is it too late

• 16 Replies

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
is it too late
« on: November 18, 2007, 17:30 »
Is it too late in the yaer to put down grass seed? i have cleared a patch where my chicks are going to go and thought i wud put grass seeds on it and cover with clear polythene?
Ive had loads of bonfires lately and didnt know what to do with the ash till i came on here and  read  what to do with it  but now i know so thank you one and all :D  :D  :D.
need all the help i can get and not just with my allotment

Selkie

is it too late
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 17:34 »
have you sorted out the asbestos on your site first though? you wouldn't want fragments of it on the ground where your hens are going to be?

WG.

Re: is it too late
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 17:35 »
Quote from: "ToHellWithWeeds!"
Is it too late in the yaer to put down grass seed?
Too late IMHO

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
is it too late
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 17:40 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
have you sorted out the asbestos on your site first though? you wouldn't want fragments of it on the ground where your hens are going to be?

luckly there wasnt any that far down there  thank god otherwise i wouldnt  get any chicks because i wouldnt want to hurt them  :cry:  :cry:  but i still dont know whats in the ground because i burnt all the weds and havent dug the soil up yet!! so fingers crossed it will be asbestos free  ]

Selkie

is it too late
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 17:42 »
ooh collette, i just thought -- you wouldn't really be able to use that ash unless it's all from wood, i don't know what kind of rubbish you've been burning but if you have been burning plastics ( :evil: ) you wouldn't want to use that ash.

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
is it too late
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 17:48 »
ooh collette, i just thought -- you wouldn't really be able to use that ash unless it's all from wood, i don't know what kind of rubbish you've been burning but if you have been burning plastics ( :evil: ) you wouldn't want to use that ash.

Oh dam and blast ive burnt all kinda stuff now i dont know what im gunna do with it  :( probably bag it up and take it to the local tip never mind but thanks for that as i wudda just used it  you have probably saved me a lot of head scratching as to why nothing was growing so ta

WG.

is it too late
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 17:50 »
Please please never burn plastics.  The ash is the least of the problems - the smoke contains carcinogenic dioxins.

Selkie

is it too late
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 17:56 »
Quote from: "WG."
Please please never burn plastics.  The ash is the least of the problems - the smoke contains carcinogenic dioxins.

thank you wg. totally agree, plastic burning is  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

frazzy

is it too late
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 17:56 »
i think its to late for grass seed but you could turf it or wait till spring for better germination.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
is it too late
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 17:56 »
Quote from: "WG."

OOPS i didnt know what was in the mounds on my plot but the owner on the next plot to me said there was nothing harmfull or explosive in them so took his word for it

Selkie

is it too late
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 18:01 »
collette you could do like frazzy suggested and use turf from another area

i've 'fenced' off part of my run to let the grass recover for a while; and i have planted tufts of grass/dandelion/lawn daisies (that were growing in our path) in some of the bare patches on the run. it all has caught really quickly and will be lovely and lush in the spring.

my hens love the 'wild flowers' (or what you might call weeds) in their run - they eat daisy flowers, dandelions, plaintains, buttercup leaves etc etc

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
is it too late
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 18:06 »
collette you could do like frazzy suggested and use turf from another area

i've 'fenced' off part of my run to let the grass recover for a while; and i have planted tufts of grass/dandelion/lawn daisies (that were growing in our path) in some of the bare patches on the run. it all has caught really quickly and will be lovely and lush in the spring.

my hens love the 'wild flowers' (or what you might call weeds) in their run - they eat daisy flowers, dandelions, plaintains, buttercup leaves etc etc

i wouldnt of thought of putting "weeds" in with the grass  great idea  :D do you have toys for your hens to "play" with if so what do u use?

Selkie

is it too late
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 18:16 »
well my run is so big that they don't really get bored ( :wink: munty);

they have a pile of big pieces of driftwood (you could use logs) that i move around every so often -- all sorts of creepy crawlies live in the wood and when you turn them over the hens are practically looking over your shoulder and trying to be the first at them :D

i've been putting in autumn leaves from the trees in a corner for them too; they love scratting about in them, looking for more creepy crawlies.

they also make dust baths in the earth and spend AGES fluffing about in them

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
is it too late
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 18:22 »
well my run is so big that they don't really get bored ( :wink: munty);

they have a pile of big pieces of driftwood (you could use logs) that i move around every so often -- all sorts of creepy crawlies live in the wood and when you turn them over the hens are practically looking over your shoulder and trying to be the first at them :D

i've been putting in autumn leaves from the trees in a corner for them too; they love scratting about in them, looking for more creepy crawlies.

they also make dust baths in the earth and spend AGES fluffing about in them

will keep all of the above in mind when i  or if i get my hens which seems a long way off just seen the wheather forecast and its a wet week for us so not much will get done :(  i wish id got my allotment befor now because i want ebery thing to be done like yesterday

Selkie

is it too late
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 18:26 »
but winter's a good time, think of all the preparation you will be able to get done and then you'll be ready to get things started in the spring :wink:

(sorry, my parents call me pollyanna because i can always {usually} find something to be happy about :D )

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
Am I too late?

Started by Mrs Gumage on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 10, 2007, 10:50
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.717 seconds with 36 queries.