Where to site comfrey

• 13 Replies

obelia

Where to site comfrey
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:09 »
I've read a lot (and plenty in these forums!) about the virtues of comfrey and would like to grow a patch in the allotment.

Our allotment is a long plot running north to south, and I would really like to grow it up at the north end, which gets sun during the day but is shaded by a building late in the afternoon.  It's the one tricky part of our plot, so we could grow the comfrey there and never move it. It's also near to our shed and to our nearest water tap & butt.

BUT it is a long way from our compost heap, which is about fifty feet away towards the south end of the plot. To put leaves on the compost we'd have to transport them past all the veg beds. Will that distance be too much of a hassle? Should I try and find a place for it down by the compost? Any thoughts much appreciated :)

Kirpi

Re: Where to site comfrey
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:15 »
Fifty feet? You could catch a bus?

Seriously, grow comfrey and you'll never regret it. You only take three cuts off it a year so fifty feet is not much hassle at all.

obelia

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:29 »
Haha! thank you! You can tell I've never grown comfrey before  :lol:

You're right, that's no trouble at all. Three cuts a year! I didn't know if I'd be taking it back and forth all the time :D

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:06 »
The advantage of having it fifty feet from the heap is that it will have started to wilt before you get it there!  I wouldn't add fresh leaves to the heap.. that's how we got our plants.  Someone on a neighbouring plot used theirs fresh and the leaves sprouted into new plants.

I cut mine and use it directly as a surface mulch or into a bucket for stinky-tea.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:46 »
Leaves made new plants? Crikey - didn't know they did that. I was going to post about cutting mine down complete with flowers and putting it into the compost bin - would they produce seeds etc, but think I'll use as a mulch - but then would they seed into my soil or do I have to strip all the leaves off the stems for the mulch and discard the rest?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:56 »
Leaves made new plants? Crikey - didn't know they did that. I was going to post about cutting mine down complete with flowers and putting it into the compost bin - would they produce seeds etc, but think I'll use as a mulch - but then would they seed into my soil or do I have to strip all the leaves off the stems for the mulch and discard the rest?

If you have Bocking 14 the seeds are sterile (or the plant is sterile and no seeds are produced - I forget which).  I hadn't heard of the leaves sprouting myself, but this is the story the plot neighbour gave as she handed over a bundle of plants.

I just cut down the plant - stems, leaves, flowers and all - and lay it flat on the soil surface as a mulch.  It seems to dry out and then breakdown quite quickly into the soil.

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 12:44 »
any corner will do, mine is in shade. As you only cut in 2 or 3 time s a season trip to compost heap is not too bad but wear gloves and long sleeves --  some people get adverse reaction from little hairs on the plants.
R

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 15:31 »
I agree with the skin irritation - I never learn though  :nowink:

I've never had plants growing from leaves and I use them a lot as a mulch (which get dug in at the end of the summer season) and to line potato trenches and very rarely have any left to put into the compost bin.  I can only think that the end of the stem was close to the root when cut back and this was able to grow.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 16:52 »
Put the Bockings between the compost bins or very near to them. They are not fussy about location as long as they're not in deep shade. Mine are in the hedge bottom and do fine  :)

Kirpi

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 19:30 »
I've never had plants growing from leaves

If you pull a leave and place it in a jar of water you will get roots growing out of the leaf stem. I guess the volunteer plants come from contact with water and soil, which is all they need to sprout another plant.

If they are dug under or left on top to rot down you should be ok.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:39 »
I've never had plants growing from leaves

If you pull a leave and place it in a jar of water you will get roots growing out of the leaf stem. I guess the volunteer plants come from contact with water and soil, which is all they need to sprout another plant.

If they are dug under or left on top to rot down you should be ok.

Oooh thanks for that bit of advice  :)  I've just bought some Blocking 14 from work as the flowers were so pretty, so will multiply my stock  :)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 09:33 »
left to their own devices, comfrey plants will grow to chest height and with a spread of several feet so bear that in mind when deciding where to plant it. Comfrey is just as happy in shade as it is in full sun so will grow anywhere and is deep-rooted, drawing up nutrients from the subsoil rather than the surface. It's a great plant with many uses and will grow nicely on any redundant area of ground. The only issue with it is that, once established, it's very difficult to remove completely from wherever you have planted it. I have some under an area that I covered with a tarp several years ago and the comfrey still pushes the tarp up even now!
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

obelia

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 13:47 »
Fascinating stuff, I think I will put the comfrey in the "awkward" spot and see how it gets on! Will remember about the skin irritation too, thanks for the warning.

Surface mulch sounds good, since I will be carrying it past the beds anyway! I had heard that comfrey used as a mulch acts as a slug lure (to distract them from eating the crops - anyone seen this in practice?) so will see if that happens or not...

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 08:49 »
After reading this thread I have been on ebay and ordered 5 Bocking 14 cuttings, which should be arriving today.  I too plan to put them into my "awkward" area (between the rear of the greenhouse and the compost bays).  However, this is also the area where I let my chooks out of their run into to scratch about in.  Does anyone know if comfrey is chicken-proof?
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

xx
new site now what.

Started by ravenzero1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 21:00
by ravenzero1
xx
New Site

Started by mikey9863 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 18:57
by muntjac
xx
New Site

Started by monkseyuk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 08:03
by Yorkie
xx
The Site

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 19:16
by DavidT

Page created in 0.83 seconds with 29 queries.