Butternut Squash - still no fruits

• 32 Replies

Kirpi

Butternut Squash - still no fruits
« on: September 14, 2012, 14:28 »
I have one Butternut Squash vine which has fruits and is looking good for a late harvest. Another vine has had flowers but does not appear to be setting fruit any time soon; just the beginnings of some small fruits.

What do folks think? Any chance of a late harvest on this one? I'll be giving this one a good bucket of nettle and comfrey tea to see if I can boost it on a bit.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Butternut Squash - still no fruits
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 14:31 »
IMO it's a bit too late for the smallies ;)

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 14:39 »
I think you are right but I am allowing optimism to overrule common sense on this one - what else would I do with my nettle tea at this time of year!

LilacSandy

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 14:46 »
I think it will be more to do with warmth than food, but if you can give it protection then the tea cannot hurt,  you can always add the baby fruit to soup.

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 14:52 »
I think that's the problem LilacSandy - there hasn't been a lot of sun warmth this year and an excess of rain has kept the ground temperatures down also. A year I should have grown these under a cloche I think.

LilacSandy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 14:57 »
Mine are the same, some are doing very well and others a waste of space.  The ones that are doing the best are at the top of my plot in full sun,  last year in the dry sunshine all my squash performed well.  Unfortunately we only have hind site as far as the UK weather is concerned.

Kirpi

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 15:25 »
I plan to have a couple of timber framed cloches for next year. Typically, the pumpkins we grew are getting enormous but we would rather have had some nice sweet butternuts!

balfie

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 22:14 »
Reading this, I think I put my plants in the ground too late.
They are growing really well, but only just flowering.

I have two other plants planted a lot earlier (they were given to me, I thought they were courgette plants at first).  At least they have some squashes on them, even tho they are a little small as yet.

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 08:38 »

I have two other plants planted a lot earlier (they were given to me, I thought they were courgette plants at first).  At least they have some squashes on them, even tho they are a little small as yet.

I think (may be wrong) that butternut squash take longer to ripen than most and that is one of the reasons it is often recommended to grow varieties especially bred for the UK climate. Mine are just starting to change colour, they were started off indoors and then planted out as soon as the frosts stopped. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 08:50 »
Although I bought both Uchiki Kuri and Hunter butternut squash seeds I only really had room to grow one of them, and by May I had this kind of premonition that this summer might be a bit of a challenge for butternuts.  ::)

I was right, but no room for smugness as the UK has struggled a bit too (still is!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 08:56 »
Down here in the supposedly warmer Souf I think my U Kuri has 2 fruits on - a truly bad year.

I think Thelma Sanders and Harrier BNS have done a little better - very strange  :blink:

I'll do a better count when the foliage starts to die back a bit - cos it's still triffid-like in there  ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 09:01 »
Golden Nugget have been my league leaders. BNS are struggling to produce fruit and slugs have had the young fruit of the others.

Even my Atlantic Giant pumpkin has stalled at about 12" diameter.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

balfie

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 10:46 »

I think (may be wrong) that butternut squash take longer to ripen than most and that is one of the reasons it is often recommended to grow varieties especially bred for the UK climate. Mine are just starting to change colour, they were started off indoors and then planted out as soon as the frosts stopped. :)

Ah thanks for letting me know.  We didnt get our allotment until April so it was a bit of a last minute rush to get things growing.

Next year I will get the plants going early early indoors to give them a head start.   :)

Wow this is a steep learning curve lol

Kirpi

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 11:17 »
Plenty of Uchiki Kuri - first to appear before Jack o Lantern pumpkins and BNS - I hope we like 'em.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 13:04 »
Plenty of Uchiki Kuri - first to appear before Jack o Lantern pumpkins and BNS - I hope we like 'em.

I do. They're my favourite squash, because they taste good, store well and always give me a crop even when none of my other squash varieties do.

xx
What do butternut squash fruits look like when just formed?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 20:56
by Ice
xx
Marrows & Squash - what to place underneath the fruits?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 06:17
by Robster
clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
butternut (and other) squash

Started by VioletSky on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 12:19
by nipper31

Page created in 0.766 seconds with 39 queries.