actions no matter whether it just comes into your garden or what damage it causes If they are not so approachable or you wish to distance yourself  write a polite but firm note saying that the dog must be kept out of your gardens, chickens or not, and that action can be taken.  Depends how confident you feel. There are websites that will give you free advice and copies of letters you can use  Hope that helps..

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 17:12 »
Definitely their responsibility.  When we moved into our last house in the Essex countryside.  We had a letter to say that fencing had to be put around the garden to make sure that if we had any dogs or other animals, they can't get out and worry the local sheep etc.

That would include chickens.  After all, farmers are allowed to shoot sheep worrying dogs.

I hate it when people can't control their animals.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 20:52 »
Definitely their responsibility.  When we moved into our last house in the Essex countryside.  We had a letter to say that fencing had to be put around the garden to make sure that if we had any dogs or other animals, they can't get out and worry the local sheep etc.

That would include chickens.  After all, farmers are allowed to shoot sheep worrying dogs.

I hate it when people can't control their animals.

:ohmy:  Nasty sheep!!   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 21:00 »
No no no, you read it wrong! lol  I didn't mean sheep that worry dogs, but dogs that worry sheep!
sheep worrying dogs see????     :lol: :lol: :lol:

Helenaj

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 07:03 »
As the owner of two Jack Russells and numerous chooks, I see it as my responsibility to control my animals - of whatever type. Even the best behaved terrier has it inbred to chase anything fluffy and chickens are fair game, even if it just wants to play and stressing them out will not do them any good. Contact your local dog warden as already suggested on here - I think you'll find that allowing a dog to stray is classed as  breaking the law and she will be liable for any damage that animal does. However, you do not need the heartbreak of seeing any of your chooks mauled so contact them as soon as possible. Personally, I'd make an official complaint as she seems the type not to be too bothered about where her dogs goes to, even after you've voiced your concerns to her.

Hope it works out for you.

As for sheep worrying dogs, we get constant trouble with flocks of sheep roaming the streets at night, terrorising the local dog population  :D

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26 »
I have a terrier who is never allowed to roam and that is how it should be. She is brilliant with my animals  including poultry and pet lambs. Recently, following flooding, she even had a hen who was near to death in her basket in the kitchen. Whilst she wasn't impressed she was really good with her. However, I would never leave her with any of them her instinct may prove too strong. :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beano

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 13:21 »
As for sheep worrying dogs, we get constant trouble with flocks of sheep roaming the streets at night, terrorising the local dog population  biggrin

I've come across those sheep in Maerdy. No terrier would mess with them :nowink:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 13:26 »
Don't you two start, I have enough trouble with ANHBUC!!    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
What have I got in my garden?

Started by woodburner on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 10:45
by woodburner
xx
Cat in my garden

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 28, 2014, 22:08
by nerdle
xx
fox in my garden

Started by cheekychick22 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 20:04
by cheekychick22
xx
Red mite in garden

Started by Spadefighter on The Hen House

51 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 21:44
by mumsy

Page created in 0.569 seconds with 36 queries.