Squashes with no fruit

• 21 Replies

Auntiemogs

Re: Squashes with no fruit
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 05:08 »
Sorry Kirpi, can't help myself!  :lol:  I hope you REALLY like the taste of pumpkin.  Apparently it has a multitude of uses and I'm sure you'll give us a link to your new book when you've written it.  :D

Actually, would probably have done the same if I had room for pumpkins and you're probably not the first....

Got my first Uchiki Kuri to try this year but it is only a wee thing.  Not much of a meal there I'm afraid but looking forward to it.  :tongue2:

Can't stop thinking about what you're going to do with it all but I'm sure some suggestions will come along later so thanks for making me smile.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 07:24 »
I pulled out a patty pan last week that only had male flowers this year... :)

Had the same problem. Did have one fruit but the slugs got to it before I noticed it! >:(

Turnba

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 09:34 »
Wow, thanks everyone! There's a lot of info here.

I went along last night, and although it was quite dark I think I saw one female flower quite close to the stem of one plant. I can go along armed with a paint brush tonight. How long do the fruits take to ripen (length of a piece of string?). I'm guessing it's not like courgette where I'll be picking it in under a week. Given that it's late in the year should I trim back the plant and force it to ripen a bit?

stompy

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36 »
Im not growing anything this year but from past experience the cooler weather will be the probable cause.
If we have a good hot (well it's the UK so warm) summer you get more female flowers and much better fruit set.
The last few years, here in Hull at least, have been prety poor summers and as a result the butternuts havn't produced hardly anything.

Andy

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 13:44 »
Quite apart from the temps, I think this year there has been a problem with pollination on a lot of crops. There was just so much rain for so long that for fairly long periods there weren't any insects around to do the pollinating. Even before the blight hit my outdoor tomatoes, there were hardly any fruit on them although the plants themselves looked very strong and healthy. In previous years I've grown the same varieties and had huge crops from them.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 14:32 »
Shokkyy -  my garden is surrounded by privet hedges rather than anything readily available for things to climb up, but I will definitely think about your suggestion next year (I can see the advantage of letting them climb up as far away as possible from the slugs, the damp soil, and towards the light.)  :)

Yes, I've got privet hedge too, but I've got an old dead tree trunk as a climbing support in my garden. It's got strong wire round it, perfect for climbing. I did also put a bit of chicken wire round the outside, to protect them from rabbits and dogs, but I didn't have to tie them in at all, just did a bit of steering to keep them in the right direction. Here's my happy climbing Uchiki Kuri, taken a few weeks back. It's now got several good sized fruit on it.
Uchiki Kuri (440 x 587).jpg

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 22:17 »
I am growing various courgettes including tricolor round courgettes which have all been prolific. 

I had two Mars pumpkins - both of which produced one pumpkin each but one of the plants died off with downy mildew and I had to remove a decent sized pumpkin which now languishes in cold storage. 

I have a patty pan that has produced six fruits, two hundred weight pumpkins - one fruit is approximately 1 foot diameter at the moment.  I also grew a celebration winter squash which has produced 8 fruits which are growing well.  The butternut squash has done nothing!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Page created in 0.779 seconds with 37 queries.