Fertiliser for Leeks

• 4 Replies

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Fertiliser for Leeks
« on: October 13, 2012, 15:01 »
Should I give my leeks a feed at this time of the year and if so what should I use?
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Fertiliser for Leeks
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 15:31 »
I am by no means a fertiliser expert but I would fear that too much fertiliser at this time of year might produce weak growth which is susceptible to winter damage.

Happy to be corrected by others though.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 18:03 »
They really need to swell their bulbs now, Jazzbyrd, but actually, we just give them a little bit of liquid manure now and then, just to make them feel wanted!

The rain will make them get that much wider, but watch for them going to seed, and shooting skywards!

If that happens, you'll need to dig them up and heel them in a nice pleasant place so they can retire gracefully until you want to eat them.

We're contemplating the same scenario, so you're with friends!

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 20:40 »
Growster,any idea what I`ve done wrong to my leeks to make them start to bolt?

I`ve never grown them before and was feeling very proud of my 3 beautiful rows of ten in a row leeks,all looking the part......till I noticed a fat flower bud on one of them.I cut it out.

I didn`t manure the plot before I put them in,its a new part that we only recently took on.
This year has been so awful,the onions in the same `roots and onion` patch sat in puddles for the best of 2 months and mostly rotted and died. It`s still rather claggy and is puddling
readily now every time it rains.

Is there anything I can do to stop the other 29 leeks following suit??

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 05:59 »
I think that it depends on when you eventually planted them out Carollan. If they went in early this year, I'd reckon that they may well have been affected by all sorts of changing conditions over the last few months, and as a natural inclination to produce seeds in a crisis, then that may well be happening, in my opinion.

We planted ours out much later, (around early May), and that was after the first lot of seed even struggled to even germinate, which is a first! We've been feeding them with liquid manure, and that has really made a difference, but like you, there are some which are going to seed now. Last year, we planted over 300, and by Feb, most of them had bolted, but I'd planted them out far too early!

One way to slow all this, is to lift them, and heel them in somewhere safe, where they can keep fresh, but not grow too much more. It may be better to do this away from your damp soil if that's possible. But look them over first, because if they're not becoming elongated, then they're probably OK anyway!

I don't think you've done anything wrong at all; that seeded one can still go in the soup, but get rid of the flower stem first, it's just not worth eating!

I think next year, I'll pay more attention to the preferences of the three leek planting seasons, and buy the seeds with more care - that could also be a contributory factor, but who really knows after this years's awful weather!

xx
Best fertiliser to use when planting leeks

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 13:14
by Goosegirl
xx
My choice of Fertiliser is 6X Natural Fertiliser . Would like Opinions please

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 18:57
by Totty
xx
Pig Poo as fertiliser

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 08:33
by mobilekat
xx
fertiliser

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 10:00
by andyf75

Page created in 0.885 seconds with 30 queries.