Weedkiller help - My paths are driving me NUTS!

• 21 Replies

BabbyAnn

Re: Weedkiller help - My paths are driving me NUTS!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 09:10 »
I always used Wilkinsons Glyphosate.
It's around £5 for a 1lt bottle i think

£11 a litre at my Wilkos  ???

stompy

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 09:16 »
Urghh, that's gone up, shows you how long ago i bought some.  ???

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 09:39 »
One thing's for sure - they don't make it very easy to compare how much bang per buck you are getting (wonder why?  ::))

On the Wilkinsons website they do two own-brand types - concentrated at 11.45 pence per gram of glyphosate, and super-concentrated which works out at 11.08 pence per gram.

Some other branded versions come in sachets - if I'm reading the description right Bayer "super strength" garden glyphosate sachets work out at 27.5 pence per gram, whereas the Bayer 1 litre ready-mixed trigger bottle is 52.2 pence per gram.  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 12:02 »
Claire... call in to see me if I'm there next time you are at our plots with Nick...

I get the well known type in the green and yellow bottle from ebay... it's concentrated and only use 15ml per 1 lt spray bottle... great value... or search for glyphosate on ebay - there are loads of good deals at a fraction of the price of a ready mixed bottle..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:03 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

jabailey

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 18:55 »
My immediate reaction when you mentioned a tufted spiky grass was Deschampsia cespitosa; Tufted hair-grass. Usually found in damp meadows on badly drained clayey soil. Not sure about glyphosate but it should do the trick.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 10:01 »
To be able to visit my plot and not come home looking like some mud bathed monster from the deep and not to trip up over these stupid stubbon weeds each time would be bliss!  It's got me down over the last few months and even put me off going at times.

You're not on your own there! Good luck with the weedkilling!
Surbie

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 20:35 »
To be able to visit my plot and not come home looking like some mud bathed monster from the deep and not to trip up over these stupid stubbon weeds each time would be bliss!  It's got me down over the last few months and even put me off going at times.

You're not on your own there! Good luck with the weedkilling!
Surbie

Attacking these beasts will always be a problem, but class it as the same sort of problem you have in growing things!

I nail my organic credentials to the mast with trying to grow eveyrthing as God intended, but the same God helped us to find weedkillers etc from chemicals which are naturally formed, so if I need to zap a weed, then I will, with the strongest zapper I can fnd, because I don't grow stuff for slugs, snails, weevils, white and blackfly, raspberry beetle, pidgeons, pheasants (oh yes - here, and fungal probelems like blight etc.

Just be thankful that you have the conscious ability and cumulative skills to get proper plants growing your own food for your own table.  The pests out there are a huge hindrance to your livelihood - even your existence, if you want to get romantic, and we didn't evolve as humans just to watch the same greedy pests devour the results of your hard work at the stroke of a rake!

Weeds are just an annoyance, and with the regular clomping, they go away, and they make great compst (as long as they are not perennials). Paths are a Godsend as I've admitted before, because you can even lie down and weed, which is an interesting idea...;0)

Rant over ...;0) 

xx
Nuts

Started by drizabone on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 16:22
by GreenOwl
xx
Pig Nuts

Started by ratman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 06:45
by Porcia
xx
pig nuts anyone

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 20:44
by Madame Cholet
xx
You might think I'm nuts but...

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 19:53
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 38 queries.