Oh No!!! Damn wind.........

• 14 Replies

djbnat

Oh No!!! Damn wind.........
« on: September 17, 2012, 13:39 »
Went up to the beloved lotty yesterday to find my entire french beans flat on the ground.  The winds had done their work.  I thought perhaps a lesson to be learnt,  next year push the canes deeper but on closer inspection the wind had snapped them so not entirely my failing!

Any tips on avoiding this next year?

Not wasted though, I set to and gathered a good old crop from them so nothing lost really  :D
Regards
DJB

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Oh No!!! Damn wind.........
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 13:46 »
Windbreak fabric? Bean frame of sturdier construction?  :unsure:

Glad you still got your crop. :)

:D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 13:51 »
Two thoughts; bamboo canes get brittle with age - new ones have a lot more give in them and shouldn't break off except under the greatest pressure.

Also, some "designs" of support are more stable than others - wigwams are probably the most stable (but not perfect in other respects), followed by "X" frames, inverted "V" structures, with straight lines of upright canes obviously the weakest (you can "buttress" them but you might as well have used a stronger design in the first place!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 14:16 »
I have a frame of 3x2, 8' long and set about 2' above the ground, with my 8' canes resting on either side to produce an X frame with about 2/3 of the cane above the crossing point. canes rest in 1cm notches cut into the frame and are fastened to frame with wire

Very strong

Nicked idea from Kristen IIRC  :)

sav

djbnat

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 15:04 »
Thanks very much for your ideas - may well take up the support frame idea next year as it won't detract from available space and sounds pretty sturdy.  Just used "inverted V's" this year and like most sites it is quite open to the wind.  All good learning from experience  :D
Regards
DJB

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 15:51 »

Make sure you rig up a couple of bracing wires,  (think triangles for strength)  from top left to bottom right and top right to bottom left between the lines of canes.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 16:29 »
Every year when I build big 8ft cane wigwams or double rows for my peas and beans, I end up reinforcing them with guy ropes when the plants get big and vigorous. It's just so much weight if you sow them thickly, which I do.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 17:04 »
Last time I grew runners up a wigwam it didn't blow over but I got fed up with trying to find the beans amongst the tangled jungle of foliage (especially at the top!)

Last time I used an inverted "V" I was lucky that they were near the hedge which stopped them falling over completely and being totally trashed.

(Actually that last statement isn't quite true because using guy ropes as Shokkyy has suggested subsequently worked very well, but these days I'm a Munty-orangutanman!)  :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 17:06 by JayG »

Christine

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 18:15 »
I'll second the old bamboo canes get brittle. Mine have given up in the winds but are not quite flat under the runners so am taking the last beans off before demolition to bonfire and compost heap.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 01:49 »
(Actually that last statement isn't quite true because using guy ropes as Shokkyy has suggested subsequently worked very well, but these days I'm a Munty-orangutanman!)  :)

Yes, I keep toying with the idea of doing the Munty with my runners. This year I did a double row of 8ft canes and it did work pretty well, not too hard to pick even with the very big crop I've had. It would be cleaner and less tangled with a Munty, but what always bothers me a bit is that I'd be using essentially the same amount of space for half the amount of bean plants. The one that's really hard to pick is mangetout, because they're impossible to see amongst the plants. Wonder if they'd work with a Munty.

crh75

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 11:56 »
The one that's really hard to pick is mangetout, because they're impossible to see amongst the plants. Wonder if they'd work with a Munty.

Try a purple podded variety!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 12:51 »
The one that's really hard to pick is mangetout, because they're impossible to see amongst the plants. Wonder if they'd work with a Munty.

Try a purple podded variety!

Well I did that with the French beans, this year I grew two purple varieties. But in all honesty I still struggle to find and pick them. It's partly because there's so much foliage and they can easily hide beneath the leaves, and partly because the stems are purple as well as the pods, and it can be hard to tell which is which.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 14:30 »
It would be cleaner and less tangled with a Munty, but what always bothers me a bit is that I'd be using essentially the same amount of space for half the amount of bean plants.

You can plant a Munty frame pretty densely, and how much space it takes up is partly down to the design - many I've seen pics of have much longer uprights than diagonals which to me slightly defeats the purpose of having most of the beans hanging down nice and straight, so mine has long diagonals and short uprights which also means that you can grow other things underneath (especially if you have remembered to have the high end facing south!)

Pic attached of mine (taken today) - nothing growing underneath now but I did have garlic and salad leaves there earlier on. If you're wondering what the canes are for they are to help support netting on the top side of the beans to deter the pesky sparrows!
You will also see some carrots straining at their too-small enviromesh cage, but probably not be able to see that very unusually for me some of my sweetcorn have 2 or even 3 cobs on, although many of them are still not ripe.
Strange year indeed!
Munty Frame 2012.JPG

hamstergbert

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 14:48 »
Munty frame certainly doesn't have to waste any space to speak of - last year grew oodles of salad leaves under there, this year half a dozen assorted courgettes.

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 22:31 »
Going to try mine over a hazel arch so I walk under them.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

xx
Damn! Damn! Damn! - Spud Question

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 16:08
by Babstreefern
xx
Damn Carrotfly...

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 12:27
by Salmo
xx
how to get rid of my damn brambles

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 13:55
by duncan
xx
Damn rodents

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2020, 08:43
by Russell Atterbury

Page created in 0.683 seconds with 38 queries.