recommend some fruit tree varieties

• 7 Replies

Juli

recommend some fruit tree varieties
« on: October 07, 2012, 07:37 »
Hi everyone,

We have a new big empty garden (Yay! :) ) and want to plant quite a few fruit trees. As the season of planting fruit trees is nearly upon us, we need to decide what exactly to get. We would like to plant all the usual suspects (apple, pear, cherry, plum etc.), and I was wondering whether anyone could recommend varieties that are particularly nice and will do well here in Oxfordshire.

Do apricots and peaches grow in this climate? (We had a wonderful peach tree in Australia, which produced the most delicious and juicy huge peaches, but it was obviously a lot hotter there.)

Also, if anyone could recommend a seedless grape that will do well, that would be good too.

Thanks in advance,
Juli

SG6

Re: recommend some fruit tree varieties
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 13:20 »
Wouldn't like to suggest apples as I have a few but I picked them from "The Apple Book" and from walking round Brogdale and eating a few there. Varieties Like Holstein, Orange de'Sonneville, Karmijn de'Sonneville, Nutmeg Pippin. Very nice apples but not the normal varieties, I had mine grafted by Brogdale.

Plums, Kirks Blue, very nice. Oulins golden gage is another I have and good.

Cherry's, I have Sunburst, very nice but cherries are also liked by birds and you will not get many.

Peaches/Apricots/Nectarines: Really need a sheltered south facing wall to grow them against, we just do not get quite enough sun and heat for them. Some years we might and they will be good, other years they just do not ripen. Rochester seems to be the standard peach for the UK. However check round as there may be newer varieties.

There is an apricot called Tomcot that is reputed to be good for the north, so it sould do well in Oxen. Whatever variety get an Early types as that allows them more of our English summer to ripen fully.

Never grown pears except for asian pear's - Kumoi, cannot suggest anything from experience. Pears are reported as taking some time to fruit.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 20:46 »
you need to have apples which flower at the same time for pollenation unless your neighbours have some or a crab apple. There are different groups a b and c you need ones from the same group. Other fruit tends to be self polleneting so easier to choose.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 21:11 »
Try a Spartan apple tree, you will not regret it.

SG6

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:45 »
Get a good book, as I said I came across The Apple Book one day and picked mine from that. an internet alternative is: http://www.orangepippin.com

Use flowering times as a guide only, 2 different sources will give different flowering times, usually just one step difference but I have found a few that quote 2 periods different. Also the trees do what they want anyway. I have a tree that is the second period (1,2,3,4,5) and it has flowered when Court Pendu Plat has which is notoriously late for flowering.

Best assume that apple trees don't read books, they also don't grow as they should.

If you can make it to Brogdale for their apple day (weekend) in October do so, you can buy an assortment of apple types and munch your way through them. Gives a good idea of what they are like.

Juli

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 14:03 »
Thanks everyone - lots of good advice  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 17:13 »
Also check out what size rootstocks you want (i.e. what maximum size do you want the trees to reach) before ordering or buying.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Juli

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 13:57 »
Thanks everyone again for the good advice. Thank you especially SG6 for posting the link to the orange pippin website. It's a great website full of information and they have been extremely helpful and patiently answering all my questions. I've now put in an order with them for 2 apples (James Grieve and Fiesta), 2 cherries (Stella and Penny), 2 hazels (Gunslebert and Lange Tidling Zeller), a damson (Shropshire Prune), a plum (Haganta), a green gage (Cambridge Gage), a pear (Beurre Bosc) and an asian pear (Shinseiki). 

I can't wait to get them  :D

xx
I can recommend these potato varieties!

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:30
by DD.
xx
Asparagus varieties - which would you recommend

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 14:02
by Jilly Pickles
xx
Can anyone recommend varieties of sprouts that don't fall over easily?

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 22:03
by JohnB47
xx
Can anyone recommend a plum tree?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 22:16
by Babstreefern

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 37 queries.