can there pecking really hurt - broody again

• 11 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
can there pecking really hurt - broody again
« on: September 18, 2012, 21:12 »
Stupid question I know probably but I am quite scared of one of my hens, I dont really like flapping birds in general, but one of them really looks at me with a beady eye!!

Well approx 12 weeks after sharing eggs they have both decided to go broody, I dont want this and moved the little hen off the nest but big bird wasnt having any of it, puffing herself up and making a right noise, I was poking her to move and she kept trying to peck me, I did have gloves on but I was still scared. Could she draw blood?? I want her off the nest, last time she didnt budge not even really to eat or drink. If I cant shift her I will keep my eye out and lock the run doorif she does get off to eat but they tend to share it, but I just need to be reassured that she cant REALLY hurt me and I must be more confident with her..... mustn't I???

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: can there pecking really hurt - broody again
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 21:55 »
One of my broody bantams Lotty has a really good peck at me when I check her chick out.  She has a sharp beak but its not too bad without gloves on.  As you say it is scary when they puff themselves up and go in attack mode. 

The only time a peck has hurt me was one of my girls pecked the back of my bare legs.  Must have thought a freckle was a juicy grub!!    ::)  :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:00 »
Right, Im going to get her/them out now, be brave you can do it....... I think!! lol

grinling

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:41 »
The hen isn't too bad, but I wear the heavy duty gauntlets for the boys who are thugs!! Looking forward to them going.

snow white

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 09:19 »
One of my hens pecks but it is a "oh look a juicy worm" peck and not a vicious peck.  It does hurt but never draws blood or leaves a mark.  Less painful than a papercut.  Just wear thick black plastic gloves or heavy duty gardening gloves if you are worried.  You are bigger and smarter than her, remember that!

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 20:46 »
yes it can hurt ive been nipped a few times pluss my young silkie was bleeding ont the top of his bhead and couldnt open 1 eye when 1 of my ladies attaked him so i would say it hurt

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 21:53 »
I daren''t look mine in the eye without my glasses on!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:11 »
Lol Nerdle!!

I managed to get her off the nest with a couple of pokes (with my gloves on) and I took the eggs away, and changed the bedding (I always do this so there is no smell left - dont know if it makes a difference!) Anyway I seem to have broke both of there broodiness which is great :-) Just got to wait for the eggs again now :-(

grinling

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 21:49 »
Why do you poke her rather than pick her up. It is a good way for her to get used to being handled and good for you as you will need to pick her up and check her over from time to time.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 23:19 »
I had red nail varnish on one day. Big mistake. Huge mistake.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 12:26 »
maybe poke was the wrong words but shove doesnt sound much better, I am scared of her, as she was on eggs, normally she is not that bad and I have handled her, but she puffed herself up and was cackling like mad, she didnt need too much shoving etc.

As i said in the first comment, i am not very bird confident, our 1st two were given to us and I am getting better, she just gives me the eye!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 21:42 »
You are doing really well frenchliving.  A lot of it is just huffing and puffing to try and intimidate you so you leave her eggs alone.  They always remind me of a hedgehog when they spike their feathers up.   :lol:

xx
hurt leg

Started by terri on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 06:46
by hillfooter
xx
Help - Hurt leg

Started by kegs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 18:43
by kegs
xx
Cat and chickens - can he hurt them?

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 22:58
by laurabee
xx
HELP! Chicken hurt......

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 18:08
by joyfull

Page created in 0.773 seconds with 36 queries.