Elderly hen acting oddly

• 9 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Elderly hen acting oddly
« on: September 06, 2012, 20:41 »
This is a serious question, but do hens get Alzheimers or something similar?

Asking as I have a 7 year old Yokohama who is acting oddly.  She is OK most of the time, but has spells of total confusion.  Usually she loves eating out of your hand and rushes over to you, but then every so often she looks at you as if she is scared and dosn't know you.

She sleeps a lot and had a spell of going to sleep on top of the coop late afternoon, then waking up after the rest had gone to bed and panicing. We've seemingly got past that, but the last couple of nights she has been one of the last ones out (unusual in itself) then been creating a racket and looking like she doesn't know where to go.  If I pick her up and put her into the coop, she immediately calms down and goes to roost.

Its all a bit strange  :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Elderly hen acting oddly
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 23:13 »
Could it be her sight that is going?  This would cause confusion.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:38 »
I wondered that, but her eyesight seems fine so far.  She can see you coming with food and is ready for her share by the time you get to the coop.

Its more a sort of strange panic and bewilderment, but then she snaps out of it  :(

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:01 »
It is a good age for a hen so you may be right about her memory or possibly a stroke.  She could also be recognising your shape and the sound of you coming with food rather than being able to see properly.  If she has limited visibility any strange noise would spook her.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 15:31 »
She can pick even tiny seeds out of your hand and is very particular about which ones she likes best, but maybe her long distance vision is going  :unsure:

She's happy most of the time and in pretty good shape for her age.  Guess I'll see how it goes, but hopefully she will slip peacefully off the perch one night in her own time.  Unless she gets very distressed or stops eating, I'll bear with her having senior moments  :)

I've got a Wyandotte bantie the same age and a Vorwark bantie 2 years older at 9 who are both faring better in old age.  They are grumpy old girls at times though  :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 16:53 »
It is all the love and care you give to them.  Hope as you say she slips away peacefully when the time comes.   :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 13:14 »
Just an update to say my poor old Yokohama bantam finally fell off the perch today.  She was pottering around to the last and was a ripe old age, so can't be sad. 

Funny really.  OH came home in triumph a few days ago with a coop and run set-up he had got from a customer in exchange for knocking a few quid off the bill.  He said he had got it as I would probably need to raise some chicks in the spring as he had a feeling we would lose a couple soon. He's fixed it up and it is very nice - will put pics on a new thread.

Ayway - here's pics of my other 2 very old OAPs

Mrs Doubtfire the 9 year old in her favourite spot by the run door - first to get whatever comes through that gate even at her ripe old age  ;)  She's the one at the back and is a bantam Vorwark.

Fat Girl in her favourite spot on breezy autumn days - in the house nice and cosy but still keeping a beady eye of everything  :lol:  She's a 7 year old bantam dottie.

helens-hens

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 13:26 »
Very sorry to hear about you losing your girl today  :(. Having said that she went in the best possible way - in a loving home, at a very good age and it seems like very good health for her years, without suffering - can't really ask more than that I guess.

Your other hens look great for their age - I hope they have a good few, healthy & happy years in front of them  :)
Helen

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 22:34 »
Sorry for your loss New shoot  :(

Your hens look beautiful and very well cared for.  My youngsters are looking really scruffy compared to your elderly ladies.   :)

YoungChickenLover

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 13:27 »
Sorry for your loss  :( You're SLW is adorable though!!!

xx
chicken acting different

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 18:15
by dizzylizzie
xx
Hen acting very strangely

Started by SJC on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 20:04
by barley
xx
Chicken acting strangely

Started by PJM on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 16:32
by grinling
xx
Eric is now acting like a cockerell

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2012, 20:27
by Fiona55

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.