chicken fertilizer

• 4 Replies

eneville

chicken fertilizer
« on: September 02, 2012, 20:19 »
Hi all,

I've a quick question. We have three chickens and a dump of a garden, I'm wondering what we can do with their poo to turn the garden around.

For the past fifteen weeks I've been filling a compost bin with their saw dust, straw and poo, but could I be digging the chicken poo straight into the Earth? Am I wasting time by putting it into compost when I could just dig it straight in, there's nothing growing right now, and if there were, would it be harmful to the plants? I've never run a garden or compost bin previously!

Thanks

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: chicken fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 20:39 »
Chicken nesting material is really too strong to use uncomposted - the high nitrogen content of the wee and poo is likely to burn plants without composting first, so it sounds like you are doing the right thing.  You need to empty the contents of your compost bin onto you garden to feed it up when it is rotted down.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

eneville

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 21:13 »
Thanks, I wasn't sure because I've heard tales of people in days gone by where horse poo was stolen from the streets and used immediately on roses, I guess horses and chickens have very different digestion systems (aside from different diets)

So how long does the process normally take to break down, should I use compost activator or other chemicals to speed the process?

Are there any situations where the chicken poo can be used without going through compost, such as plants which crave raw chicken poo?

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 22:33 »
You won't need an activator if you have any animal manure in your compost. If you have a good mix of materials you shouldn't need any activator for any compost. Stuff has this habit of rotting down all by itself. I certainly wouldn't advise using it neat on any plants, as Angela says, it's much too strong. Just mix it with other stuff like kitchen and garden waste and you should have some amazing compost next spring.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 04:47 »
I do the exact opposite. Once the garden is finished for the season, I dump about an inch layer of fresh chicken poo over the garden and leave it to overwinter. By spring, it's just fine for planting. I do not, however, spread the fresh poo around my garlic or other overwintering veg as it's simply too strong and will kill them. The worms don't seem to mind at all.

xx
How much fertilizer to use

Started by growing4us on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 10:30
by Salmo
xx
What fertilizer to use

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 09:06
by mumofstig
xx
fertilizer

Started by Neil Doncaster on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 16:18
by ARPoet
xx
diy fertilizer

Started by Gareth J on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 23:37
by Salmo

Page created in 0.859 seconds with 36 queries.