Squashes with no fruit

• 21 Replies

Turnba

Squashes with no fruit
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:19 »
Hi all

I have a few squash plants (sorry, I forget the variety) that have been growing fine (uncovered) for months into long stems with many flowers, but there are no fruits forming. I've been reading about cross-fertilising with courgette pollen but I don't see anything that's obviously a female flower on the squashes.

Are the female flowers on squashes as easy to spot as on courgettes? If they are and I'm just not getting any, are there ways to encourage female flowers? I know it's getting late in the year :-P

Thanks,

Michael.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Squashes with no fruit
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:03 »
The female flowers will have a small fruit behind the flower, some are larger than others - but they will be there.

I've noticed on mine that there are less female flowers this year, so it may be a weather thing ::)

Sorry, I don't think there is anything you can do to correct it  :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 13:15 »
Hi there,
You're not on your own - I have 4 butternut squash plants that have so far only had 3 female flowers between them, though there are at least 25 male flowers.
The turk's turban are romping away though, so am not sure what the difference has been - mother nature at her quirkiest?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 13:18 »
I did 3 varieties this year, Harlequin, Uchiki Kuri and Crown Prince. The UK I've got climbing up an old tree trunk surrounded by wire in the middle of the lawn. They look beautiful, they're much happier climbing so their heads are in the sun, and they're bothered less by the slugs. Despite the slow start and horrible weather, they're going to give me a decent crop, not big but worthwhile.

The CP and Harlequin I tried on top of a compost bin (total failure, sickly and pale) and in a bed with the peas and beans. In both places I haven't got a single fruit on the CP. They did have a few tiny fruit but all rotted and fell off. The Harlequin do have some small fruit on them but I doubt they have time now to grow to a worthwhile size.

This year the conditions have been very difficult for squash, but it does seem to me that some varieties are just a lot more able to cope with our climate than others, with UK being the obvious winner of the varieties I tried this year and last.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 15:30 »
Only winter squash I'm growing this year is Uchiki Kuri (first time with this variety.)

Like all my "summer stuff" it sulked through June and most of July (too wet and/or cold no doubt) and also got a further slight set back by slugs, despite my best efforts.

It (its mate didn't survive  :() then went on to produce only female flowers, which in desperation I pollinated with courgette pollen about a month ago. Two of those have set small fruit of a fetching shade of orange, and despite not getting larger than golf-ball size they've not fallen off either!  

It's now starting to grow quite rampantly in all directions, but it's too late I fear, although it has set one proper fruit all on its own (yellow - hopefully that's the right colour!)  :unsure:
Edit: just had another look and there are two yellow fruit set - whoopee (time to order another freezer!)  :)

Bit of a saga in other words - I shall try again next year because I think Mumofstig rates them and I can appreciate they have at least tried hard!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 17:14 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 17:20 »
Lack of fruit is nothing to do with variety. Someone gave me two Munchkin pumpkin plants which were planted next to each other following early potatoes, and not until July. One plant has about 10 beatiful mini pumpkins, as it should, and the other has sprawled everywhere and only produced male flowers.

I tell a lie, it did have one female flower last week. I have pulled it out and composted it.

Fruit that form now are unlikely to ripen properly and the plants are better stopped to make them put all their energy into existing fruits.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 17:33 »
I've been growing Uchiki Kuri and Harlequin up my trellis and though a fair few flowers set, the fruit got to about an inch or so across and fell off so I will be lucky to get one fruit per plant.

Had the same problem with my courgettes (only had 2-3 per plant so far) and my one Butterbush (bush butternut) is only an inch long.  Very cute, but harldly a meal!  :lol:

The only thing that seems to have been doing well (note the past tense) is my golden nugget squash.  Had 4 so far from 4 plants and loads of little ones but they seem to be ripening off far too small.

I'm putting it down to the weather this year so shall try again next year.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 18:17 »
Fruit that form now are unlikely to ripen properly and the plants are better stopped to make them put all their energy into existing fruits.

They still have time in the South, assuming we don't get frosts till the normal time of year   ::)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 21:53 »
Only winter squash I'm growing this year is Uchiki Kuri (first time with this variety.)

Like all my "summer stuff" it sulked through June and most of July (too wet and/or cold no doubt) and also got a further slight set back by slugs, despite my best efforts.

My UKs were very late to get going and did look very sickly and pale, but in the last few weeks they've stormed off and grown several fruit, some of which are already a decent size and ripening nicely. Once they grow, they do grow very fast. Because the fruit isn't as big as a lot of the squash varieties, they do develop faster and just don't seem to need as long a season.

I'm sold on growing them as climbers though. Last year they accidentally clambered up a chain link fence and seemed to like it, so this year I gave them a good climbing platform and since the temps got a bit better they've picked up very quickly. I think when they're higher they just get that bit of extra sun, they're not lying on cold, damp ground and and they're not constantly being attacked by slugs and snails. And UKs are good for this because the fruit are not so big they need supporting.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 22:20 »
Shokkyy -  my garden is surrounded by privet hedges rather than anything readily available for things to climb up, but I will definitely think about your suggestion next year (I can see the advantage of letting them climb up as far away as possible from the slugs, the damp soil, and towards the light.)  :)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 22:38 »
I pulled out a patty pan last week that only had male flowers this year... :)
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 22:43 »
I've had a few patty pans so far.  Was a bit disappointed that all 5 plants from the T&M 'mixed selection' are all white but guess I should be grateful I have any at all!  ::)  Just got to decide what to do with them now...over to 'Recipes & Cooking' methinks....

Kirpi

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 00:07 »
I've got lots of UK fruits developing. The question is - what do they taste like? Will I like them?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 00:34 »
That's what I was worried about too Kipi.  What are you growing?

Kirpi

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 02:00 »
Uchiki Kuri, first time this year and good old Butternut Squash - and a Jack O Lantern Pumpkin.  The Jack O Lantern was a mistake - I read "Medium Orange Pumpkin" and thought it meant a medium sized orange pumpkin - it actually meant a large pumpkin that was medium orange! Now I have pumpkins the size of fairy tale carriages! All I need is a couple of frogs and four mice!

Page created in 1.108 seconds with 39 queries.