pasty vent

• 7 Replies

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
pasty vent
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:03 »
ok sorry about this but ive got one hen that has had a runny bum and pasty vent area all her life (2 year old cream legbar ) and nothing has worked to stop this . im having to wash her bum monthly (well feathers) . they get wormed every 6 months , are fed good quality layers pellets and alowed out of there fixed run (which is a covered dog kennel type enclosure i had custom made 4ft wide  by 6ft high by 14ft long )in the afternoon when i get home from work so have access to grass etc
can anyone advise please as out of ideas
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

Sassy

Re: pasty vent
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:22 »
I have eead that some chooks can carry a virus?/bacteria? that causes this and there is nothing really that can be done other than culling them. I have 2 chooks like this. Apparently it does not affect the eggs. I keep a close eye in summer re flies and flystrike and as it does not seem to give them sore skin around their back ends - which would be a welfare issue - they are happily living out their lives. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:55 »
Think I have read you can put vaseline on the dried feathers after you have bathed and cleaned all the poo off.  It is meant to make it harder for the poo to stick to the feathers.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:34 »
Hi there. I had a hen who for different reasons (was drinking a lot & had the runs, a possible kidney infection, and the first ABs had been unsuccessful) was prescribed by the vet (along with another AB) an oregano based liquid supplement which goes in their everyday drinking water. Apart from being a general 'tonic' one of its claims is to help 'dry up' poos. It may have been coincidental but hers did dry up and I still give it to them occasionally now though at a lower dose than the vet prescribed. It is also used commercially.

I say prescribed, it is only an additive and I am sure it is freely available. Can't remember its name but will look tonight when back home and let you know.
Helen

kegs

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 16:21 »
It might be Herban liquid poultry tonic.  Quite expensive though.  I wonder whether boiling up some oregano and adding the liquid to their drinking water would have an effect?  Anyone tried it?

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 20:55 »
I have seen some adverts about something called happy tummy charcoal it is supposed to help dry up runny poos and other stuff. you could google it and get some ,dont know how much it is hope this helps andy 46
Pull up a perch!!

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:36 »
Sorry it took a while to get back about this. The supplement I was given is called OREGO-STIM, it is supplied by Meriden Animal Health. Looking at the label it is organic and claims to be anti-bacterial, to boost egg production, is an immune booster, drier droppings.

My vet did say that it is one of the few herbal supplements that he would recommend.

Hope this is of some help.

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 13:37 »
Thanks all , will try the OREGO-STIM

xx
White pasty / creamy poo - any advice

Started by RachelO on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 22:51
by RachelO
xx
vent wet

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 13:56
by joyfull
xx
Dirty Vent

Started by peachesandclive on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 14:05
by Bodger
xx
yoke out of the vent

Started by Gandalf on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 22:16
by joyfull

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 36 queries.