Manure

• 11 Replies

sumitra

Manure
« on: October 08, 2012, 18:10 »
Hi, I have just gained access to a supply of fresh horse manure.  By fresh I mean I collect what has been created by the horse each week. there is no straw or anything else in it, it's just been collected from the field over the week, just manure, steam and a few beetles.   

Now the question is can I spread this over the top of a bed to overwinter, in a bed that I intend to grow relivant veg in next year or do I have to wait for the rotting period, and if so how long is the wrotting period normally.

compostqueen

Re: Manure
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 18:15 »
Yes you can put it on to your beds for overwintering. The winter weather and worms will incorporate it somewhat, the blackbirds will throw it all over the shop but it will mature enough for planting in next year. Don't put it where you plan to grow carrots or parsnips though. 

sumitra

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43 »
Thank you Compostqueen for your quick reply,  I will give that a try on a couple of beds, potatos, firstly and something else after I have had a read on what will do best from manured soil beds, Oh I may also try it on one of my French Climbing Bean beds I have three of those beds, since I stopped growing Runner Beans.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 14:55 »
I spread fresh chicken poo over my beds every fall and let it do it's thing over winter and it's always ready by spring. No problems at all unless you hope to plant winter crops among it which is a bad idea. If you have garlic planted already, then just manure around the garlic allowing at least 8" all around as a safety measure. Fresh manure can easily burn roots and kill the plants, even garlic.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 17:05 »
Have you double checked with the supplier of the manure that the grass in the manure (i.e. eaten by the animal) hadn't been treated with any herbicide which ends in the name " ... pyralid"?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Chas62

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 19:32 »
Great that you can get hold of this manure for free.  Wonderful for the plot.  I would be concerned about two things though.

Firstly, raw manure can burn crops.  It is normally advised to let it rot down for at least a year.
Secondly, there is a concern of ecoli by placing fresh manure next to plants (another reason to let it rot down.

What do others think?

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 23:20 »
Sumitra will be spreading fresh manure on bare soil with no crops, so there's nothing to burn.

As for e coli, according to Wiki, the most common forms have a very limited life outside their host. From other info I've gathered, e coli tends to form primarily in corn fed cattle since cattle naturally are grass feeders so horse manure is considerably less of an issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escherichia_coli

sumitra

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 09:06 »
Hi.  Thank you Trillium, Yorkie and Chas2, for your replies they are very helpful even with the E coli possability.  I will look deeper into this one, and as for the herbicide treament I will ask the owners of the land when I pick up my load today.  Thank you again. 

Oh! there is also a regular supply of pigeon dropping left on the allotment for anyone to use, dose this have any great value, I have in the past put it into my compost, but it came out 12 months later in the same lumpy state that it went in.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:26 »
We are putting the muck onto our soil to overwinter.  By spring it will have lost its burning properties

We are not eating the manure so I don't think ecoli is an issue.  If you worry about aminopyralid then don't buy manure.  I am personally willing to risk it

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 14:03 »

Ive used mostly horse manure over the past several years mainly what we call apples that is  straight from the field as fresh as it comes :D all year round

but i have noted your comments about fresh manure burning the plants and Ive taken the advise ime now going to stack all my manure for at least 12 months also my supplier has been using sawdust i have been told this will  take a little more time to rot down  :dry:

there is one question that has mixed opinions should one spread it on the ground for the worms to pull into the soil or should one in my case plough it in the ground to overwinter :unsure:

i think we all have our preferences on what to use weather it be horse-cattle- hen or pigeon
it all manure at the end of the isn't it  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 14:41 »
We keep racing pigeons and naturally have a small mountain of poop several times a year. I save it for fall when I spread it on my cleared veg beds, or mostly in my blueberry beds. The latter seem to like the pigeon poop in particular. Come spring there might be a few lumps and some feathers left but I just leave them to continue breaking down. No point in making more work.

As for spreading fresh manure, it works either way to just spread and leave it or work it in. Leaving it is far less work and has the same result by spring. I also find it a deterrent to those thinking to walk across my veg plot  ;)

Use whatever is not treated and you can get. And yes, it really is just poop in the end  :D

sumitra

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 17:25 »
Hi Everyone and thank you all for your kind input.  I have been reading up on some of the ideas and possible problems, and It's now become as clear as the mud beneath my raised beds. 

I have three beds of French Climbing Beans and after I convers a third bed to give me three beds of Broard Beans. 

So I have decide to put Fresh Horse Manure and leave it uncoverd over winter on one of each of the beds,

I will feed the second pair of beds with Bone Meal which will give me 12.5% of Nitrogen feed, 

The third pair of beds I will leave as the were from last year where I leave this years roots in the ground as I usually do.

Now next year I will let you all know how the beans got on, ;)  thats providing I don't die of Ecolie poisoning  :( Again thank you all.   :)   Oops no spell checker   :ohmy:

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace

Page created in 0.664 seconds with 37 queries.