Allotment envy!

• 9 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
Allotment envy!
« on: September 06, 2012, 11:13 »
Went to the Beamish museum up here in the North East at the weekend - a great day at a brilliant place in beautiful weather!

Part of the museum is a recreation of an old pit village, complete with a line of pitman's cottages. What amazed me most was that the gardens were taken over by allotments, which I guess in 1913 was more common than a decorative garden, and every allotment was crammed with huge amounts of vegetables.

There were lines of pea plants with hundreds and hundreds of pea pods on, the plants almost bent double with the weight of peas. One had cabbages the size of beach balls, and another had a row of enormous turnips that an old man and his entire family and pets would struggle to pull up! There were rows of beetroot and onions the size of grapefruit, and leeks that were a good 6" wide! Don't even get me started on the Kohl rabi!

On another plot at the Pocklington Manor part of the museum, there was a line of leaf beat in which each plant had the curcumference of a tree and a row of perfect, enormous, red lettuce with not a sign of any pest damage whatsoever!

How??!?!  ???

OK, I guess the museum staff can spend a lot of time tending the plants and preparing the ground, but whenever I visit Beamish, I always go through the same envious emotions!

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
Re: Allotment envy!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 13:36 »
If not even a nibble in sight, you would have to think it's being done with chemicals.  But it does make you wonder how on earth they controlled the pests before the invention of chemical sprays etc
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

SG6

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 13:38 »
One side of my family are in Ashington, a large pit village, and the houses that the pitmen lived in were and still are back to back terraced with no rear garden to speak of. Certainly not anything that could in any form be called "allotment" That really is an exageration.

Since I have known the place the rear gardens on the terraced houses were all simply concrete, where things could be stored. Never saw a garden at the rear of any.

I would suspect that what is presented is a very much idealised view of life and not actually representative of the reality of it.

They grow leeks for show, and, if like one of my uncles, the secret of growing the largest will be taken to the grave with them.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 13:46 »
I was brought up in an old Victorian terraced house in a working-class street of similar houses. In the 1940s every back yard was cultivated to grow food for the table. By the end of the 1950s they'd all been flagged or concreted over to provide storage space so I wouldn't pour too much scorn on the Beamish idyll

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 14:31 »
I spoke to one of the gardeners at Beamish once when he was tending the veggies at Pocklington Manor. They've got a set of full time gardeners and access to industrial quantities of horse manure.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 15:06 »
Ashington, a large pit village.... well, once upon a time, possibly! It's just up the road from me, and there's not a whole lot of mining done there now, and it has expanded well beyond village size!

In fact, the terrace of houses in the Beamish pit village were transferred brick-by-brick from Hetton-le-hole, so I have no doubt they are genuine. Maybe the word allotment is an exaggeration, but basically, the long, narrow front garden of each house is a vegetable plot rather than a garden (http://www.flickr.com/photos/beamishmuseum/5901383512/)

One other question... would any of this mega-veg actually be edible!?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 15:45 »
The veg at the Eden Project, Heligan and the local National Trust properties is always annoyingly perfect!

They all pretty much promote no-chemicals so they must spend a fortune on nematodes!
Thats my guess anyway! :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 16:33 »
Maybe the word allotment is an exaggeration, but basically, the long, narrow front garden of each house is a vegetable plot rather than a garden (http://www.flickr.com/photos/beamishmuseum/5901383512/)

:D  My garden is in the front like that  :D so think it must have been quite common at one time.

My soil is dark and dusty like that as well  ;)

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 17:09 »
lots of hoss muck and soot for slugs in them days
R

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 17:22 »
Very interesting museum pix.  :D

xx
Tomato envy

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 10:01
by Bizzi Lizzi
xx
put me name down for a allotment

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 21:42
by surbie100
xx
New allotment

Started by barryandbren on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 11:46
by mumofstig
xx
can't get an allotment :{

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 15:44
by hickorychickory

Page created in 0.644 seconds with 38 queries.