Bit of a quandry

• 10 Replies

Jack88

Bit of a quandry
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:04 »
Hello new here and new to allotments
I've been offered a plot or half plot and am a bit concerned that that plot itself is without any kind of services, no water, no composting, no shed/storage.  I've grown veg at home but allotments is a new step for me, but I've always hankered after one.  Allotment is fairly close from home so not worried about initially taking tools etc, but the water issue does concern me.  Also no security, it is just a small set of plots ajoining fields with just a rough piece of ground as small boundary.  I'm guessing I could start with crops that don't need constant tending?  I'm thinking the first year or two will be a bit trial and error anyway.
Is total lack of services common? Is it practical especially for a beginner?
I'm intending to chat to other holders to see how they manage but weather hasn't been good to hard to catch anyone loitering at the plot.

I'm really keen to take it on and willing to give it a go, but comments welcome on this.

Cheers
Jack

Paul Plots

Re: Bit of a quandry
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:16 »
Hi Jack... sounds interesting.. your plot offer.

Few plots come with anything more than a water supply somewhere near by. Lugging water any distance would make life difficult so I would find a local plot holder and ask them how they cope.

Security: I guess that depends on where you are - again talk to other plot holders.

Personally, where I am, security is as high on the list of needs as water.

All allotment plots will need regular attention during the growing season at least. Weeding and watering done frequently gives the crops a good chance of survival and generally makes for happier plot owners. (No sudden shocks when you visit once in a blue-moon to find everything overgrown or dead under massive weeds!)

Good luck.... it can be a very worthwhile way to spend your spare time.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 13:01 »
Hi Jack.

I had to build my own compost heaps out of pallets, I am sure no one would mind if you did the same as they can be easily removed.

We dont have a water supply but I do have a shed on my plot which is very handy storage and collecting rain water. Having said that I dont really water my crops. Sounds a bit mad but I water the new plants when I first put them in but then I leave it all to mother nature. I always seem to run out of light and have to go home realizing that I never got round to watering. I have had very good crops so not too worried about it.

I would be tempted to speak to the offerer of the site and see what they do or give you a contact number of another plot holder who can hold your hand, so to speak.

Good Luck

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 16:21 »
Hi Jack,

I know there are other people on here who don't have water laid on at their allotments.  If you have suitable transport (and your tenancy allows) you can try to get hold of an old shed through freegle or free-ads.  People very often offer if someone is willing to deconstruct the shed themselves and remove it.

Alternatively, if you are handy, pallets are a wonderful thing which you can usually get free of charge from builders merchants, freegle or go for a drive around your local trading estate and ask.  You can build a shed, toolchest and/or compost heaps easily.  Look at the pallet thread on here (http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=63335.0)  Although we built compost heaps and "fencing" with pallets, we ended up buying a new shed for our plot as there didn't seem anything free or cheap on offer anywhere when we were looking.

Once you have a toolshed or toolchest in place, you can run a water butt off this to collect rainwater.  Water butts could be bought, old food barrels, bowsers or old water tanks.  Although we have water at our site, we tend to use our water butt water first if it is available (other than for seedlings in our greenhouse which we always use tap water to water).

Another idea of collecting water, if you have room and no children, is to dig a hole in the ground (big enough to dip your watering can into and drape a large tarpaulin or heavy plastic sheet over the hole, working the sheet into the hole as a catch-bucket.  It is crude, but it will work.  

Once plants are established, unless there is a complete drought, plants do better without being watered too much as it can produce soft sappy growth which can be irresistable to pests such as slugs.  You can also use mulches, bean trenches, lots of manure dug in and other strategies to retain water where possible.

I guess it depends on the rental charge of the plot - some sites have fabulous facilities, but charge a lot more than sites with little facilities laid on for plotholders.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 16:27 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 18:43 »
Mine has no water, but then is £10 a year per half plot. I worked out a deal with another allotment holder when I started where I used his water barrels and refilled them when I emptied them. This worked for both of us, I got the water I needed and so did he. (He provided 20L containers for me to ferry water back and forth in, 4 easily fit in a 206 or similar hatchback booth).

I have since bought 2 x IBC (£20 each through a contact), which between them will hold 2,000l water after winter, thats about 200 watering cans, not allowing for rain after winter. These are also available on Ebay or from local companies albeit normally around £50. Having said that, one would be enough for most.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 19:33 »
IBC's are the way forward!

I am hunting down someone on the Romney Marsh that apprently sells them for £10!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Jack88

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 20:03 »
Thanks all for the replies and encouragement. 

Lots of helpful tips, but importantly it has calmed my no water fears a bit.  Others at the allotment have various rigs sorted, usually small shed with gutters and butt.  I'm sure I'll be able to sort something out.  The tarpaulin stretched over a dug out round hole is a marvellous idea thanks for that.  Also the IBCs (had to look the term up), I'd seen a few of those about and would be ideal - only issue for me would be transportation. 

I'm fairly handy with a bit of DIY so the pallets for a compost bin is doable and sourcing the materials shouldn't be too difficult.  The shed may be something to consider in the springtime.

The plot is cheap as chips so can't really argue with lack of amenities.  Security is a question I have to think about, but it doesn't look to be a problem, but then who knows till you chat with others.

I'm yet to have a good old chat with other tenants so will do that before the final decision.  I've been doing a bit of research on what I might put in quickly in the next month to give a bit of interest while I'm cleaning up and digging over.  Perhaps some garlic? Onions?

Cheers
Jack

grinling

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 20:18 »
Talk to the local police as well as who manages the site. Don't leave valuables and don't lock a shed.

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 21:23 »
IBC's are the way forward!

I am hunting down someone on the Romney Marsh that apprently sells them for £10!

Merf, Let me know if you can find them and I will come along and get one too!  I haven't found a supplier despite my efforts and I would love one!  I will even bring along a flask of tea to celebrate!

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 21:34 »
Talk to the local police as well as who manages the site. Don't leave valuables and don't lock a shed.

I am with you on this one. Had my shed done recently and actually more damage was done breaking into the thing than is stolen!  All that was taken from my shed were a couple of mini gas cannisters from my camping stove, supaglue and WD40 (presumably to break into the next shed!).

I think it is easier leaving it unlocked.  The bright m****s think you are going to leave power tools on a site that has no leccie - go figure!

Witty Banter

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 20:37 »
Hello Jack

If the plot is a 'cheap as chips' then just dive in and give it a blast!?!

We've just got our first lotty, been on the list 3 years. We've no shed, but there is water on site now.
We are also in Lincs; Epworth.
Personally I'd jump at the chance to try it, if you're good at diy you'll be able to make compost bin, probably a shed.
We don't intend to leave any tools in the shed [when we get one].

Good luck

WB
Keep a 'thing' seven years and it's bound to come in handy!

xx
Another cuke quandry.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 21:43
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 37 queries.