Anyone grown Bonbon squash?

• 8 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Anyone grown Bonbon squash?
« on: September 13, 2012, 22:42 »
This year I grew Uchiki Kuri, which has done quite well, plus Harlequin and Crown Prince which have not done so well. They've limped along all summer.  I've now got two small Harlequin fruit and I'm crossing my fingers they'll grow a bit more, but this is the second year running I haven't done well with Crown Prince so I'm going to give up on that one. I'm looking for a third variety to try next year instead, and I was thinking of trying Bonbon. It came up on Google as good for taste and storage and fast growing.

Anyone grown this? Did you get a worthwhile crop?

BabbyAnn

Re: Anyone grown Bonbon squash?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:02 »
I really wasn't too impressed with the ones I grew a few years back, and they most certainly didn't store very well compared to other squash.  Having said that, I only grew them the one time so perhaps not the best way to rate them.

Shame about the Crown Prince as I haven't had problems growing that before and normally they are big plants that do exceptionally well.  I think this year was a little on the cool and wet side for some squashes so the weather could be the reason?  Some of my winter squashes have not done anywhere near as well as last year - I grew 3 Celebration plants (a lot like Harlequin) and each plant had as many as 5 good size fruits whereas this year I only grew 1 plant (along with several other varieties in the same bed) and the one and only fruit is about the size of a peach.  I definitely think much of my problems has been down to the wet summer and possibly loss of nutrients in the soil.  

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 19:35 »
Independent taste tests have BonBon at the top for taste and texture. Sweet, flavoursome and lovely texture. I would agree that it needs to be eaten early before Christmas.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 19:57 »
Who's independent taste tests might these be and how many people took part in the test?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 20:14 »
One man and his dog!  Who cares quite frankly

I think we are at liberty to say whether we like the taste of Bon Bon or not without being interrogated about it.  It's like the Spanish Inquisition

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 21:07 »
Independent taste tests have BonBon at the top for taste and texture. Sweet, flavoursome and lovely texture. I would agree that it needs to be eaten early before Christmas.

Are you quoting from the growyourown.info website, or did you find this at another source? I'm asking because I saw the same comment there too but haven't found anything else to back it up, which is why I was asking if anyone had personal experience of growing them.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 22:10 »
One man and his dog!  Who cares quite frankly

I think we are at liberty to say whether we like the taste of Bon Bon or not without being interrogated about it.  It's like the Spanish Inquisition

I posed the question for good reason, a reason that shokkyy has alluded to.

Just as someone is at liberty to say whether they like the taste or not - preferably openly - I'm at liberty to ask the question I did. 

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 18:25 »
"Gardening which" did the independent taste tests, and having grown quite a few different (12)Winter squashes this year, I still think that BonBon is the best tasting but as I said, it is not the best one for storage which is why I eat it early. Crown Prince has almost as good a taste and should store till May next year.
People should try them and make their own mind up, but BonBon would always be on my "must grow" list.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 22:16 »
"Gardening which" did the independent taste tests, and having grown quite a few different (12)Winter squashes this year, I still think that BonBon is the best tasting but as I said, it is not the best one for storage which is why I eat it early. Crown Prince has almost as good a taste and should store till May next year.
People should try them and make their own mind up, but BonBon would always be on my "must grow" list.

Thanks for that. I like the taste of Crown Prince a lot, but this year I've had nothing at all from 3 plants, and last year all I managed from them was 1 very small fruit. It did taste nice, but that's a lot of effort for one tiny squash. Maybe I'll give them one more try next year, but so far they don't seem to want to do well for me.

xx
Can squash be grown in a 100L bin?

Started by Scottish Mike on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 11:44
by compostqueen
xx
Anyone grown squash under runner beans?

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 12:02
by 3759allen
clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Ever grown these before.....

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 22:40
by gobs

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 36 queries.