Rhubarb boo boo?

• 12 Replies

balfie

Rhubarb boo boo?
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:55 »
We harvested our rhubarb to within an inch of its life, and then my husband strimmed what was left of the leaves (it was getting buried in grass so the wholel lot got strimmed). 

Now I am wondering if this was a mistake?  (Bit late now we've done it I know!)

Although two of the crowns now have baby leave regrowing.

What do I need to do with the crowns to prepare for winter? 
Do they need feeding?  I presume we leave on the leaves that are now growing?

The third crown isnt doing much leafwise, could we have killed it?

And sorry if this is a thick question, but does the crown need sunlight if it hasnt got any leaves?  The grass around it is covering it, and I dont know if I should leave it with the cover as protection or uncover it?

All help and advice gladly received!

savbo

Re: Rhubarb boo boo?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:03 »
They are pretty tough cookies, so you may be alright. No it doesn't need sunlight if no leaves. good to try to clear grass away over winter as hard to do in spring!

seem to be 2 schools of thought on winter management:
- cover with manure, feed and protect the crowns from frost at the same time!
- don't cover with manure, that leads to rot! Cover with straw/fabric!

I've done the first for a few seasons now and have got away with it and plants are massive.

sav

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:19 »
The third option is to leave the plant to fend for itself.

Where I'm concerned rhubarb is a tenacious weed and I only allow it allotment room because my wife likes it! Personally I've got better things to give my compost to.

I've ill-treated mine like this for about five years now and it gets bigger every year. Having said that, it is growing by the side of a large pallet compost bin so it will be getting a constant leach of nutrients every time it rains through the heap.

ryetek

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:46 »
I've ill-treated mine like this for about five years now and it gets bigger every year. Having said that, it is growing by the side of a large pallet compost bin so it will be getting a constant leach of nutrients every time it rains through the heap.

Like you we also have ours next to a pallet-based compost bin but otherwise it does not get a lot of attention. It's a fairly tough plant.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:08 »
I'd give it a good feed and then leave it alone.  Don't force the crowns and pick lightly next year until you're sure it's recovered and growing strongly.  There's usually no need to strim up-to and over rhubarb, a healthy plant will cast enough shade to prevent growth of anything else within 6"-18" of the crown.  Tradition is to stop picking rhubarb at midsummer to allow the plant to put energy into the crown for the rest of the year.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 18:41 »

seem to be 2 schools of thought on winter management:
- cover with manure, feed and protect the crowns from frost at the same time!
- don't cover with manure, that leads to rot! Cover with straw/fabric!

I've done the first for a few seasons now and have got away with it and plants are massive.

sav

My Dad said to dig up the rhubarb roots for the winter and let the frost get at it! Mind I've never tried it myself, I've always left it too late and the ground is hard as a rock!
Anne

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 18:48 »

My Dad said to dig up the rhubarb roots for the winter and let the frost get at it! Mind I've never tried it myself, I've always left it too late and the ground is hard as a rock!

My FIL grew loads for the whole Scottish village he lived in and every few years would dig it and leave over winter to give it a boost!! He was renowned and known as the Rhubarb man..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

balfie

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 20:06 »
Well I'm glad we havent killed it off, actually there are three of them  ???
And we havent fed them, but they are right next to our pallet compost heap.  Interesting that the compost heap is leaching nutrients into the ground, something I didnt know.

Some really good advice here, thankyou I have learned a lot I think  :)

Dont know that I feel brave enough to attempt digging them up this year, I will give them a feed and see how they go.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

balfie

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 20:14 »
I'd give it a good feed and then leave it alone.  Don't force the crowns and pick lightly next year until you're sure it's recovered and growing strongly.  There's usually no need to strim up-to and over rhubarb, a healthy plant will cast enough shade to prevent growth of anything else within 6"-18" of the crown.  Tradition is to stop picking rhubarb at midsummer to allow the plant to put energy into the crown for the rest of the year.

Regarding feeding it, is it best to use manure, or are there liquid feeds you can give (like Tomorite)?

Also, what do you mean by 'forcing' the crowns?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 21:40 »
Tomorite is a fast-release, liquid potash feed.  Not suitable for what you describe.

'Forcing' is putting something like a bucket over the crown of the plant in early spring, before it starts shooting.  You force the plant through lack of light to produce early and weak / pale shoots which are sought after.

Don't force a young plant, and don't do it for consecutive years as it takes a lot of energy out of the plant.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

balfie

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 22:06 »
Tomorite is a fast-release, liquid potash feed.  Not suitable for what you describe.

'Forcing' is putting something like a bucket over the crown of the plant in early spring, before it starts shooting.  You force the plant through lack of light to produce early and weak / pale shoots which are sought after.

Don't force a young plant, and don't do it for consecutive years as it takes a lot of energy out of the plant.

Thanks for the answer, I have often seen it be mentioned, to force a plant and never knew.

Regarding the feed, I will go with the manure option.
Thanks!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 23:47 »
Thanks Yorkie - I also never knew how forcing actually was done!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 23:52 »
More detailed info towards the bottom of the RHS page on rhubarb here:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=544

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 21:21
by flitwickone
xx
Rhubarb

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 08:16
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 19, 2023, 16:46
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 37 queries.