Butternut Squash - still no fruits

• 32 Replies

Auntiemogs

Re: Butternut Squash - still no fruits
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 16:47 »
Golden Nugget have been my league leaders.
Golden Nugget has been my best too this year (2-3 fruits each).  Uchiki Kuri and Harlequin only 1 fruit each and they are quite small (about the size of the Golden Nugget). 
My largest Butterbush (bush type butternut) is only just over an inch, so hardly a meal.  :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 21:42 »
My `baby bear`s have done really well,considering the onslaught of enormous huge-issimo slugs we had after I put them in the ground.Some have even started to ripen,and they have gone crazy green leaf-wise this last couple of weeks.

Sadly,all my butternuts have died,succumbed I assume to the lack of sun and very wet soil here >:( The acorn shaped squashes have also not done too well,rather late and small.

I shall try the Uchiki Kuri next year,thanks for the name,seems a favourite.

Kirpi

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 21:46 »
How big do Baby Bear pumpkins grow Carollan? I have some seeds ordered for next year.

I think I will grow my Uchiki Kuris vertically up a wigwam of strong canes with twine spiralling up them for them to cling to and fruits to hang off. They cover a fair bit of ground if left to wander - six feet square from one plant!

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 20:48 »

my butternut plants have taken over an area approx 20ft x 30ft there are a lot of tiny fruits on it but also some larger ones
DSC_0005(2).jpg

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 21:15 »
After 3 years of dismal failure I've finally managed to produce a BNS...well FOUR good sized fruits to be precise :lol:...
Also 5 lovely Rouge vif d'etampe pumpkins and 4 crown prince.....after the shocking start to the growing season it's turned out not bad after all :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 22:28 »
How big do Baby Bear pumpkins grow Carollan? I have some seeds ordered for next year.

I think I will grow my Uchiki Kuris vertically up a wigwam of strong canes with twine spiralling up them for them to cling to and fruits to hang off. They cover a fair bit of ground if left to wander - six feet square from one plant!

This year I grew mine climbing up some sturdy wire wrapped around a dead tree trunk and they clearly liked it. Helped keep the slug attacks down to a minimum too. I didn't have to tie them in at all, just steered them a bit.
Uchiki Kuri (440 x 587).jpg

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 08:23 »
I would say you are unlikely to get much more growth. I have six plants which were planted as early as I could after the first frosts. I have about 20 squash but I would say the biggest is about 8" long. They have been fed and watered regularly - but as it has been a bit cooler at nights lately here in Nottinghamshire - I would say they have not grown in size in the last couple of weeks. They appear to be ripening though - slowly losing the green tinge and turning more yellow. I am hoping I will have a harvet of some small but tasty squash.!!
Hunter.JPG

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 19:01 »
I gave up on BNS a couple of years ago after three years of failure. I've gone over to Jumbo Pink Bananas. Very similar in looks (more rugby ball shaped) and taste, but far far easier to grow.

My plants went out late this year,early June instead of May, and I picked an 8lb Jumbo at the weekend, with about 5 more growing well on 2 plants. I have sacrificed the tiddlers, of which there were about 9 as they wouldn't grow much more now due to the cold.

Even the ground they are in is quite poor, I was stuck for space so bunged them in on a part of the plot that hasn't been manured or improved since I've had it (4 years now)

I'm hooked on Jumbo's.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

allotmentann

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 06:48 »
I would say you are unlikely to get much more growth. I have six plants which were planted as early as I could after the first frosts. I have about 20 squash but I would say the biggest is about 8" long. They have been fed and watered regularly - but as it has been a bit cooler at nights lately here in Nottinghamshire - I would say they have not grown in size in the last couple of weeks. They appear to be ripening though - slowly losing the green tinge and turning more yellow. I am hoping I will have a harvet of some small but tasty squash.!!

Mine are about like yours, but I noticed from your photo (unless the angle is deceiving) that they also look like mine - a mixture of the proper shape and perfectly round. I was really surprised to find this difference in shape and wondered what I had done, or not, to cause this. Most have made no attempt at all to look like a butternut! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 09:34 »
most of mine are roundish as well  :lol:

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 12:40 »
The photo is not decieving - they are a mixture of shapes - some long and traditional shaped - others round and short. Thinking about it - there is no obvious reason reason for this - different shaped ones stem from the same plant - they are planted through a black mulch sheet into planting pockets - a grow bag in each pocket - the squash have not been restricted in any way - I am just happy if I get some to harvest . ( I presume they will all the taste the same - but the rounded ones may be all seed and no flesh ? -  )

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 13:12 »
I think it must depend on how well they get pollinated, but they do all taste the same  :D

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 16:05 »
I have six plants which were planted as early as I could after the first frosts. I have about 20 squash.

:ohmy: I have 4 plants, which have had most of a bed to themselves (and filled it and wandered into others!). I only have 4 BNS as a result of much pampering, one of which is just 2 inches long and trying valiantly. Well done! Am very envious!

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 17:34 »
Picked some today as I am going away ... 4 of the best - some round - some long ...
squash.jpg

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 20:07 »
my butter nuts are green will they trun yellow later  ?  :unsure: 
they are also the size of a foot ball but still butter nut shape   :ohmy: i have 7 of them on one plant
if they don't go yellow can i still eat them
hope someone can help
thanks 

xx
What do butternut squash fruits look like when just formed?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 20:56
by Ice
xx
Marrows & Squash - what to place underneath the fruits?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 06:17
by Robster
clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
smiley
Butternut squash

Started by pottylotty1 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 19, 2017, 14:26
by AnnieB

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 38 queries.