Sick Light Sussex

• 11 Replies

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
Sick Light Sussex
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:46 »
Hi all,

I've got a Light Sussex, about 5 years old. Until very recently she was fine and laying regularly.

Two nights ago, she didn't come to be fed, then yesterday I noticed she was drinking loads and wasn't interested in a handful of poultry corn. I picked her up and water came out of her beak. Her crop was very full, so I held her head down and emptied it: mostly just water came out, followed by some stuff that just looked like mashed layers pellets, but not very much of that, and no unpleasant smell either so I'm not sure if it's sour crop or not.

Last night, she didn't go in the coop with the others, and I found her perched on a sawhorse in the barn. I put her in the coop. This morning she was still there, standing up (all the others had come out). I've put her in a stable and given her some layers pellets and water with a little bit of molasses in it. She'd not interested in the food but has been drinking. She seems to be having some trouble swallowing (but not drastically).

Any ideas what this might be and how I should treat? She looks a bit listless, but doesn't seem to be either too hot or too cold.

Any advice appreciated!

Casey76

Re: Sick Light Sussex
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:22 »
Does she have a temperature? When was the last time she was wormed? When did she last lay? Have you felt for a stuck egg?

Have you had a look in her mouth to see if ther is anything caught in her throat?

Was her crop full this morning?

Sorry for all of the questions... :)

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:30 »
Does she have a temperature? When was the last time she was wormed? When did she last lay? Have you felt for a stuck egg?

Have you had a look in her mouth to see if ther is anything caught in her throat?

Was her crop full this morning?

Sorry for all of the questions... :)

Thanks for the reply.

She was wormed with Flubenvet about a fortnight ago. I haven't looking in her mouth, but will do so and report back. :tongue2: I'm not exactly sure when she last laid (they're free range), but she has definitely laid since she was wormed (which I know because she "conveniently" laid an egg between a straw bale and the barn wall, and I had to use a long piece of metal to retrieve it!). She doesn't look like she's egg bound at all: she's just standing quietly, not straining.

Her crop was empty this morning. She was "sick" (as I described above) yesterday morning. Unfortunately, we were away all day yesterday so I couldn't keep an eye on her, but judging by how she felt when I put her in the coop last night, she hadn't eaten anything all day yesterday.

She doesn't appear to have a temperature. Is it possible to take a chicken's temp with a thermometer up the bum? If so, what should the temp be?

Thanks for your help.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:15 »
I've checked her mouth and she doesn't appear to have anything stuck in her throat.

[Update] She is doing watery poos now: looks like a blob of yoghourt in a puddle.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 13:34 by VeggieVirgin »

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 13:54 »
Hi there

I would imagine the very watery poos are a combination of drinking a lot and not eating. Are able to get hold of a supplement called Avipro Plus - This goes into the drinking water and contains some essential vitamins etc and is a probiotic so that at least she is getting some nutrients.

Yes you do take a hen's temperature by using a thermometer as you say but I am not sure what the temperature should be & it may possibly vary according to whether or not she is in lay (I'm not sure about that).

Another way to do is to feel under 1 of her wings and then do the same with another hen and see if it is different - not very scientific but will give you an idea.

Hope this helps
Helen

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 14:14 »
Re the temperature I have just found this webpage http://shilala.homestead.com/chickenfacts.html which says 102-103 Fahrenheit

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 16:42 »
Thanks for the info.

I'll try getting some Avipro Plus tomorrow.

The hen still isn't eating - I've tried her with layers pellets in a mash - and is just standing in the corner looking miserable.

helens-hens

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 16:57 »
One thing I have found which almost always works is fresh corn on the cob, which may be worth a try if you have any.

The Avipro Plus supplement is good and I am sure it helped 1 of mine through an illness recently but you do need to get her to eat as soon as you can.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 18:49 »
She ate some brown bread soaked in hot water, and a little bit of mixed corn this evening.

I've also given her some Batril - I had some from the vet for a different chook a few months ago, which died before I could treat it.

I do have some fresh corn on the cob, so I will try that, as you suggested.

Thanks for your help.

wildwitchy

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 23:21 »
Try giving her some mashed tuna or cat food, sardines in oil. The oil might make it easier on her throat. Perhaps it's a bit sore.

Many chickens enjoy that are unwell or as a treat. If I can find, i've got a file on sick chicken diet. I'll send it.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 11:24 »
The Light Sussex seems to be on the mend: she ate some more bread mashed with hot water this morning, and was scratching around.

Fingers crossed!

helens-hens

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:31 »
That's great news, lets hope she has turned the corner.

Still try & get her to eat some proper food. If she is feeling a bit better & scratching around perhaps try the pellets mixed with hot water again.

Let us know how you get on.

xx
Light Sussex

Started by slowef on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 21:07
by MontyTom
xx
Age of my Light Sussex

Started by Gazchook on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 08:38
by joyfull
xx
light sussex

Started by goshawk7 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 12:57
by ANHBUC
question
light sussex

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 14:11
by Casey76

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.