Corn amounts?

• 9 Replies

RICH_Chicken

Corn amounts?
« on: September 11, 2012, 14:25 »
Hello all,

Just got some new pol they look great and settled in nice, just a question with regards to feeding corn how much and when? They seem to love it, I'm worried I might be feeding them too much? Only 1 has started laying can too much corn stop them laying? Any advice

Cheers
Rich_Chicken :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Corn amounts?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 14:34 »
Let them fill up on their pellets during the day so they get a ballanced diet.  Any corn or other treats are best given late afternoon and in very small amounts.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 19:08 »
I give mine 1oz per bird scattered in the run as a scratch feed. They get this in the early evening during summer and late afternoon in the winter.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:40 »
If you have free ranging birds, it is useful to give them a small amount in the morning to give you time to check them out before opening the pen.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 13:35 »
Mine get 3 or 4 handfuls every evening thrown in the run among the bark chippings. It's the only way I can get them in from the garden before it gets too dark to see what I'm doing!

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 14:20 »
Some folks make the mistake of feeding corn to their hens as their main diet instead of LAYER PELLETS OR LAYERS MASH which they should be fed. Think of corn as BUNS and feed sparingly

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 15:07 »
Treats like corn can make them fat, so keep it to a minimum and they may start laying for you!

Are you feeding them their layers pellets or mash ad lib?  Chickens are browsers and will come and go to their feed throughout the day.

Some people make the mistake of only feeding them once or twice a day then removing the food until next time.

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 10:27 »
Whether or not your chickens free range thier main diet should be layers pellets or mash.

Treats (including corn) should be limited to 5% of your chickens diet, and this equates to approximately 1 tablespoon.

Hybrid layers, especially production reds, should be fairly lean, weighing between 1.25 and 1.5kg only.  At this weight their keel (breast) bone will be fairly evident... if its not your hens are fat.  Fat hens can have problems laying, and suffer more with prolapses etc than lean hens.

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 13:09 »
As mentioned before 1oz per bird scattered before they go to roost , it lets you have a last check on them and gives them some high calorie fuel to see them through a cold winters night.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 08:06 »
Agree with all of the above. Would also point out that being pol some may not start to lay until the new year. You may be lucky but they are all different even when they are from the same hatch. Whatever, the eggs are worth waiting for :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Poorly chicken drinking excessive amounts of water

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 19:29
by bantam novice
xx
Possible for a Hen to not like Corn?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 13:24
by SMS6
xx
corn

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 12:18
by dizzylizzie
xx
Corn

Started by sally10 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 19:46
by k4t1e195

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 37 queries.