are you a proper vegetable grower?

• 37 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Re: are you a proper vegetable grower?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 23:12 »
I make a really nice hedgerow jam juice from hips, haws, elderberries and slows added to blackberries apples and plums or damsons nice and tart. we also have lots of comfrey grwing on the verges if I get time to pick it.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

compostqueen

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 23:15 »
I've just planted sloes in my garden at home. I also put in some guelder rose as apparently they have edible hips.  I have hawthorns but I've not used them in cooking yet.  I've a long hedgerow which I'm restoring as it's in a right old state  :)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 23:21 »
I've planted a mixed native hedge on the south and west of the lotty toform a wind break lots of hazel with a few pears, cherries plums, crab and native roses each side of the gate to grow over and arch this winters project. Its only a year old so will be better next year also hoping birds will nest eventually and I might get some nuts and it might help with fruit tree pollenation

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 23:24 »
Mine's a native hedge which was put in when the house was built 80 odd years ago.  It's been swamped with self-set sycamores and honeysuckle and there's loads of dead stuff so we're gradually sorting it out and planting fresh stuff in the gaps.  I've put a couple of limes in for the bees  :)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 23:27 »
Mine's a native hedge which was put in when the house was built 80 odd years ago.  It's been swamped with self-set sycamores and honeysuckle and there's loads of dead stuff so we're gradually sorting it out and planting fresh stuff in the gaps.  I've put a couple of limes in for the bees  :)
sounds lovely might try and grow some ivy and honeysuckle through mine

Christine

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 10:27 »
Nope I am not a proper vegetable grower this year. Haven't kept myself and family in vegetables one way or another. Usually manage to do better than this but the season has fought against me. Even the farmers have been pushed this year.

I would like to be self sufficient but can't see it happening. But you never know. I'm in the planning stages for next year. Most herbs that I use should be OK now. Raspberries and strawberries should be OK. Apples, pears and plums are weather dependent but the trees are there. What else the weather lets me grow next year is another matter.

rowlandwells

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 13:45 »

i think we all hope next season will be better than this one ha been its true its been a trying time for farmers and growers alike i went to buy a bag of potatoes because i had a crop failure and they had doubled in price from last year :ohmy:

at present  i am studying the seed catalogues this particular catalogue has a cropping summary that is well worth reading  i have just potted on some winter cauliflowers [Boris] that should have a 95-105days maturity if sown under glass or in my case the poly tunnel so may be a more in depth look at the vegetable growing tables for more forward thinking that mite give us the advantage of fresh veg when veg is more expensive to buy :)

i don't think Ive seen any mention of sprouting broccoli that is usually set the first season and then harvested in the next year or spring a good old fashioned crop i prefer the white varieties myself Ive really enjoyed reading you replies growster :D

there is such a variety of answers to this topic that makes good reading and common sense unfortunately we have to contend as said with the short days yet to come which does put the damper on things but as you do we are talking about what we intend to do next season we-are  not giving up what ever the season throws at us "are we" >:(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 14:26 »
The trouble with sprouting broccoli, is the size it grows to and the amount of time it stays there! That's ok if you have lots of room, but many of us have small plots, or have included wide grass paths in their planning.
(The paths make for easier management of the space, but I'm not convinced that they give you more crop for the area. That's a different argument though, so perhaps not for this thread  ::)  :lol:  )

All we can aim for is the best return from the space we have, which I'm sure is what all of us aim for - although it's not easy to achieve  :(

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 15:25 »
My answer to the question would be:

'I give it a good go!'  :) Mind you, I've only been a serious grower for about 30 years so I still have a lot to learn  :D

Consistancy is the problem - if everything that I started to grow came to fruition I'd need a dozen chest freezers to store it all in but that, of course, never happens. Usually we have gluts of one veg or another for storing and the rest is a mix of 'enough for a couple of months' or 'enough for a few meals'.

I'm very glad that I am not relying on my harvest this year tho, it's been a bit poor all round (except for strawberries and carrots - they have both been amazing!)

On the subject of hedges, my entire plot is enclosed by a 6-8ft high mixed native hedge (mostly hawthorn) that I planted about 7 years ago. Makes a great place for wildlife - I even see bats coming in and out of it at dusk  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

compostqueen

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 15:48 »
I've just planted cabbages and caulis out on the plot, grown from seed at home.  Spinach and pak choi, misticanza sown a few weeks ago are all coming along well.  I was planting leeks on Sunday too, and already have loads of garlic and onions in, with more still to plant.  So, plenty to look forward to

Rootling about in the squash foliage I noticed the promising swollen roots of swede, so looking forward to those too.   :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 19:05 »
My plot is productive all year round -even this year -and we rarely buy any veg (but do buy some top fruit as we eat more than we produce at the moment) .....

... does that make me a proper veg grower?

Who knows
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Madame Cholet

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 19:16 »
My plot is productive all year round -even this year -and we rarely buy any veg (but do buy some top fruit as we eat more than we produce at the moment) .....

... does that make me a proper veg grower?

Who knows

A1 id say i'll watch you like a hawk. I'v not bought any since June not bad for a 1st season.

Lets see what happends to the psb, wsb, brussel sprouts and caulis theay all look good at the moment.  wizzard beans, perp spinach. got a good load of leeks parsnips carrots and articokes too fingers crossed

rowlandwells

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 16:06 »
 in my book madame cholet and sunshineband you have the title of proper growers awarded to you both

am i envious" :dry: yes self sufficient or what  :D

how many hours a week on the Lottie do you spend to  achieve that?

Madame Cholet

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 20:42 »
2 days a week from nov to march to weed and prepare it for the first season putting up fences planting fruit trees ect. Since June one to 2 days a week weeding ect. I'va also painted shed and seat, starting to cover grass paths with cardboard and woodchips to save time cutting grass.

I tend to save time by planting in beds with with plants close to block out the weeds which works once they get to a certain size.  It also means I can hand weed from the paths even when the soil is too wet to hoe ect.

I just enjoy it so much and the time passes really quickly I don't see it as hard work. it has helped being self-employed, I don't have loads of work at present, I've done some of my work at night and can chose my days when the weather is dry a god send for this year.

compostqueen

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 22:48 »
I've had loads of veg off the plot this week, and from the garden at home too. It's great to be able to get most of the stuff for dinner by strolling down the garden for it. Roast veg tonight and last night I had grown most of the ingredients for my oriental salmon dish

I had some Crown Prince squash in my tray of roast veg and it was absolutely delicious  :)

xx
1st proper day on the plot

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 16:03
by crackedflowerpots
xx
First proper harvest

Started by cudders on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 07, 2008, 21:37
by Charlotte
xx
Proper Breakfast

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 19:58
by SnooziSuzi
clip
First “proper” harvest

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 07, 2019, 11:30
by ches

Page created in 0.789 seconds with 38 queries.