parsnips too tempting

• 29 Replies

Mrs Bee

Re: parsnips too tempting
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 23:18 »
I was told ... many years ago that if you want to eat early parsnips you can bung them in the freezer for an hour or so before cooking and eating them.

I have heard of this trick, but not tried it. It makes perfect sense, the freezer is emulating the actions of frosty weather.

But patience is a virtue.

Patience, hmmmmmmm! An interesting concept. Must run that one past the OH :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 05:25 »
As for availability of anything growing, the runners are all but finished now, so are the broad beans, so there has to be a stop-gap somewhere!

I'd start on them Mrs B, if there's the other option of popping down to Twongos...;0(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 18:51 »
We are still getting runners, leeks and celeriac are looking good and there are squash and pumpkin coming as well as beetroot and cabbage and broccoli so perhaps I should practice patience.

Nah, can't do patience, will have a parsnip for  sundays dinner just to test.

Don't ever go to Twongo. >:(
If I need veg not available from the lotty, I go to Spitalfields. ;) Much fresher than supermarket if not as fresh as the lotty. :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 19:22 »
Still getting chard, beans and beetroot here, probably no more courgettes, with leeks, parsnips and oca waiting in the wings. Oh, and potatoes aren't anywhere near finished of course. :)

If I need veg not available from the lotty, I go to Spitalfields. ;)

I'm afraid "Twongo" and others are nearer than Spitalfields for most of us. ::) Enjoy your parsnips on Sunday. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 19:27 »
For the first time this year, we totally by-passed the veg section at Twongos today!

It took a bit of interrogation and a rapid inspection of the list, but nope, we didn't need anything there!

Phew...;0)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 19:48 »
I guess there has to be some compensation for all my crops starting so late this year. I've still got runner and French beans, courgettes, kale (curly and Italian), chard, spinach, beetroot, kohlrabi, cucumbers, tomatoes, spring onions and lettuce coming out of my ears, with a few decent squash ripe and ready to pick and more than enough chillis and garlic to last all year.

Don't think there's much hope for my leeks though, they still look like biros. Ditto the celeriac. I've no idea why they haven't grown.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 19:54 »
Great big crops, Shokks, excellent work there!

Can you try and feed up the leeks and the celeraic?

I've stopped feeding the leeks, but the celeriac seems to respond to a good sploshy liquid feed, and some are getting to fist size, after looking like a pathetic walnut for most of the time!

We're using 6X, dissolved in water!

Maybe worth a try, especially in these last few weeks, and we get some more sunshine!

(The leeks may do something to, as the feed collects in the leaves, and gets absorbed more than somewhat...)!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 19:55 »
Still getting chard, beans and beetroot here, probably no more courgettes, with leeks, parsnips and oca waiting in the wings. Oh, and potatoes aren't anywhere near finished of course. :)

If I need veg not available from the lotty, I go to Spitalfields. ;)

I'm afraid "Twongo" and others are nearer than Spitalfields for most of us. ::) Enjoy your parsnips on Sunday. :D

I'm still getting fr beans and the last lot of beetroot are still coming, carrots, perp spinach and onions from store.
We have a really good stall on the market a farmer who sells his own fen grown pots ect and other vegquite resonable
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 20:35 »
Great big crops, Shokks, excellent work there!

Can you try and feed up the leeks and the celeraic?

I've stopped feeding the leeks, but the celeriac seems to respond to a good sploshy liquid feed, and some are getting to fist size, after looking like a pathetic walnut for most of the time!

We're using 6X, dissolved in water!

Maybe worth a try, especially in these last few weeks, and we get some more sunshine!

(The leeks may do something to, as the feed collects in the leaves, and gets absorbed more than somewhat...)!

I did give the leeks some BFB a couple of weeks back, but no obvious reaction so far. The only liquid feeds I've got on hand right now are seaweed feed or tomato feed - think the celeriac would like those or do they need something more nitrogen based? And do you think the leeks might grow happy faces if I gave them a slosh of seaweed too?

I normally tend to use the slow release feeds like BFB, chicken manure or Vitax slow release tomato/potato feeds for most things. I did finally get round to starting a comfrey patch this year (smaller than planned, since 3 of the 6 plants succumbed to slugs), so next year I can hopefully start using a bit of comfrey feed.

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 06:38 »
I don't see why leeks wouldn't mind some liquid feed Shokks, even this late on in the season.

We dug our first this week, and it was almost surreal, looking at the huge fleshy leaves, and wondering where the bolting stem was...

(Last year, most of them bolted early in the new year, and we always cut this out to use the leeks as normal,)!

I put the fleshy bits down to much more watering with liquid feed anyway, so yes, goferit in my opinion!

Madame Cholet

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 20:10 »
We had them roasted today with pots carrots and beetroot delicious :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 09:28 »
Well we didn't get our roast parsnip or the roast chicken that was to go with it as I spent all Sunday in the local hospital after an ambulance ride with a collapsed husband.

Won't be diggin' the parsnip up this week either as he has been kept in the surgical ward for tests. :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 11:57 »
Awww Mrs B, sorry to hear that.  I hope he feels better soon and they sort out what is wrong!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 17:36 »
Sorry to hear that; hope they sort him out pronto  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Madame Cholet

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 19:18 »
hope thingsare soon better

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2016, 16:10
by mctoon
xx
parsnips

Started by parsniptaff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 12:49
by DD.
xx
Big Parsnips!

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 17, 2013, 17:53
by Ema

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 37 queries.