can i use frozen strawberries to make jam

• 7 Replies

shandford

can i use frozen strawberries to make jam
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:02 »
am i able to use frozen strawberries to make some more jam, if so can i use from frozen or do i have to let them defrost, i am also wondering what quantity would i use any help would be much appreciated

Kleftiwallah

Re: can i use frozen strawberries to make jam
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 12:20 »

I would use them, I don't expect they will retain their shape as I'm sure they will go 'soggy' on defrosting.  Just follow the recipe.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 14:15 »
I let them defrost first or it changes cooking times in the recipe, same with quantity. Frozen berries take up more volume than softened berries do.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 15:51 »
Yes you can make frozen strawberries into jam. I freeze strawberries into 1 lb quantities and freeze them when they are cheap.

Let them defrost in a sieve and catch the defrosting liquid. If you want them to retain their shape, layer them with the sugar over night.

Use the defrosting liquid to cook grated cooking apple to the ratio of 8oz to 2 lb strawberries and you shouldn't need to use pectin jam sugar or the packet pectin stuff. Cook the apple until they are soft and the liquid has evaporated.

The ratio of apples doesn't affect the taste, but if you prefer you can use the jam sugar with pectin. Personally I am not keen of the packet pectin stuff. :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 18:03 »

Use the defrosting liquid to cook grated cooking apple to the ratio of 8oz to 2 lb strawberries and you shouldn't need to use pectin jam sugar or the packet pectin stuff. Cook the apple until they are soft and the liquid has evaporated.

The ratio of apples doesn't affect the taste, but if you prefer you can use the jam sugar with pectin. Personally I am not keen of the packet pectin stuff. :)
Sorry to be thick but do you cook the apples separately from the strawbs? and then add them together?
Anne

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 18:14 »

Sorry to be thick but do you cook the apples separately from the strawbs? and then add them together?

You are not being thick, I didn't explain myself properly, sorry. :blush:

Yes, cook the apples separately and then add it to the strawberry and sugar mix. Simmer until the sugar dissolves and then continue as usual. Make sure you use bramley cooking apples. ;) :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 18:27 »
Thanks Mrs B, I'm not keen on the packet pectin either.  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 18:37 »
It is nice to know I am not alone in that. I have given it a go three times now and haven't been happy with the results. :(

i found the bramley apple more natural, gives an added texture, not highly processed and not so expensive.  ;)

xx
frozen strawberries

Started by totalnovice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 16:17
by Debz
xx
Frozen strawberries

Started by the Kergan on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 22:54
by the Kergan
xx
Frozen Sweetcorn .

Started by Motivator on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 18:39
by Motivator
xx
Jam from Frozen Fruit

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 10:06
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 36 queries.