Veg library...

• 10 Replies

Growster...

Veg library...
« on: August 29, 2012, 21:11 »
Here's a new one...

We liquidise veg for various options - manly soups, and as we freeze these in bags on a flat surface, they finish up like envelopes of the good stuff!

So; if they're stored like books, you could finish up with a freezer shelf of various veg, all neatly frozen in easy-to-use 'books', and have plenty of space to keep the soup saucepan full thoughout the whole year...

...just a thought...;0)

(Growster, that is one of the silliest postings you've ever made, and pleae put that glass down now...- Ed)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Veg library...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 21:20 »
What a good idea!

I freeze mine in plastic sandwich bags, inside margarine tubs.  Once frozen I take the bag out of the tub and stack them in the freezer, that way I don't need so many margarine tubs!

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 00:43 »
Growster I very much like the sound of your idea. I can imagine all the different volumes vegetables lined up in varying colours and shades.

I have a feeling this idea could catch on especially if there was a vessel to put a defrosting volume into...something like a narrow pouring jug with lid and lip.

The idea might be possible with fruit juices too as well as vegetables.

Wouldn't they all look great in one of those upright, glass-fronted freezer cabinets that you find in supermarkets as well as being so easy to organise in a home freezer.

Birds-eye, Ross or findus might be interested in hearing from you!!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:26 »
What a good idea!

I freeze mine in plastic sandwich bags, inside margarine tubs.  Once frozen I take the bag out of the tub and stack them in the freezer, that way I don't need so many margarine tubs!

Grannie, when they made you, 'they threw away the mould', which is exactly what you're doing!

Great idea that!

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 06:29 »
Growster I very much like the sound of your idea. I can imagine all the different volumes vegetables lined up in varying colours and shades.

I have a feeling this idea could catch on especially if there was a vessel to put a defrosting volume into...something like a narrow pouring jug with lid and lip.

The idea might be possible with fruit juices too as well as vegetables.

Wouldn't they all look great in one of those upright, glass-fronted freezer cabinets that you find in supermarkets as well as being so easy to organise in a home freezer.

Birds-eye, Ross or findus might be interested in hearing from you!!

This is indeed an interesting turn you provide Paul - thank you!

You can buy flat jugs for fridge doors (we have one as a filter jug), so that would be fine for the job you mention!

As for the shops you mention; the phone hasn't actually rung yet, but I'll wait in hope...;0)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:36 by Growster... »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:22 »
What a good idea!

Grannie, when they made you, 'they threw away the mould', which is exactly what you're doing!

Great idea that!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 20:21 »
great idea I seam to waste lots of space in mine need ti find something square and flat curry or coleslaw containers?
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 20:37 »
Apparently the hexagon is the most efficient shape to pack, so really we need hexagon moulds for shaping our frozen purees and soups! Don't think I would trust my packaging not to leak if I tried freezing flat, I do similar to GrannieAnnie at the minute.
Here's a new one...

We liquidise veg for various options - manly soups, and as we freeze these in bags on a flat surface, they finish up like envelopes of the good stuff!

So; if they're stored like books, you could finish up with a freezer shelf of various veg, all neatly frozen in easy-to-use 'books', and have plenty of space to keep the soup saucepan full thoughout the whole year...

...just a thought...;0)

(Growster, that is one of the silliest postings you've ever made, and pleae put that glass down now...- Ed)

I don't think it is a silly idea! It is practical! Just sounds daft! :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 02:44 »
Apparently the hexagon is the most efficient shape to pack, so really we need hexagon moulds for shaping our frozen purees and soups! Don't think I would trust my packaging not to leak if I tried freezing flat, I do similar to GrannieAnnie at the minute.

Hexagons are pretty good for creating tessellations but not so efficient if you want to stack rows vertically. I'll vote for the book-end freezer modules. They really would look brilliant on a freezer shelf.  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 17:17 »
It is a good idea but I still keep giggling at the thought of Growster's veg library - only you would come up with a name like that Growster  :lol:

Shame we can't all share a huge communal freezer and have library cards so we could trade our gluts for something we didn't manage to grow  :D

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 05:41 »
It is a good idea but I still keep giggling at the thought of Growster's veg library - only you would come up with a name like that Growster  :lol:

Shame we can't all share a huge communal freezer and have library cards so we could trade our gluts for something we didn't manage to grow  :D

Ha ha ha! News, you always come up with another view that nobody has thought of, don't you!

Perhaps a new version of 'Pass the parcel' but using veg from each library might work, but it would have to be pretty damn quick, as these veg books melt in about half an hour...;0)

Now if John and Val could fund a freezer van...hmmmm, that might work...

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 38 queries.