discovery carrots and love in a mist

• 5 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
discovery carrots and love in a mist
« on: September 25, 2012, 20:03 »
Just noticed some of the carrots I planted with onions, harvested in june, are being devoured by slugs, but  the ones planted with love in a mist haven't been touched. It worked with the carrot fly too, going to be saving lots of seed and planting loads more next year.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

snowdrops

Re: discovery carrots and love in a mist
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 20:06 »
That's very interesting
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 20:18 »
It is interesting. I have not come across that one. I have been looking into companion planting and have come across love in a mist as recommended for growing with strawberries, no idea why though! ::) I am going to try planting a lot more flowers to attract/repell insects next year. I may have to start more love in a mist seeds than planned! I am interested to see whether I can create a more balanced environment on my plot and whether that will help with the the general quality and yield of the crops. :unsure:

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 20:24 »
It is interesting. I have not come across that one. I have been looking into companion planting and have come across love in a mist as recommended for growing with strawberries, no idea why though! ::) I am going to try planting a lot more flowers to attract/repell insects next year. I may have to start more love in a mist seeds than planned! I am interested to see whether I can create a more balanced environment on my plot and whether that will help with the the general quality and yield of the crops. :unsure:

The carrots and l-i-a-m seeds were broadcast in a rectangular bed raked in.No thinning a little hand weeding to begin with. I have a beautiful crop all sizes only one ive dugso far has been eaten and i've dug about1/2 the bed. the l-i-a-m doesn't block out the light too.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:50 »
I do carrots with love in a mist and spring onions. It looks beautiful and it seems to work but the jury is out on whether its because of the companionship or down to the soil the carrots are growing in.  I found that carrots were less fly damaged when sown in home made compost and grit sand rather than soil.  A bed of just carrots though is a red rag to a carrot fly  ;)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 16:12 »
Love in a mist is supposed to deter carrot fly. I've never heard of it having any effect on slugs specifically, but I think it's one of the companion plants that's supposed to be just all round good at deterring pests in general, don't know why.

xx
Love, Love, Love International Kidney Potatoes "Terroir

Started by johnnyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 16:14
by DD.
xx
Love, love, love - International Kidney Potato

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 12:45
by DD.
xx
Artichoke Discovery

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 13:18
by Aidy
xx
Does it pay to mist tom seedlings?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 19:00
by Totty

Page created in 0.629 seconds with 29 queries.