Kohl Rabi harvest time...

• 18 Replies

Growster...

Kohl Rabi harvest time...
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:32 »
Looking at Harry Dodson's lovely old Victorian Garden film for September, he advocates pulling Kohl Rabi when they're quite small, i.e. the size of a walnut, and no bigger than a golfball.

There's a few walnut size ones coming on, so what does the panel suggest is the best time?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Kohl Rabi harvest time...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:23 »
These used to be grown at home, but I've never grown them, and I remember seeing tennis ball sized or even a bit bigger. I've also seen them that size in the shops. They're likely to get tougher and stronger tasting the longer you leave them. Why not try some now and leave some to get bigger and see what you think? It's your produce after all. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 17:59 »
Pick them when young and tender, or they will be chewy I learnt my lesson earlier this year.
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 18:13 »
Id agree - small is best - reminded me i forgot to grow some this year!!!

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 19:26 »
However, if the variety is Gigant (eg: from real seeds) they can be left to grow huge and still remain tender and mild in taste (in my opinion).

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 19:37 »
I've usually treated them as a summer veg and harvested at about golf-ball size. When I've let them grow big, many have become hollow and tough. Given up growing them now as they aren't too popular with the family

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 20:57 »
Thank you all!

I grated the first two (very small) tonight and added a litle mayo to join it up!

Marvellous - well recommended for the early autumn slaw...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 08:46 »
Mine all failed this year, but I usually grow these and eat through the row until they get quite big - tennis ball sized at least.  It is usually only the peel that gets a bit tough and you might get a bit of a gap in the centre of the root when you cut it open, but the rest is perfectly edible  :)

If you do get some big old bruisers they make lovely soup Growster  ;) Or could become a library book in the feezer maybe  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 19:34 »
Mine all failed this year, but I usually grow these and eat through the row until they get quite big - tennis ball sized at least.  It is usually only the peel that gets a bit tough and you might get a bit of a gap in the centre of the root when you cut it open, but the rest is perfectly edible  :)

If you do get some big old bruisers they make lovely soup Growster  ;) Or could become a library book in the feezer maybe  :lol:

Haaah!

You speak my language News - as usual! Love that!

Just to bore you, we had our first Salsify this evening, and it had a great tap root with several small offshoots, and they were binned, leaving a plant weighing about 7oz after peeling and scrubbing, but grated up with a little mayo, some almonds, and a few sultanas, we ate like Kings -and Queens, (as Mrs G is my beloved wife after all)!

The rest goes in tomorow's soup which is going to be dominated by the first leeks, and the rest of the first parsnip...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 20:45 »
Still eaking out the last of my summer veg Growster, but the autumn leeks are soon to be sampled round our way as well  :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 20:48 »
I always let my kohlrabi get big before I use them and never find they get tough or woody, but I guess it depends a bit on the variety. I like them chopped up in stir fries, almost like water chestnut.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 21:24 »
Still eaking out the last of my summer veg Growster, but the autumn leeks are soon to be sampled round our way as well  :D

Leeks just seem to look wanted now don't they!

I love 'em, and Mrs G soups them tirelesly from now on, which is a good way to get yer five a meal...;0)

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 21:26 »
I always let my kohlrabi get big before I use them and never find they get tough or woody, but I guess it depends a bit on the variety. I like them chopped up in stir fries, almost like water chestnut.

Hey Shokks, that sounds a great idea - thank you!

Our's are White something or other, and I didn't realise how tough and tight they really are, lthough, like yo say, not woody at all, just - er - tight and - er - tough...;0)!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 00:21 »
Mine are called Azur Star, really great purple red colour. They're one of the easiest veg I've ever grown, grow really fast and pretty much take care of themselves. If they get really big there's a little bit of woodiness just around the root/stem at the ends, but the rest of it is beautifully juicy and tender.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 05:31 »
Mine are called Azur Star, really great purple red colour. They're one of the easiest veg I've ever grown, grow really fast and pretty much take care of themselves. If they get really big there's a little bit of woodiness just around the root/stem at the ends, but the rest of it is beautifully juicy and tender.

Nice sounding plant that!

How late in the season do you reckon you can get them away?

I sowed some seed a three weeks (I think), ago, hoping for a warm autumn...

xx
Kohl rabi harvest time...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2012, 07:27
by New shoot
xx
Yet another question - this time about kohl rabi/kohlrabi

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 13:34
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Kohl Rabi

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 01:09
by colin120
xx
Kohl rabi

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2022, 12:26
by Candide

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 29 queries.