Possible frost tonight - squash storage question

• 2 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Possible frost tonight - squash storage question
« on: October 06, 2012, 17:42 »
They're forecasting 5 degrees for my area tonight, which is getting pretty close to frost, so I bottled and cut my Uchiki Kuris off the plants, as well as picking most of the French and runner beans, both of which are still going strong, and the outdoor courgettes.

The guide I normally refer to for winter squash says leave them on the plant to mature through October until the plants die back, but then says fruit should be stored in a frost-free place, which seems a bit of a contradiction in terms because October often has some frosty nights. Hopefully mine should be ripe enough, all but one have already gone a good dark orange. I'm planning to leave them on a sunny windowsill for a couple of weeks, just in case they need to dry a bit more, but after that would the best place to store be something like a cool spare bedroom? Does the light level matter for storage or are they better somewhere darker?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 18:03 by arugula »

Kleftiwallah

Re: Possible frost tonight - squash storage question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 18:58 »
Lucky I read your note shokkyy, I'm to the West of you (near Lacock) and I collected all my squashes and pumpkins.  I was getting increasingly concerned that they would 'walk'.

I've left the vines aranged over the ground to rot down and protect the soil until spring.

I should keep them out in the sun for as long as it's shining and then somewhere light and airy but frost free.

Thanks for the timely frost reminder.  Cheers,    ;)     Tony.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 19:06 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Possible frost tonight - squash storage question
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 23:17 »
Not so far then, because I'm actually just outside Wootton Bassett, so southwest of Swindon. Hopefully it's just this one night, the rest of the week the overnight temps are forecast much better. And even now they've adjusted tonight's temp to 6 degrees rather than 5, so hopefully it'll be okay. But you just hate to risk a crop that's taken all summer to grow, don't you. Not that I did get much of a squash crop this year. The only ones that have given me decent fruit at all are the Uchiki Kuris, just two midget squash from Harlequin and nothing at all from Crown Prince (second year running). You've done well to get such a good crop out of this dreadful summer.

What varieties have you got in that piccie? I can see pumpkins and butternut, but what are the round beige ones?

xx
A squash storage problem

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post December 19, 2011, 22:08
by sarajane
xx
tonight

Started by gobs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 21:49
by Ice
xx
Help! I want to sleep tonight!

Started by allotmentann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

25 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 22:01
by Madame Cholet
xx
For dinner tonight

Started by wighty on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 08:17
by flitwickone

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 28 queries.