Two crops for autumn raspberries

• 12 Replies

simonwatson

Two crops for autumn raspberries
« on: September 14, 2012, 15:56 »
I've read that some autumn raspberry varieties will produce a summer crop on last year's wood. Is this a general feature of all autumn raspberries or is it variety specific?

LilacSandy

Re: Two crops for autumn raspberries
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 16:01 »
I have had one do this when I mixed it up with summer fruiting variety but the crop is smaller and not so good.  It is best to clear out all the old growth and this also gives you a chance to remove any weeds and feed the roots.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 16:01 »
If the old canes aren't chopped down in winter some of them will stay alive to produce a small early crop the following year before the autumen crop proper is produced on the new canes.

Whether it's a good idea to take so much out of the plant in one year is another matter (you will probably never know whether the overall crop has been affected or not!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 16:05 »
One year due to illness I never got around to cutting mine down.

Yes they cropped, but as LilacSandy said, the crop was poor and so was that on the new growth. Personally I wouldn't recommend it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 19:30 »
I hate to dissagree but according to Gardening Which, Independent tests on double cropping of Autumn raspberry plants (ie leaving the old canes to fruit the following Summer), have shown that the total crop is a bit larger than for Autumn cropping alone. It also has the benefit of spreading the cropping period from July to late Autumn.
This matches my experience with double cropping. I think that you can do this method with any of the Autumn fruiting rasps.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 19:38 »
You can quote Gardening Which's test conclusion, and your own experience.................
but you can't disagree with someone elses personal experience - that would infer they were lying  :dry:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 19:48 »
Having done it once due to circumstances beyond my control, I know which way I'm going when I'm in control of circumstances.

Apart from which it's so much easier to prune the whole lot once they've finished fruiting, rather than play eeny, meey, miney, mo!

Kirpi

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 20:33 »
I don't think that Realfood was inferring that DD was a liar at all. He was just saying that his findings disagreed with DD's experience. Surely there's room for everyone's findings here.

That's what we are all hopefully here for - to learn from each other and give new ideas some room for consideration.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 18:30 »
Thankyou Kirpi.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 18:36 »
Relatively few aspects of growing plants are either black or white (if only because no-one can do anything about the weather!)

As far as I'm concerned, when in doubt, experiment (unless you've only got one raspberry plant!)  ;)

Kirpi

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 21:04 »

... when in doubt, experiment

You make a good point JayG.

I have two rows of 5 Autumn Bliss autumn raspberry plants.  I am going to cut one row of 5 down over winter and leave the other row to crop twice and see if there is any difference in harvest between the two and see for myself.

Of course, I can't do anything about the weather but the weather will be the same for both rows and I will feed and water both rows the same.

It would be boring and stale if we all did things the way people have done them for years because that's the way we've always done it.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 22:07 »

It would be boring and stale if we all did things the way people have done them for years because that's the way we've always done it.
I think that most people take on board new ideas and adapt their style of growing to suit themselves and their circumstances.  Adopting a very singular growing method and proselytising about it's merits without actual year on year evidence as to it's efficatiousness seems much more strange to me.  :closedeyes:
Cheese makes everything better.

Kirpi

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 23:03 »
Hi Ice - are you stalking me?  :lol:

xx
Are there better Autumn raspberries than Autumn Bliss?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:35
by DD.
xx
Autumn Raspberries

Started by oldgrunge on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2017, 13:33
by wrinkly1
xx
Autumn Raspberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2022, 22:01
by comfreykid
xx
re: autumn raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 15:53
by DD.

Page created in 1.452 seconds with 38 queries.