proving bread and the like

• 37 Replies

chrissie B

Re: proving bread and the like
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 15:11 »
the loafs out and cooled i was going to wait till hubby was in from work  but impatience got the better of me , im sat here wth a wedge and butter and a banana its very nice lots of fruit but not heavy and its got the all imporatnt bounce back , watching the great bake off paul hollywood pinches a bit and says its raw but sometimes when you buy these products they have the same reaction ?anyway mines got a spring and its good enough for me ha ha
happy baking ,
p.s. had a quick peek at lakeland that have some nice Christmas things on the go
chrissie b xxx

That norty word again   ;)

sorry
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 15:16 by chrissie B »
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Mrs Bee

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 15:34 »
A lot of the bought bread is made by the CHorley Wood process and it is all soft and damp and sticks together when pinched. :(

chrissie B

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 21:08 »
never heard of that  im off to make a strong cuppa and cut myself a slice of me bread , now that i realise that i dont have to run to a time frame i will be at it a bit more often .
chrissie b

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 21:29 »
This is John's article on the Chorleywood Process Chrissie.  Enough to put you off shop bread for life!  :ohmy:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipes/bread-making/chorleywood-process

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:23 »
It's very sad that the Chorleywood process has literally changed people's perception (especially those who've never made or tasted home-made bread) of what it should look/taste/feel like ... their 'ideal' loaf is therefore 800g of air, fat and water, all in regulated slices!!   :mad:

This is why breadmakers/bakers such as Richard Bertinet and Dan Lepard preach the 'slower the better' approach - you don't spend any more time actually making the dough and kneading it, you just leave it for prove for longer before it gets to the oven.  And best of all, you're in control of what goes into the loaf, which doesn't include E numbers or hydrogenated/fractionated fat!!!   ;) 

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:43 »
I'm not sure why putting bread in the fridge is deemed to be faffing. If you leave it overnight while you're asleep or at work it's not as if you're wasting time.  The bread will develop more flavour too

Trillium

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 13:44 »
It was a response to DD's earlier comment  :D

While overnight rising does create a nicer loaf, for me I just don't have the fridge space nor do I have the time next day to continue the baking process. I work on a very tight schedule that needs things finished the day I work on them because there's no going back to finish up. I suspect others are in the same boat.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 14:24 »
It's very sad that the Chorleywood process has literally changed people's perception (especially those who've never made or tasted home-made bread) of what it should look/taste/feel like ... their 'ideal' loaf is therefore 800g of air, fat and water, all in regulated slices!!   :mad:

This is why breadmakers/bakers such as Richard Bertinet and Dan Lepard preach the 'slower the better' approach - you don't spend any more time actually making the dough and kneading it, you just leave it for prove for longer before it gets to the oven.  And best of all, you're in control of what goes into the loaf, which doesn't include E numbers or hydrogenated/fractionated fat!!!   ;)

I agree absolutely.  I bought the Sunday Times book of real bread in 1982 and have rarely eaten bought bread since. I learnt about the Chorleywood procees from that book.

Craig Sams was passionate about good bread and sour dough in particular and the best bread for an excellent shape and gorgeous chewy bread is a sour dough loaf.

Sour dough bread, real butter and a good mature cheese and life doesn't get any better unless you have abottle of real beer or cider to go with it :D.

Edit to fix quoted text.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 15:13 by arugula »

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 17:04 »
I love proper, good tasting bread. No excuse for cruddy, tasteless fluff. What about the white stuff that's so claggy it sticks to the roof of your mouth  :ohmy: 

I think if folks were eating proper bread they wouldn't be complaining that bread blows them up

I like slow bread, time for the dough to relax and the loaf to develop flavour.  I shall go and eat some as I've just noticed I've had no lunch  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 18:34 »
I've been spoilt by good bread as my FIL was a master baker who won prizes for his bread.  We are very lucky to have a very good bakers in our village but it's still not as good as my FIL's.  I often bake my own too.

compostqueen

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 23:01 »
Master Baker ey, what an accolade. There must be so much pride in having such skill to be bestowed with such a title. 

I kicked my breadmaker into touch as I thought it was pants. You can do so much more with your own fair hands  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 23:09 »
I kicked my breadmaker into touch as I thought it was pants. You can do so much more with your own fair hands  :)

If you get arthritis in your hands, you may regret throwing it  :(

They're great for the kneading part of the process - if not the rest of it  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 01:49 »
Odd you mention that Aunty as my FIL was also a master baker and head of a major bakery. Everywhere we went he'd buy a sample of something, then sit and crumble it for texture, taste it, roll it in his mouth, crumble it again, etc, etc. We got a lot of odd looks sitting with him as he tested out items   :D I inherited one of his 'recipe books'. Can't say I have much use for a 500 wt of flour, X boxes of lard, etc   :D

grendel

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 09:14 »
my Grandfather (who died of TB shortly after I was born) was a baker, my mum has always baked her own bread, and now I am following that family tradition, though I do use a breadmaker some of the time.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 10:54 »

I was in the baking trade for 33 years and a Master Baker too.

At one time I owned a bakery and two shops and employed over twenty people.

Unfortunately over time as with butchers and greengrocers the number of small family

bakers  has declined.We used to produce all kinds of fancy breads and confectionery and

at one  point struggled to keep up with demand.Then along came supermarkets (below

cost selling)and extortionate rent and rate rises which has been the Deathknell for the high

street.

Alas years of heavy lifting,( bags of flour used to weigh 32 kg and you would have two on

your shoulder)bending ,starting work at midnight,12 hours a day,7 days a week increasing

bureaucracy etc took there toll.

I developed severe arthritis in my neck and shoulders,was unable to move my arms

properly and had 3 operations over 2 years to relieve the problems.Consequently I was

unable to carry on my business and had to give it up.Having been forced  to give up

something which not only was a job of work but also a passion of life developed over many 

years was difficult to come to terms with

Growing my own veg etc has been a fantastic way of focusing my energy into something

else,admittedly I am newish to this and am learning all the time but hopefully will become 

a good a gardener as I was a baker ,even though I am sometimes unable to do certain things.

Also all the tips ,information,and years of experience  offered here, from fellow

allotmenteers and the Mods have  been invaluable in being able to fastrack my gardening

ability .Keep up the good work.

Thanks Carl

xx
Bread proving baskets

Started by makedoandmend on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 16:53
by cheshirecheese
xx
Bought bread tears, my bread crumbles, why?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 19:53
by Scribbler
xx
Bread , oil

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 10:47
by chrissie B
xx
Making bread

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 15:20
by Trillium

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 37 queries.