sowing annuals and perennials in autumn

• 3 Replies

allotmentann

sowing annuals and perennials in autumn
« on: September 17, 2012, 20:00 »
Hoping for a little advice here as this will be the first time I have grown from seed in autumn. I assume some will like to be out in the cold and others need to be started indoors, but once germinated do they need to stay indoors or can I move them to a cold frame or polytunnel for the winter? Anything else I need to know? Thank you :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: sowing annuals and perennials in autumn
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 23:30 »
That's too general a question.

It depends on the plant and whether it is a hardy variety.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:04 »
If your seeds are hardy annuals, you can generally sow outdoors now and they will be fine overwintering as seedlings.  This is what they would do naturally themselves, and they will then self seed for years to come  :)  The seed packet will say 'sow where they are to grow' and will probably also say sow spring or autumn and may have HA on the front.  You will get earlier flowers sowing now.

Any annual that says sow at a minimum temperature of ..... is probably a half-hardy annual and is better left until spring next year.  You will have to start these inside and harden them off and they only last 1 year.

Perennials from seed that are sown now will be happier in the polytunnel over winter, but its a very good way to get lots of plants for very little money, that can then be planted out next spring  :D

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:30 »
Thanks so much Newshoot. I am just worried about ending up with a house full of seedlings I  have in my way all winter! What you say makes sense. Sorry, it was a bit of a a vague question Yorkie, I was struggling for the right words for what I wanted to ask! And also never having done it before all information is useful. Seed packets have an annoying habit of telling you what is required for germination but not what to do next! :)

xx
lying nurseries? Annuals,Biennials or perennials

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 19:17
by Yorkie
xx
Green Manure for Autumn Sowing Lawn

Started by Kristen on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 18:13
by sion01
xx
self seeding annuals?

Started by Sheena on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 17:08
by milkman
xx
I have read about annuals.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2023, 17:45
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 37 queries.