Where do people buy their chickens from? u/d post 12

• 23 Replies

Willow_Warren

Where do people buy their chickens from? u/d post 12
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:52 »
Hello,

I fancied adding to my flock of 5 hybrid chickens, perhaps with some smaller "prettier" bantams (I have spare accommodation).  I went to The Barns in Moggerhanger as it's quite local and I have seen it well recommended... But and it seems a shame to say this but I wasn't totally comfortable there. On arrival I had a short chat with the man there and he didn't come across that welcoming which is contradiction to what I had heard he was like... Anyhow he we had only just arrived and he was making up a box for another customer so will give him the benefit of the doubt...

We then had a look around the different pens and as others have said it all looks very smart and clean erc... We then made our way back to the shop area to look for the man to ask what was for sale etc... He wasn't about but on the way we say some bunnies.... Now all the chickens has nice enclosures, new coops and decent size, but the bunnies... Oh my... They were in hutches just 3 to 4 ft, 18 inches high and 18 inches deep at best and they were not small.... 3 were dutch bunnies 1 another quite large breed but now sure what. I have a dutch bunnue so I know how active they are but couldn't possible be I those cages...  :( in addition the water bottles looked a little green and they had no hay (a bunnies diet should consist of 90% hay and it should be available all the time), I wanted to say something but I couldn't, not my place...

We they went to speak to the lady with whome we discussed what we wanted and she showed is the ones that were for sale... They were lovely and very pretty colours... Although I was surprised at the price of £40 for the pekins and £45 for the Wyandotte bantams, looking around the Internet later in the evening it doesn't look like an exceptional price for the breeds at pol but unfortunately my desire of having 3 of them will just have to remain a dream...I guess I'm only used to buying hybrids...

Anyhow I was looking forward to going back today to pick up my new hens... But I don't think I will be now... Putting the price aside I don't think I can come to terms with how they kept the bunnies there...

It is so hard buying animals, finding the right place to get them from etc...

Hannah
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 14:42 by Willow_Warren »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Where do people buy their chickens from?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:19 »
Could the rabbits have been in breeding cages?

The price of the Wyandotte bantams does seem steep.  I bought 2 for £15 earlier this year, they were around 10 months old and in lay.  I recently bought a 22 weeks old Welsummer bantam for £15.  The breeder had some lovely birds (silver laced, blue laced and other wyandottes) and I had to be really good to come away with just one bird.   :unsure:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:14 »
Depending on how far you are willing to travel I can recommend this place just north of Towcester off the A5. The guys that live here keep a whole range of hens more as a hobby and to show. We bought our original bantams from them and were very pleased with them.

Email: info@peartreefarmpoultry.co.uk

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22 »
It does seem that the further north you go the better prices go as well!! ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02 »
Thanks for everyone's comments - I loved the birds at the barn and everything for the chickens was clean and tidy.

As for them being breeders hutches I don't see why they would be any smaller than for a non breeding rabbit other than for commercial rather than welfare reasons...

Have been looking around at other places/options, just got to pluck up the courage to call etc I'm not great on the phone with strangers so will have to pluck up some courage!

H :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:28 »
Thanks for everyone's comments - I loved the birds at the barn and everything for the chickens was clean and tidy.

As for them being breeders hutches I don't see why they would be any smaller than for a non breeding rabbit other than for commercial rather than welfare reasons...

Have been looking around at other places/options, just got to pluck up the courage to call etc I'm not great on the phone with strangers so will have to pluck up some courage!

H :)

I believe that breeding cages are smaller for breeding reasons, I might be wrong.  They are only for a short period of time and not long term housing.  I think joyfull has experience of breeding rabbits so she may be able to comment more accurately.   :)

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 13:13 »
We regularly use the Barns at Moggerhanger and cant fault the service and advice they give including after care help and 1 year warranty on any bird purchased. Cant say i have noticed them being any more expensive than any where else localy in fact if anything i always thought they seemed cheaper and always seem to be doing special offers and deals.

