Chimney soot

• 19 Replies

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Chimney soot
« on: September 16, 2012, 08:16 »
One of the old boys on the site advised me to put chimney soot (from the sweepings) into the soil as a fertiliser/compost type thing.

Just wanted to check here first - I know wood ash is good for the soil but also that coal ash is toxic. Would the chimney soot be safe from mixed coal/wood fires?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Chimney soot
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:47 »
My garden soil is black from years of people adding soot and ash to it.
Well weathered soot makes a good soil conditioner, and darkened soil warms up more quickly in spring, but it tends to make the soil more acidic
I don't think it's bad for the soil,  but there are plenty of better things you could be adding ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:16 »
It depends what you've been burning.  I think the smokeless fuel briquettes have chemicals in them which you wouldn't want to put on your garden ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:20 »
But if the EU have not tested , approved and taxed your chimney soot it will probably be illegal to use it on edible crops !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 09:21 »
But if the EU have not tested , approved and taxed your chimney soot it will probably be illegal to use it on edible crops !

:lol:

but it's going on the soil, not on the crops  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 09:26 »
As Mum has said, well-weathered soot is almost entirely just carbon particles, which is pretty resistant to nature's attempts to attack and rot it down, and the colour can help soils to warm up quicker.

Fresh soot will also contain various organic and inorganic chemicals deposited by the smoke - some will be sulphur and nitrogen-based acidic compounds, some will be complex organic molecules, of which some are likely to be carcinogenic.

Personally I'd avoid fresh soot because of those "unknown quantities" but then again there is probably a whole generation of soot-users out there who swear by it and are living proof that it never did them any harm!  ;)

(Plenty of info to read if you Gurgle "chimney soot carcinogen")
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:47 »
Thanks all. How do you weather soot?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 09:50 »
just leave it in a corner for the wind and rain to work on for a few months ;)

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 15:04 »
OK, I'm going to have my chimney swept and may ask the sweep if he has any spare soot for me. He'll probably think I've been punishing the brandy!  :lol:

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 20:44 »
No As my father in law was a  sweep he was always being asked for soot best is from wood fires tho as coal soot is very acid  ;)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 21:50 »
and that's why you weather it first  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 06:52 »
My book says that soot has about the same nitrogen content as bone meal (5%), and as said here, is a good top dressing and darkens the soil to retain heat.

There are a few trace elements as well, which apparently may benefit roses and chrysanths, but this is applied by soaking a bag of the stuff in water for a couple of weeks.

I also tried it on peas, and they perked up a bit, although I wouldn't be able to prove that!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 08:29 »
I've used quite a bit of chimney soot on the heavier sections of clay on my plot. I do only burn wood and I weather the soot by leaving it in a heap for a few months as Mum says.  Over winter is best as it gets lots of rain on it.

If you have heavy soil it works wonders on opening it up :)  Not sure how much nutrient content it has after being left to weather but its worth using for me just for the soil conditioning properties.  I usually spread it and dig it in with compost in the spring  :)

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 08:39 »
I've used quite a bit of chimney soot on the heavier sections of clay on my plot. I do only burn wood and I weather the soot by leaving it in a heap for a few months as Mum says.  Over winter is best as it gets lots of rain on it.

If you have heavy soil it works wonders on opening it up :)  Not sure how much nutrient content it has after being left to weather but its worth using for me just for the soil conditioning properties.  I usually spread it and dig it in with compost in the spring  :)

The burning * questions which must be asked is where do you weather the soot, does the concentrated run off from the weathering soot heap damage the surrounding soil (hopefully not near any watercourses) and if no damage is evident why bother ?

* :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 08:55 »
AFAIK It doesn't damage the soil, but it could damage foliage if used fresh, in the same way fresh manure can be too acidic.

xx
Soot

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 07:33
by dmhain
xx
Soot

Started by bigginge on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:05
by Goosegirl
xx
SOOT

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 20:35
by sunshineband
xx
Leaves and soot

Started by Chuffy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 13:22
by JayG

Page created in 0.506 seconds with 30 queries.