Cross pollination in peppers?

• 4 Replies

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
Cross pollination in peppers?
« on: October 09, 2012, 15:17 »
Quick question:  If I grow several types of pepper or tomato in the same room/greenhouse, would the resultant seed from this years fruit grow into cross breeds when planted next year?  I would like to use the grown seed to sow the following year but don't fancy growing some weird or random plants.  Not while I'm still a noob anyway...
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cross pollination in peppers?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 15:19 »
It is possible for them to cross pollinate, but I would say that they don't usually  ;)

I have saved seed from tomatoes and peppers with no problems.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 15:23 »
sweet, I was worried I would have to resort to keeping the plants seperated from each other next year.  It wasn't an issue this year as I only grew one type of pepper and one tomato but my expectations are raising for next year.

Thanks mumofstig  :D

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 15:25 »
If you've got different open pollinated plants in the same area, then yes, they will cross pollinate either through wind or insects. Sometimes it's hard to notice subtle changes but the changes will be there and will become more apparent over time according to a seed grower I know.

If you want to keep the varieties 'clean', then  soon as each variety flowers (and you must be waiting for this), pollinate it yourself using a small soft artist's brush, then slip a small poly bag (lunch bags are ideal) over it, and tie loosely at the bottom to prevent bees/wind pollinating it further yet allowing air in. Once the fruit begins to develop, you can pull off the bag and tie a bit of coloured string on that  stem to mark where you've got seed fruit/veg.

Best to repeat with several fruit per variety in case some don't take or rot off.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 15:39 »
Ah that's a good idea!  I didn't consider that I would only need one clean pepper to get enough seed for the following year.  My girlfriend and I have different tastes in peppers so I'm sure she would notice if her sweet bell pepper had any qualities from my hot chillies lol.  I'll keep it in mind next year and hand pollinate then bag up a few to be used for seed.  Cheers Trillium.

xx
Cross pollination

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 12:49
by Stevens706
xx
Cross Pollination

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 10:16
by pdblake
xx
Pepper cross pollination.

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 30, 2008, 10:58
by Sadgit
xx
sweetcorn cross pollination

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 18:55
by sweet nasturtium

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 40 queries.