Flooding!!

• 11 Replies

Sassy

Flooding!!
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:36 »
We were one of the many victims of unprecedented flooding last Thursday and unfortunately we lost most of our hens and quail and 2 ducks, with 5 other ducks being released to take their chances. We did manage to rescue 2 hens, one of which was very near death but is now running round. Additionally, we had the trauma of do we wait for the flood water to peak on Beck Closes Road, or risk moving a Shetland pony through up to 5 feet of water over a 200 hundred metre length or, pull a 20 foot hedge out right next to where the horses were standing on a few square feet of 'dry' ground and risk them spooking and injuring themselves/forcing the pony into deep water. The decision was made with the water still rising when 2 of our friends and a father and son, who were helping in the village offered to help bring them out. We did point out they were going to get very wet but they were undeterred even when they realised we had not been exaggerating about the depth of water. When we got to the horses there was no dry land left! Both horse and pony behaved impeccably and once the pony was out of his depth David and his son held his head up and towed him the whole way. It could all have been so very different.

We have been back into the barn since to provide food and water for 2 cats stranded on the hay. As they are semi-feral We think they are better there and would not take kindly to being lifted across the expanse of water.

Of the 2 chickens we rescued we found one in a tree and one with barely its head above water and very near death. We took them home dried them both with a hairdryer and left them in front of the rayburn. The very ill chicken was totally limp for several hours with just the odd twitch to show she was still with us. We did consider culling her but decided to give her a chance. She is now running round at a friends with her companion and their poultry.

At the moment our land and barn are still under water but it is receding slowly. It has been a very traumatic time and we feel dreadful about the suffering that was caused to our birds. I find it difficult to go in our fridge as there are still eggs from our hens, quail and ducks in there. We will eat them though out of respect to their faithful and hard work. We will consider re-stocking in the spring. :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Flooding!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42 »
how awful for you, luckily you managed to rescue your horse and pony and a couple of your birds. I don't think you could have done anything else to help them as the floods came so quickly  :(.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:02 »
hey, sorry to hear about your losses, how high did the water get?
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

sarajane

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:34 »
Oh Sassy how terrible and I moaned that my potatoes were under just 6 inches of water.

Theres absolutely nothing you could have done to save your flock but its still very sad.  How kind of your neighbours and friends to help out.  There are good people around.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:59 »
Really saddening story, it must have been very traumtic for you and the little animals.  I'm happy you managed to lead the horse and pony to safety!

Hannah

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:58 »
What an awful time for you. We see on the news the effect the floods have on people but never think about the effect on the animals, your story brings it home.

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:46 »
Really sorry to hear about the flooding and loss of your animals.

Thank goodness, it sounds as though your home wasn't affected? At least that is 1 less thing to worry about.
Helen

splash101

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 13:56 »
That is awful and i'm so sorry.  :(

I'm glad that there were people to help in your hour of need.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 15:04 »
So sorry Sassy, I was wondering last week if any members had been caught out by the floods.  Our thoughts are with you and when you are ready to restock I will see if I have any spare birds (hens and quail).  I hope that you do not get any further flooding and that the water drains away quickly.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 15:33 »
How awful for you all can't really add any more to what people have already said thoughts are with you x

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 08:50 »
Thank you for your thoughts and good wishes.

We are slowly getting sorted out but it will be a while before we can put the horses back due to the amount of silt dropped that even the last few couple of days rain has not shifted.

We will probably wait for spring to restock the poultry but I am a bit afraid to!

Someone asked how deep the water got. In the barn and on the road for about 200 metres it was just above my waist I'm 5'8". In the 'highest' fields - where the stock were it was up to my armpits. The poultry did not stand a chance because we shut them up. The hens that got out must have escaped when the depth of water turned the ark over and the side came off. The ducklings and the drake got out when we went in through the water to check and came out at a rate of knots. The quail were in the barn. The water continued to rise for about 14 hours after it had peaked in York and the farm next door was totally isolated and getting very worried about their stock. It has taken a week for the water to subside level with the top of the drainage ditches. :ohmy:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:19 »
There is nothing more powerful than water.  It must have been so scarey and heartbreaking for you.

I have 3 female Japanese quail that you are welcome to.  They are less than a year old and not laying at the moment due to them moulting.  They will lay after that if you increase the light for them.  You would have quail eggs for Christmas then.  I also have an old rabbit hutch and collapsable run which you are also welcome to.  They are fine here until you are ready for them, just let me know.   :D

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 37 queries.