Another feeder question!

• 2 Replies

Pig Cat

Another feeder question!
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:23 »
Well I've had a look through quite a few threads about feeders but still think I need to ask something. I am considering buying a feeder to put pellets in but am concerned about bullying tactics. There are a couple of particularly dominant hens in my flock of seven. I am worried that if the food is in only one place they will stay near it and frighten the others away. At the moment I scatter pellets all around the run. I built a shelter for rain and snow in winter time, so can scatter the food under there, but I thought a feeder might be less hassle and keep the pellets drier.

What is the likelihood that food in just one place will mean the bullies take the lion's share, and is a dedicated feeder really necessary?

Edit: Just realised I am being rather thick. There is no reason why I couldn't buy a couple of feeders to prevent any problems. Would still be interested in your replies. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:28 by Pig Cat »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Another feeder question!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:48 »
If you have bullies, but have the space, then certainly buy 2 feeders.  It gives the lower in the pecking order a chance to spread out a bit.

Just throwing food around is asking for vermin trouble and wild birds are more likely to try to get in and eat the feed too, unless it is a completely covered in run.

grinling

Re: Another feeder question!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 14:57 »
If the area where they are fedd is uncovered then get a wide lid to keep the food dry. I also hang my feeder and water from rafters, to keepit out of mice reach.

question
New chickens installed. Question....feeder in or out.............

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 14:50
by Vember
question
feeder help

Started by Soozie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 12:27
by Soozie
xx
where to put the feeder

Started by Sarah J on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 13:38
by Porffor
xx
what feeder

Started by green stan 77 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 14:04
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 28 queries.