Tomatos ill growing in conservatory

• 61 Replies

JohnB

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2007, 19:00 »
That other ebay address did not work this i think does

www//cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hydroponics-125w-grow-light-lamp-Envirolite-hanger_W0QQitemZ260183741092QQihZ016QQcategoryZ43555QQss

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2007, 19:02 »
I'm afraid I've no experience with artificial lighting so can't comment.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2007, 20:01 »
Try comparing against These John you really looking at balancing the light levels to create summer lighting strength and length 14 hrs.

Try looking at some hydroponic sites they may be able to shed more light on the subject ( no pun intended ). In fact if you follow the cultural instructions for weed thats about on the net you probably will not go far wrong. But it probably won't be economically worth it to be honest unless one of those on ebay will work, which IMHO probably will.

As to your leaves I tend to agree with the consensus of cold draft or cold air pocket. but you may also want to consider the lack of air movement in a conservatory as this could lead to mould and wilt problems.

Try here this is well worth any one who grows tom's book marking.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 14:29 »
I tend to keep a couple of tomato plants over winter in my conservatory (sown the previous spring, so full grown). They are usually quite happy, despite some quite low temperatures, until the spring (when the conservatory feels like summer) and then they flower. This gives me a steady crop of small toms at a time when I'm just beginning to sow the next year's lot. So I get tomatoes for longer but I wouldn't expect anything until spring.
So John, you should get yourself a few months head start. Another way to extend your season is by storing tomatoes. I've only just got the last of my green tomatoes to ripen and if you want them for cooking they can be frozen. Good luck

JohnB

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2007, 14:59 »
Quote from: "Noah'strolly"
I tend to keep a couple of tomato plants over winter in my conservatory (sown the previous spring, so full grown). They are usually quite happy, despite some quite low temperatures, until the spring (when the conservatory feels like summer) and then they flower. This gives me a steady crop of small toms at a time when I'm just beginning to sow the next year's lot. So I get tomatoes for longer but I wouldn't expect anything until spring.
So John, you should get yourself a few months head start. Another way to extend your season is by storing tomatoes. I've only just got the last of my green tomatoes to ripen and if you want them for cooking they can be frozen. Good luck

Thanks They seem better now that am using a fan heater in the conservatory. Have about 8 should i cut this down as its only for myself? The salad leaves seem quite happy but slow to grow?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 17:29 »
Quote from: "JohnB"
They seem better now that am using a fan heater in the conservatory.

Good news John,  Seems my idea for stiring the air up has worked  :D

JohnB

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2007, 18:12 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sallt"
Good news John,  Seems my idea for stiring the air up has worked  :D

Definatly better not sure about the running costs though. Maybe i need to grow some more plants to make it worth it! Will try with a timer so it is not on constantly?   JOHN

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2007, 18:21 »
Definatly better not sure about the running costs though. Maybe i need to grow some more plants to make it worth it! Will try with a timer so it is not on constantly?   JOHN

I think it might be too expensive for me, I just buy toms when I can't grow them  :D

JohnB

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2007, 18:28 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

I think it might be too expensive for me, I just buy toms when I can't grow them  :D

I think i may do the same but i don't drive and the nearest shops are 4 or 5 miles away and i can't always be bothered although store reasonable well. I might just put a couple of the siting room window or something and see if the salad leaves can no without heat?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2007, 18:31 »
Do you have a neighbour who would pick you up some fresh salad when they go shopping by car John  :?:

JohnB

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2007, 09:50 »
Do you have a neighbour who would pick you up some fresh salad when they go shopping by car John  :?:

I think they would probably tell me to sod off they would say if you can cycle 22 mile to the pub and back 2 or 3 times a week then you can cycle the 4 miles to the shop and i would have to agree with them. Tesco is delivering £240 worth of shopping tonight i hope i am back from walking (with a shortish stop at a pub on the way) in time for them. See what i mean? JB

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2007, 16:15 »

I think they would probably tell me to sod off they would say if you can cycle 22 mile to the pub and back 2 or 3 times a week then you can cycle the 4 miles to the shop and i would have to agree with them. Tesco is delivering £240 worth of shopping tonight i hope i am back from walking (with a shortish stop at a pub on the way) in time for them. See what i mean? JB

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  They would have a point  :wink:

jlottie

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2007, 22:38 »
Hi John,  I'm trying to keep my toms going in an unheated Polytunnel as a bit of a challenge and they are looking rather sad but still desperately trying to produce new fruit.  Its not only the warmth they need but sunlight which is in short supply this time of year.  Anything you manage to produce over the next couple of months is a bonus  :)

JohnB

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2007, 22:46 »
Quote from: "jlottie"
Hi John,  I'm trying to keep my toms going in an unheated Polytunnel as a bit of a challenge and they are looking rather sad but still desperately trying to produce new fruit.  Its not only the warmth they need but sunlight which is in short supply this time of year.  Anything you manage to produce over the next couple of months is a bonus  :)

I have had no toms of these yet? I have only been growing them for about 6 weeks or so. They are growing really well but they look a little thin? they appear to be growing to fast (or to tall). Am pinching out the tops but they don't seem to care?          JB

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2007, 22:50 »
I had a second spurt of new growth on a couple of mine in the polytunnel, and they even had new fruits coming along, but the fruits are just dropping off still small and unripe, so I've picked all the ripe and semi ripe ones, but I wouldn't be able to afford to keep the tunnel or greenhouses heated just for a few tomatoes, so make do with my frozen ones and supermarket fresh ones until the new ones grow next year.

I admire you for keeping on trying though John.

xx
conservatory

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 13:52
by lucywil
xx
Seeds in a conservatory

Started by charliesmum on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2007, 16:29
by Annie
xx
what can I grow over winter in my conservatory?

Started by daisy1990 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 17:00
by daisy1990
xx
Leeks - when to sow seed in cold conservatory in Southern England?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2016, 21:42
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.644 seconds with 36 queries.