Growing Courgettes

• 26 Replies

Growster...

Re: Growing Courgettes
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 18:04 »
We planted 10 'Striato D'Italia' from Premier Seeds on two beds this year, and like lots of other veg, they all seem to have developed minds of their own in the odd conditions we've all had...

Two have had nearly all male flowers, and has only just found out about female flowers! (clearly a late starter in more ways than one).

Two have grown a double stem, with twice as many fruits and going mad into the bargain!

Escapees have been commonplace on three others, but not the rest.

Five are standing almost vertical.

Four are wandering over the paths and getting in the way.

We're getting on average 5 fruits a day, and two escapees as well!

They all are fantastic julienned and mayoed, and that's a first this year, as last year another type did very little except sulk, and moan all the time...

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 18:06 »
Hi growster... how do you mayo a courgette?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 20:26 »
Hi growster... how do you mayo a courgette?

Growster is nowhere near as adept at making these dishes as Mrs Growster, Gavin, but here goes...

Take your courgette, pass a spud-basher along one side, and then the opposite side, to create a flat and even surface on two long sides!

(Are you with me so far, I ain't Joimy Oviler' yer now...)!

(Take a quick swig at your wine glass, as this is the most important ingredient, although it has no contact with yer acshell courgette slaw...)!

Take a Julienne machine, which will cut the courgette into thin strips, and gracefully drag it lengthways along the flat surface of the vegetable, so that you end up with several thin strips of raw courgette, and four rather blooming and worrying fingers if you don't do it properly! If you don't have a Julienne machine, first, commit Hari Kari, then get a sharp knife, and cut the offending vegetable into incredibly thin, parrallel strips, about 1/8th inch by 1/16th inch. You may experience trouble if the veg has too many seeds, but the 'Growster Method' dictates that you take only the youngest, freshest vegetables available, so you're way too late if you encounter seeds of any size! In fact, I'd give up now if I were you!

(Take another quick swig at your wine glass, as this is the next most important ingredient, although it has no contact, or relevance with yer acshell courgette slaw...)!

Wander your courgette strips around in a bowl, until they are all separate, and can be viewed as individual entities in their own right, i.e. not all jumbled up like a parcel - they need to be foot-loose and fancy free, rather like I was many, many years ago...

Take another small bowl, and add a desert spoonful of yer common-or-garden salad cream to it. Also, add a two-inch squirt of garlic puree, or if you're lucky, and you had success with garlic this year, just a clove of well splunched and squonked garlic (one clove only, Mrs Conway may complain if you use more).

Chuck in a pinch of any herbs that appear at eye-level (don't forget that you're already on several tinctures after the various drinks you've consumed, so, this may be difficult, but try to hold out your hand and grab the jar closest to your shoulder, to alleviate joint pain and glass all over the floor...)!

(Take another quick swiglette at your wine glass, as this ish the mossse importantant ingredient, although, hic, it has no contact with yer acshell courgette slaw thing stuff...)!

Throw everything together (not the wine), and stir it gently together in the bowl, whistling a happy tune, and considering another gulp at the tincture glass, strategically placed within grasping distance, rather like Mrs Conway, but that's not for now is it...!

Leave it for ten minutes, while the flavours meld somewhat, then gently spoon it onto your plate, trying to keep it from being bruised as much as possible, as those lil' ol' strips can break and mush-up very easily!

And there you are!

Growsterclass done! You are there with flying colours, my friend, and I hope you enjoy this simple, peasant dish as much as I do, because I live on it during the week!

allotmentann

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 20:56 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Growster that is an excellent recipe!

gavinjconway

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 21:00 »
It sure is and I'll try it soon!! Well done G

viettaclark

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 22:20 »
Do you know I never thought of a courgette slaw!!!
How brilliant Growster! I can substitute it for the cole in my slaw and use up some of the many fruits I'm getting. :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 22:30 »
I could mention that courgettes are an excellent candidate for planting in a lasagne bed, but I don't think I'll bother on this occasion.  ;)

I think you already did. ::)
Cheese makes everything better.

Kirpi

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 00:16 »
I promise that's the absolute last time Ice  :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 05:16 »
Thank you AllotmentAnn, and Vietta!

Gavin, it's a pleasure to make and eventually eat, but seriously, it needs to be made very gently, otherwise it becomes just a mushy mess!

I can't wait until the salsify is ready (probably in about three weeks time), as that version is even better.

Then, onto the celeriac, as the whole idea came from friends here in the first place!

gavinjconway

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 10:25 »
I'll keep it in mind when pounding them with a big spoon ...  ;)

gavinjconway

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 18:45 »
Growster - the recipe is great - just had some as an early snack.... We had some on pringles crisps and was delicious.. 

Another option will be the addition of some chives - going to try it over the weekend.

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 07:30 »
Growster - the recipe is great - just had some as an early snack.... We had some on pringles crisps and was delicious.. 

Another option will be the addition of some chives - going to try it over the weekend.

So glad you liked it Gavin, and the chives addition is a good way to 'spice' it up a bit, so I'll try it next time too, thanks!

xx
Growing Courgettes - flowers ?

Started by mark.carline on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 09:54
by mark.carline
xx
Growing Courgettes in Pots

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2018, 18:59
by JayG
xx
growing courgettes up a trellis

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 21, 2014, 17:53
by Auntiemogs
xx
Courgettes

Started by Boothy on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 22:27
by chickchick

Page created in 0.635 seconds with 36 queries.