my speckly hen

• 4 Replies

jill247

my speckly hen
« on: October 05, 2012, 01:04 »
I noticed my hen had lost quite a few feathers round her frilly bum and the feathers at the back that point up have gone . I picked her up today and touched her backend which seemed to be a bit swollen and she turned and pulled some feathers out as though it was itching.  She has also lost weight although she is eating. You can see she isnt herself and isnt as active as she wants to be. I'm getting a little worried about her now she is looking a little grey and old round her face wondered if she is older than my other 5 who are and seem very healthy.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: my speckly hen
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:42 »
Could she have mite or lice.  Sometimes there are white clumps of eggs on the feathers round the bum.  Northern Fowl mite is the nastiest.  Do some googling there is lots of info on the net.

If you are not sure, maybe a trip to a chicken friendly vet may be in order.  Otherwise you could try some Johnsons Cage Bird Mite Spray, which seems faily gentle, but kill most creepy crawlies.
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

jill247

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:22 »
Thankyou I think you maybe right looked at her this morning she is raw all down her backend and there is white clumps. Where do we get these mites from nasty things. Thankyou for your help I can treat her now.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:32 »
Usually wild birds in your garden or when you get new stock they can already have them.  Glad you have found the problem and can now get it sorted.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 14:43 »
Make sure you cut off the clumps of lice eggs and burn them, and be prepared to re-treat after a few days to break the cycle of re-infestation.   ;)

xx
speckly got breating problem

Started by scabbler on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 15, 2007, 23:27
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.685 seconds with 30 queries.