ox heart

• 26 Replies

gobs

ox heart
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 21:30 »
Oh dear, I thought it was ready by now, hence the question. :shock:  :lol:
How long are you going to be starved yet? Never mind, as long as it's good, worth the wait. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mushroom

ox heart
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 22:13 »
I'm sorry I didn't see Munty's recipe before  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
It's been in for an hr now, gas 4-5, covered in foil. hungrygirlfriend is in attendance and you know what that means, it means now :) so next time I'll cook it the Munty way.

It wasn't a whole heart, the side covered in paxo is the sliced side, what chambers there were I filled with stuffing. hardly any valves from what i could see, still, hopefully the foil will keep it moist, going to add more wine in a min.

Expect to eat it in the next hr.

muntjac

ox heart
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 22:20 »
turn it up if ya wana just add more fluid n it shoue be done in 30 mins on full :wink:  i always find gas dries food out more than electric anywys  :)
still alive /............

mushroom

ox heart
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 23:30 »
it's coming along nicely :)

mushroom

ox heart
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 00:48 »
the meat was really nice, really tender. I don't think it needs any special treatment, apart from wine... i think the next time, i'll just treat it like regular beef. Stuffing it with paxo was a bad idea, i'll stuff it with coarse veg next time. gravy needs to be thin. i'll have it with spuds or mash next time, rather than rice. i overcooked the broccoli and carrots. i'll maybe add 1 clove of garlic next time, rather than 7. this is how we learn.

it was a complete mess. it was all eaten though  :oops:  :oops:  :cry:  :lol:

muntjac

ox heart
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 08:11 »
the previos recipe was lambs heart .. my mistke they are small and cook fast  :wink:

mushroom

ox heart
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 08:39 »
There was a lot of meat left over, now in the fridge. I'll make a beef stew out of the rest of it. The meat is very very lean, it seems the wine and the slow covered cooking took care of that. I can see why traditionally it's a peasant dish - that heart fed 2 people last night and there's enough meat there to serve another 2 meals for 2 people (6 meals in all) and it cost under 4 quid  :shock:

muntjac

ox heart
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 08:43 »
ur must be feeding little people lol,me n my boys could do that in one lol mind they are 6ft6 n 7 n 15 stone ...im 6 n 14stone ,,, :lol: snack anybody?

mushroom

ox heart
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 08:51 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
ur must be feeding little people lol,me n my boys could do that in one lol mind they are 6ft6 n 7 n 15 stone ...im 6 n 14stone ,,, :lol: snack anybody?

Im over 6ft gf is a foot smaller tho :) theres a lot of meat on the heart - I think maybe the butcher did me a deal, it was near the end of the day and they don't sell well these days because everyone knows meat comes on a polystyrene tray and is square or round  :x

muntjac

ox heart
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 09:17 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
Quote from: "muntjac"

Im over 6ft gf is a foot smaller tho :) theres a lot of meat on the heart - I think maybe the butcher did me a deal, it was near the end of the day and they don't sell well these days because everyone knows meat comes on a polystyrene tray and is square or round  :x

best part of the beast ,innit  :wink:  try it stir fried .asian style .thai fried is gooood as well ,, makes great steak n kiddddley pies  :wink:

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
ox heart
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 11:53 »
heart is a very undermined meat many people wont even try it simply because of what it is.
are local farm shop give them away simpley because there is no customers to buy them.
i dont stuff mine but i do do stuffing with the meal.i cover mine in garlic and rosemary.i have also done them where i let them soak over night in red wine.
i love heart sandwiches the next day .

muntjac

ox heart
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 12:00 »
Quote from: "Little Miss Muffet"
i love heart sandwiches the next day .

like best steak  :wink:

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 36 queries.