Hello

• 7 Replies

vonnie49

Hello
« on: August 25, 2012, 13:18 »
Hello everyone, I have an allotment at the bottom of a hill ( longway up to gate ), and in the past year have managed to clear and cultivate 1/2 of it. Battling constantly with giant weeds including, horsetail, thistles, brambles, bindweed,dandelions, rose bay willowherb, speedwell, groundsel and more I seem to spend all my time dealing with weeds and am now tempted to use weedkiller. Any comments on the use of them welcome please!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 13:31 »
Hello and welcome vonnie. :D I'll move your post to the GYO board to make sure plenty people see your question. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 15:31 »
I use them as and when i feel necessary and use them on the paths of my allotment.

Some people disaprove but i use as and when and keep their use down to a minimum

SG6

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 16:58 »
It sounds as if the weeds are managing to hold you back or at least keep you stationary.

Glyphosphate is the obvious one, spraying being the normal approach. Just make sure that you do it on a still day to minimise risk to nearby plots and crops.

That should enable you to get on top of them.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 21:36 »
Hi vonnie and welcome.

There was a recent post that a few of us contributed to that you might find useful as it discusses using glyphosate based weedkillers:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=97845.0
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

vonnie49

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 11:35 »
Thankyou-think I may struggle on with pulling, covering and hoeing for another year ....!

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 12:22 »
You could always spot-weed difficult ones like brambles and bindweed, but covering is a good option and it will give you time to cultivate the other half before you attack this half!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 16:18 »
Vonnie
I have had my allotment a couple of years - I too struggled with weeds ( and still do !!) The worst thing is clearing an area and then watching the weeds come back. Bind weed I am struggling with a lot - It grows down into the clay and I just can not remove all the roots. However, I have had success this year with using Mulch mats(Black woven plastic ) - 6 m by 2 m. I covered three areas - and planted courgettes and Squash through them - the courgettes have been great - the squash look good - lots at 6" long ..... It has meant that I have one less area to weed this year - but have been able to use it to grow something. The Mulch mats were £9 each . Meanwhile it has let me concentrate on keeping the rest of the plot weed free  - It is not a complete solution but I hope this helps...

Page created in 0.789 seconds with 37 queries.