Oca

• 102 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Oca
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 19:43 »
Glad you asked this icbradley - I was wondering the same thing myself!

So now you can dig and eat, and enjoy too, I hope  :D

Foliage hasn't completely died down yet - I'm being self-disciplined for a wee bit longer!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2012, 07:29 »
Last night we had the steamed ones, as I said, but also roasted a couple with the potatoes (for about 15mins only) and they were delicious  :D :D

So if they roast that quickly, then you'd steam them for a shorter time than, say, carrots?  :unsure: Still foliage on them here, so we're not ready to try them yet. ::) :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

icbradley

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2012, 13:10 »
I dug up some if mine and the crop is very disappointing, biggest tuber is 2cm the rest are pea sized and there are not very many.  I blame it on not earthing up or the weather this year or (add your own variable here)….  I will keep some for next year but I have raised such expectation amongst the other allotmanteers on the plot that I will probably look more foolish than usual with a yield that is the same amount of oca as I put in the ground!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2012, 15:26 »
I doubt I'll ever bother with oca again on account of its lack of taste. However, I'm convinced after reading other members' results that this is a crop best suited to polytunnels or greenhouses in the north of the country.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2012, 17:59 »
Last night we had the steamed ones, as I said, but also roasted a couple with the potatoes (for about 15mins only) and they were delicious  :D :D

So if they roast that quickly, then you'd steam them for a shorter time than, say, carrots?  :unsure: Still foliage on them here, so we're not ready to try them yet. ::) :D

Hope you find them worth the wait  :D

Ours are around 3-4 cm long, with a few smaller ones, and some slightly larger

AlaninCarlisle, they manage perfectly well outside in the north, just need to start them off in small pots under cover first

icebradley, they do not need earthing up, as planting them about four inches deep is plenty for them.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2012, 18:21 »
Are they a bit like sweet potatoes?  I tried those this year and they do need a greenhouse in the north.  Mine failed... :(  Perhaps oca might work better if they are similar tasting.
Anne

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2012, 18:32 »
They are much hardier than sweet potatoes and much much easier to grow too, thank goodness  8)

They have a mild lemony flavour when raw, and are crunchy like water chestnuts.

When cooked - and they cook quickly - they are floury like potatoes and take up other flavours well

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2012, 18:36 »
I might try them, it was a pain having the sweet potatoes.  My green house is very small and I kept tripping over them, and then to get nothing at the end was a bit discouraging.

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2012, 21:14 »
I grew Oca this year in a raised bed and in large pots with half soil half compost. Both were prolific

I roasted some like a potato and was disappointed that they were very bland and quite starchy. However, I tried them raw I was a fan of both their taste and texture. If I grow them again most will be eaten raw or possibly in a stir fry

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 10:07 »

I roasted some like a potato and was disappointed that they were very bland and quite starchy. However, I tried them raw I was a fan of both their taste and texture. If I grow them again most will be eaten raw or possibly in a stir fry

Ah, I still have about a pound of them left so will try a couple raw before making a final decision re next season. They were, as you said, very bland and floury when roasted

Auntiemogs

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 12:22 »
Harvested my oca today with mixed results.  They probably could have done with a bit longer but I let curiosity get the better of me (just in case the weather did).  ::)

The six I planted in the raised bed between the beans and the toms didn't do too badly and I'm quite happy with them.  Have a lot of 'tiddlers' which I shall use for seed next year (and will pass some on).   :)

The two which seemed to be doing the best (started earlier/larger plants) were really not ready but had been well munched so I had a good dig and it was the dreaded weevil!  >:(
Needless to say, nematodes will be the order of the day when the weather warms up in the spring....

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Auntiemogs

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2012, 18:16 »
Harvested my oca today with mixed results.  They probably could have done with a bit longer but I let curiosity get the better of me (just in case the weather did).  ::)

The six I planted in the raised bed between the beans and the toms didn't do too badly and I'm quite happy with them.  Have a lot of 'tiddlers' which I shall use for seed next year (and will pass some on).   :)

The two which seemed to be doing the best (started earlier/larger plants) were really not ready but had been well munched so I had a good dig and it was the dreaded weevil!  >:(
Needless to say, nematodes will be the order of the day when the weather warms up in the spring....

Just had a weigh in of the tubers from the raised bed (discarding a few munched ones) - just over 3lbs for six plants.  I have no idea if that's good or not but I'm happy with it.  :)

edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 18:19 by Yorkie »

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 19:12 »
I got just over 2.5 lbs from my six tubers. So you beat me  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 19:23 »
I got just over 2.5 lbs from my six tubers. So you beat me  :D
Having said that Alan, I did try one raw and I wasn't terribly impressed  :wub:, but I shall attempt a roasting at some point in the near future as my vet (from NZ) says they're delicious.  :tongue2:
I shall definitely give them more space next year as I had a fair few sprouting from the stalks and I'm sure if they'd had room to 'flop' they would have done quite well.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know at what point a tuber becomes 'viable' for next year's planting?  I have quite a few about 1cm across and if they have a chance I am more than happy to share...? :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2012, 19:37 »
my vet (from NZ) says they're delicious. 

Those Kiwis will eat anything. Next time you see him ask him about Pooh Hah. We had a Kiwi here who collected all the soft thistles from around the rugby ground and stewed them. Apparently they're a luxury in Auckland where they refer to them as Pooh Hah

Page created in 0.672 seconds with 37 queries.