Molokhia

• 12 Replies

Dopey113

Molokhia
« on: September 23, 2012, 16:07 »
Anyone grown this at all? and is it possible to do it in a greenhouse maybe? or outside in the UK?
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Molokhia
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 16:12 »
A google tells me this could be mallow... So, do people grow edible mallow? I wouldn't want to eat my lavatera plants.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 16:18 »
Sorry I dont know what mallow is, but molokhia is like spinach but bitter, I get it dry from places like Turkey or Cyprus I think it originates from Arab states

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 16:47 »
Sorry I dont know what mallow is, but molokhia is like spinach but bitter,

Yes, I googled it. It says that molokhia is mallow, in which case you are perhaps more likely to find someone in the UK who grows it to eat. :)

savbo

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:18 »
...so I turn in my office chair and there is my weather-beaten Food For Free...which has a recipe for 'melokhia'...it is indeed made from Common Mallow.

I've posted the recipe in the Cooking forum!

sav

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:30 by savbo »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:38 »
This recipe link suggests the common pink mallow is a substitute for molokhia........... rather than the real thing

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-melokhia

savbo

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 12:22 »
Sorry I dont know what mallow is, but molokhia is like spinach but bitter, I get it dry from places like Turkey or Cyprus I think it originates from Arab states

here's a good link to IDing mallow
http://www.uksafari.com/mallow.htm

easy to find but I guess spring would be best for small tender leaves...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 14:01 »
and this is what the real thing looks like ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 14:09 »
this seems to be the same stuff by another name - it has many according to wiki    :lol:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150783128662#vi-desc

Haz

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 14:18 »
Hi,
I tried to grow it outside couple of years ago with no success.  I think it needs a wormer climate.  Indeed you can try the green house but I think it might be late in the season.  By the way, from where you got the seeds?

Dopey113

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 17:03 »
I got them from Cyprus, the wife makes a soup from the dried leaves, I think its an acquired taste, as its quite bitter, I was bought up eating it so I love the stuff, same as real helium the English one is very mild, but a good Turkish Arab one is very strong, I have given some to friend here and its far too strong for them, and its hard to get good olive oil here as well, we always have to bring it back when we are in Cyprus ot turkey, my mother in law has her own olive grove... so that helps

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 08:49 »
Hi,
I tried to grow it outside couple of years ago with no success.  I think it needs a wormer climate.  Indeed you can try the green house but I think it might be late in the season.  By the way, from where you got the seeds?

I bought a small plant about ten years ago (maybe even more) from a local herb nursery.  It's the common mallow so has smaller flowers than lavatera and grows very tall - about six feet.  It's very hardy, and has survived all sorts yet keeps coming back year after year!  I never knew you could use the leaves like that though - I just bought it because it filled a space in my herb garden!!

savbo

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 16:47 »
Colichorus doesn't seem to be easy to find as seed and there are quite a few sites referring to it being difficult to germinate. Probably best trying to find the dried leaf - maybe in African or Middle Eastern shops?

sav

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 38 queries.