The old guy you mention i assume was frank quite a legend in chicken circles around this way. We have known him for years now and has always been the perfect gentleman and always willing to help out with queries including making a visit to check a very poorly chicken we had. Like you say perhaps he was just busy dealing with someone else at the time

I too must admit that i was surprised at the rabbit hutches the first time i saw them as everything else there is immaculate including pig pens after i spoke to a friend I also came to the conclusion that they were breeding hutches or something though i cant confirm any of this to be honest

One other local place you could perhaps try is Thorns Poultry Center just outside Stotfold, we used to go there before using the Barns and it was there that we originaly met Frank as he worked there a few years back. They also are very friendly and knowledgable and full of help. Recently they have tried to branch out into other areas, coffee shop, plant nursery etc, etc and the poultry side of thing just doesnt seem to be their main focus of attention anymore they certainly dont seem to have the wide range of birds that they used to have and when it comes to poultry i feel the barns is a better option than them at this moment in time. May still be worth giving them a look though.

See link for details
http://www.gardencenterfinder.co.uk/city-Letchworth-Garden-City/1839428-garden-Thornes-Garden-Nursery-&-Poultry-Centre.html

Willow_Warren

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 15:02 »
I have only heard good things about The Barns which is why I feel quite unconfortable not feeling the same (the chickens looked lovely with all their new pens and coops etc).  At £45 each though I will have to wear holey wellies for another year   :lol:  ! 

I got my last two hybrids from Thornes last year, I do not think they do pure breeds, they did not at the time (but did have hatiching eggs).

Hannah :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 18:06 »
rabbit breeding hutches are no different to any other hutch - we always used to put the buck into the does hutch for mating.
Staffies are softer than you think.

wildwitchy

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:44 »
That is far too expensive for a pekin bantam. The most to be paid should be around £20 for a grower. Any more and they're taking the mick.

My poland bantams were between £10 - £15 each.

Look on a well known site that has love in title for hobby chicken breeders. You are likely to find somebody that breeds them for the love of it. Thats how I got mne and they are beautiful.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 08:18 »
That is far too expensive for a pekin bantam. The most to be paid should be around £20 for a grower. Any more and they're taking the mick.

My poland bantams were between £10 - £15 each.

Look on a well known site that has love in title for hobby chicken breeders. You are likely to find somebody that breeds them for the love of it. Thats how I got mne and they are beautiful.

I have a had a look on said website and hopfully going to look at some pekin bantams at the weekend, unfortunatly could only fine one person who had bantam dottes (locally) but they haven't got back to me so might be a no go with that one...

wildwitchy

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 20:08 »
have you had a look on here. Theres a classified and breeder section. I've found some birds of mine previously though here.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 14:42 »
Well I visited a local breeder yesterday.

She seemed a nice lady as we spend half an hour there as she showed us around her extended garden and all the brids she had (nearly all bantams and just a coule of large 'ums).  It wasn't the posh smart establishment of the Barns but all the birds looked well, clean, had space to explore and seemed friendly looking for our affection!

We reserved 3 little pekins, 2 millefleurs and a white one, they were sooo cute especially the little millefleurs as they were quite young (I forget exactly how old she said they were) but about 6-7 weeks!  They were extremly pleased to see us though as she picked one up and it hopped up her arm and settled there!  I was almost tempted by a cockarel - they look so hansome!!!

She is going to keep them for another 2-3 weeks as they feather up some more then I can pick them up!  I'm really looking forward to that  :D  Gutted I forgot to take and pictures of them...

wildwitchy

Re: Where do people buy their chickens from? u/d post 12
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 19:09 »
Oh i'm so glad for you hannah! The lady I bought my pekins from breeds all colours & they were in lovely condition. I'd much rather go to someone like that. She charged me between £10 - £15 per bird which I thought was reasonable. I bought my other two gold partridge pekins (hen & cock) from another lady & I got my boy for free. Paddy is just beautiful & looks after his wife - Eileen wonderfully.

bainsk8

Re: Where do people buy their chickens from? u/d post 12
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 22:31 »
I bought our Warren from Longdown Activity Farm for £7.00 a couple of years ago. The chickens there are well cared for and the staff were very helpful.

I have just checked their website and the prices are now £10 each.

The two Black Rocks I bought from a farm for £15 each, unfortunately they no longer breed Chickens for sale.
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

xx
Sad People

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 22:51
by muntjac
xx
Any people out there that can help me with this

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

49 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 09:05
by RGManby
xx
evil people

Started by pawsnclaws on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 10:26
by Sassy
xx
Horrid People!!!

Started by slowef on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 14:04
by WG.

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.