huge disappointment :( please help!

• 6 Replies

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
huge disappointment :( please help!
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:54 »
My second try at hatching using my broody orp has failed  :unsure:, I candled all the eggs and 3 were infertile and the other 3 have died off in the last couple days it seems, and were rotten (blood ring present in all 3) so I have taken them all out and have replaced the 3 with normal eggs. She's only been on them for 8 days....heres my question. Can I pop some day olds under her? whats the success rate? also should I have her  continue to sit for the remainder of the 21 days or can I pop some under her asap? I dont want to hatch again, it's too stressful and expensive buying fertile eggs and having NO hatch. My kids are gutted as am I :( boo. :(
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
Re: huge disappointment :( please help!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:34 »
I am not a very experienced hen keeper but here is what I have experienced so far, I have a cockerel so there is no reason why my eggs arent fertile, my hens (2) have gone broody and sat - the 1st time was succesful with one chick being born.

The 2nd attempt they clutched a group of 11 eggs (i didnt realise!) obviously these were laid daily and nothing happened with any of the eggs, I am told that the hens realise when something isnt going to happen - 1 hen got off after about the 21 day point but big hen sat and sat for around 6 weeks, eventually I removed them.

the 3rd try there was 4 eggs and only one hatched again both hens sat of the clutch of 4 eggs, after a couple of days - one hens brought the chick out and the bigger hen carried on sitting but again nothing and she left the eggs about 1 week later.

So if I was you I would wait until the 20th odd days - it can take longer than 21 dependant on the breed and if nothing happens this time, then try and pop some day old chicks under her, Ive read on here that some hens dont accept them and some do. I only have one chick but the two hens shared the mothering responsibility.

Hope that helps, it is so disappointing when your counting down the days.

good luck

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 13:38 »
I have never had a problem with my broody Marans accepting chicks, even upto a week or 8 days old, though the younger the better in general. 

Put on a gardening glove if you are scared of being pecked and holding the chick concealed in your hand gently push it under her breast.  If she accepts it she will fluff up her feathers and settle down on it talking to it.

Leave it for about a minute, then assuming all is well add the next and the next etc.  A hen can brood more chicks than she can cover eggs, so if she is large 12 or even more will be fine.  Early evening is best for introductions as then the hen will sit on them all night and the chicks will be used to her voice and smell by morning.  If the chicks are older than 48 hours make sure they have had a good feed and drink before putting them under her.

Your one problem is that not many folk other than commercial hatcheries will have chicks available at this time of year, when most of the hens are in moult.
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 18:44 »
Like dark brown eggs I have often used a hen as a foster mum and never had them reject the chicks. But really the time for hatching is usually in the spring and early summer - frosty weather is on the way.
Staffies are softer than you think.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 21:45 »
By normal, do you mean some fertile eggs, if so leave her. If not fertile then I would break the habit and try nest year, temp at night been 8 in Lincs.
If you try live chicks and she doesn't accept them are you prepared to hand raise with a heat lamp etc.
Have you thought about what to do with cockerals, which are noisy (patient neighbours here). I also do not allow the children near my cockerals as they peck hard.

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 00:04 »
oh, one wee egg seems to be hanging on in there! so she's on that still.  If it's not viable Im not having her sit on any more eggs or chicks, I'll wait until next year. If this one is a CockerEl that's fine, I have 2.5 acres of land with no neighbours for half a mile each side, as for chick/s in autumn, I have a 6 car garage that I use for my rabbits in winter so hen already has a house and large pen inside there (car is banished to the driveway :tongue2: lol) that will do them over winter, Ive got it covered!  ;)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 16:06 »
I have just put a couple of 11 day old chicks under my broody who has one 14 day old chick.  Things seem to be going alright but will keep checking up to roosting time.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Huge Egg

Started by digga666 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 05, 2013, 21:25
by digga666
xx
huge egg

Started by taximan on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 20:54
by Pol
xx
Huge egg!

Started by Lbrook21 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 20:54
by troy
xx
A Huge Egg

Started by whiskygalore on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 08:25
by muntjac

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 37 queries.